Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cooling system bleed points

2 posters

Go down

Cooling system bleed points Empty Cooling system bleed points

Post by Martint123 Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:02 pm

Hi can anyone help me there are 2 bleed points 1 on top of the engine and 1 at the side if you no what they look like could some take a picture and post on this site. It's a piaggio porter 2007 1.3 efi I may have found the side bleed point but I need to be sure. Engine running hot when stuck in traffic expansion tank bubbling if I don't sort it I could very well have a nervous breakdown.
Cheers martin.

Martint123

Back to top Go down

Cooling system bleed points Empty Re: Cooling system bleed points

Post by Raggy Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:14 pm

Have you changed the radiator caps yet and made sure it’s got the correct antifreeze in it? Always a good start whilst looking at bleeding air when overheating starts. Check all hoses and hose clamps etc for leaks.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:25 pm

No don't worry Lex. I have just put the phone up to the edge of a mirror and have now got a complete picture. lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Martint123 Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:07 am

Hi new antifreeze serviced last week all hoses and clips secure. 40000 on the clock. So head gasket fine . Mechanic said it's ok because the fan kicks in over heated yesterday had to beg LIFT to work.

Martint123

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:54 pm

Find a better mechanic I say. Having a fan come on only says that the fan sensor has tripped due to the high temp, not a solution to a high temp.
If its bubbling and pushing water into the bottle after you stop etc then air is getting in. Its a sealed system, there are rad caps as safety features and they activate on reaching a certain pressure in the system. That pressure will increase and let water out if:
a) its just plain water so boiling temp isn't as high as it should be so overheating early
b) air is getting into the system (air makes matters worse as its compressible and raises the pressure i.e. to force the rad cap to release the water thus reducing water level and reducing cooling can you see where this vindictive circle is going?
c) head gasket gone or head warped (having only 40K on the clock is no indicator of a correct head seal).
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Martint123 Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:21 pm

I'm going to change all the pipes and clips. On Saturday then try again still don't no were the bleed points are.
I downloaded the workshop manual but it is as useful as the diagram.
Cheers martin

Martint123

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down