Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are the windows that are situated on the roofline on some MPVs called?

5 posters

Go down

What are the windows that are situated on the roofline on some MPVs called? Empty What are the windows that are situated on the roofline on some MPVs called?

Post by CheesyBISTO Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:54 pm

Good evening Ladies and Gentleman.

Whilst I still don't own one (yet) I've spotted a few MPVs with high up side windows in the roof section, similar to the Land Rover Alpine windows.

Does anybody know what they're called?

Would fitting them to a panel van be a pain? (pun intended)

Would it be easier to put an MPV roof on instead?

Plan is to convert a panel van into a little stealth camper, and those windows struck me as a brilliant idea to get some daylight without diminishing it's stealthyness.

This is all assuming I can actually find some.

Thanks.

CheesyBISTO

Back to top Go down

What are the windows that are situated on the roofline on some MPVs called? Empty Re: What are the windows that are situated on the roofline on some MPVs called?

Post by Raggy Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:53 pm

They are from a conversion done to accept a wheelchair user so they could see when strapped in the back in their chair. You may be lucky to find one, probably not that common.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

What are the windows that are situated on the roofline on some MPVs called? Empty Re: What are the windows that are situated on the roofline on some MPVs called?

Post by Guest Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:37 am

a subaru libero e10 often has them to
What are the windows that are situated on the roofline on some MPVs called? Subaru10

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesyBISTO Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:44 am

That's them! Perhaps it would be easier to get similar shaped windows from a canal cruiser, could even get ones that open. Definately something to ponder over.

CheesyBISTO

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:46 am

you could get a twingo open air roof.
i dont know the rules regardind such a modification over there
but here in the netherlands you see those a lot.
people buy a roof from some scrapyard and fit that to their van/car

i know a guy who put one in his libero
What are the windows that are situated on the roofline on some MPVs called? 16602110

some pictures i googled
What are the windows that are situated on the roofline on some MPVs called? F978d610

What are the windows that are situated on the roofline on some MPVs called? Med10

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesyBISTO Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:52 am

Love the ingenuity, got to think about insulation and space for solar panel though.

CheesyBISTO

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:57 am

how about a pop up roof?
more space and light when youre camping and you get to keep the roof as it is for solar panels.
i see them so now and then on rascals or hijets.. maybe you could get a cheap one from a wrecker.

What are the windows that are situated on the roofline on some MPVs called? Subaru11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:00 am

rascal with popup
What are the windows that are situated on the roofline on some MPVs called? 17156010

What are the windows that are situated on the roofline on some MPVs called? 17190410

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:06 am

there was one for sale a while back.. 300 pounds (or how do you write that?)
it needs some tlc but obviously
What are the windows that are situated on the roofline on some MPVs called? 15400310

What are the windows that are situated on the roofline on some MPVs called? 15420710

What are the windows that are situated on the roofline on some MPVs called? 15420810

Lindy Loo on the rascal page was selling it
https://www.facebook.com/groups/229192977428153/search/?query=pop%20up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:24 am

Usually they are known as Vista or Panama windows. My Own MPV has one each side as it had been a Mobility Vehicle with a two part folding rear ramp with a 12volt Winch to pull the wheelchair up into the back. There were 4 meaty lock-down fittings in the floor to secure the Wheelchair and the Vista windows afforded the occupant views out on both sides.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gra Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:57 pm

That's a nice looking vehicle you have there, Woodie, is it yours?

Gra

Gra
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:01 pm

It looks a bit tattier this winter Gra. Needs a bit of TLC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:51 pm

Have you got any of these windows Woody?
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:09 pm

No, very sorry Logi. My MPV is the only Hi-Jet I have bought that have the Vista Windows. The glass is flat so presumably you could have them custom made. Solar Glass, the double glazing company used to make toughened glass windows to a pattern. They had a plant in Portsmouth where the company my friend Tim owned got all the toughened glass units made.

There must be companies that can cut glass to a pattern still. Doesn't have to be toughened up in the roof I guess.

Back to top Go down

Post by danielfrisbee Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:27 am

do they leak as much as my two mpv sunroofs..? that van looks like it never left the factory..! I would also guess the easiest thing would be to make some. Perspex might even be ok for something like that and you could cut them out yourself perhaps-
danielfrisbee
danielfrisbee
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:56 am

Saw one before, kinda fancied the idea, though the one I saw also had one in the front below the sunroof, looked a bit odd.
( though to be honest I still have a sunroof waiting to be fitted so the chance of me actually doing anything is slightly slimmer than Kate Moss Wink)
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:28 am

WHAT???!!!!! It is almost 5 years ago when I sent you that new Sunroof. I must admit though that I hate fitting them. The thought of cutting the hole in the roof without making a mistake always worried me.

It was even more so at Romahome. At times when the workload there was under pressure I would help out. Cutting the holes for the windows or the gas-bottle locker door was pretty scary in case of the air saw running amok.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down