Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to bleed the cooling system on a 1.2 Diesel? And now head gasket change!

+5
rich the mechanic
Logi
PFM
8bit-ash
Matt Angell
9 posters

Go down

How to bleed the cooling system on a 1.2 Diesel? And now head gasket change! Empty How to bleed the cooling system on a 1.2 Diesel? And now head gasket change!

Post by Matt Angell Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:37 pm

Hi all,

I've got a 1.2 diesel that has the dreaded overheating problem. I've been looking on the forum for hints about bleeding the system but the diesel doesn't seem to have the bleeding plug above the radiator.
Does anyone else have a diesel that can help me locate the correct point?

Also I seem to have a fair bit of pressure in the cooling system before she warms up, I'm thinking that the head gasket is on its way out, although there is no oil in water of vice versa. Could the pressure be from incorrectly bled system? Would the magic K Seal help save me from stipping head off?
Again any advice would be greatly apprecated!

Cheers

Matt

Last edited by Matt Angell on Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Matt Angell

Back to top Go down

How to bleed the cooling system on a 1.2 Diesel? And now head gasket change! Empty Re: How to bleed the cooling system on a 1.2 Diesel? And now head gasket change!

Post by 8bit-ash Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:53 pm

Mine didn't have water in the coolant or vice visa when the HG failed. Can't help with the bleeding on a diesel. On a petrol the filling point is under the seat. I rigged up a hose and a rubber bung with a funnel on so I could get the coolant filling point above the highest part in the system.
8bit-ash
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

How to bleed the cooling system on a 1.2 Diesel? And now head gasket change! Empty Re: How to bleed the cooling system on a 1.2 Diesel? And now head gasket change!

Post by Matt Angell Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:57 pm

Hi Ash,

Sounds like its going to be head off time then, B****r!
Been filling from under seat and then topping off from radiator. Found a nice bodge by previous owner on filler point under the seat. The spill pipe had broken off and been reattached with araldite! Of course as soon as engine got upto temp/pressure that came off ruddy quick! Fixed that bit at least!

Cheers

Matt

Matt Angell

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:24 am

Instructions say heater on hot, remove bleed bung by radiator, fill at radiator untill overflowing under seat, cap on under seat, continue filling at radiator. Not sure if it makes any real difference, but might prevent an airlock doing it the correct way.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:21 am

It would seem lots of people have these problems, and quite often it isn't the cylinder head, or gasket - unless its been ran dry alot.

The metal pipe with the rad cap on often rots and get small pin holes in it, this is pretty common.

The rad cap itself fails, I think again the cause may be the cap receiver rotting.

Poor bleeding after servicing, I think is another common cause.

Under the grill is another rad cap. Normal cars have an upper/top rad pipe which goes straight from the head and into the radiator. Unfortunately the hijet has the drivers/passenger footwells in the way, so the pipe has to go down then back up to the radiator. This causes air locks obviously.

I'd say like most cars, bleeding is a bit of a game of trying to get all the air out, run it to get it pretty warm, then cool it off a bit and refill, etc etc.

This is a good post, https://hijet.forumotion.com/t156-overheating-hijets use the search function to pull all all posts with overheating in Smile
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:46 am

I found the easiest way ( if a bit messy ) was to fill as described, then have someone at the front with a watering can filling then remove the underseat cap , letting the coolant p!ss out for a minute as they pour it in the top cap. Tighten the underseat cap, and top off the top. The force of the coolant coming out overcomes theairlock and Roberts yer mothers brother Wink
I does waste some coolant but what price a boiled engine?

( also. We need pics of yer van Smile )
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Angell Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:55 am

Morning All!

Thanks for the fast replies, I've tried all of the above so far! The drive looked like a lake by time I had finished yesterday! Laughing
As far as I can tell from the pictures on here and the descriptions the rubber plug for draining the heater isn't fitted on the diesel. From where it looks the bung should be I have a pipe that fits onto the filler neck on top of radiator Shocked When I have been filling to spill, i do get some return flow from this small pipe. Does this mean the heater is flushed??

Just been out to pick up some K Seal, hopefully should fix the pressure in cooling system and let me bleed to system fully, if it doesn't then oh well!

Cheers

Matt

Oh and I'll try and get some pics up soonish!

Matt Angell

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:06 pm

Are you the sort of bloke who could DIY the head gasket? We need to keep these wonderful little machines away from the crusher.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:20 pm

p.s. I've always wondered if you could either get a proper test cap or adapt a radiator cap to connector to a compressor so you could drain all the water out, take the plugs out, then charge the coolant system with air, then listen down the plug holes for the air hissing out of the failure point in the head gasket, or where ever its leaking from.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:54 pm

I made a handy wee tool years ago for a similar idea. I have an old sparkplug with the centre and top removed and a BSP airline fitting brazed into it.
Put a cylinder on compression and hook up an airline.
If it comes out the exhaust its the exhaust valve, carb, inlet valve, rad cap, head gasket, dipstick, its rings.
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Angell Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:18 pm

DIY on motors isn't an issue for me, been in and out of Landy gearboxes, engines etc etc for years now!

Hopefully I will be able to get a copy of the Diesel workshop manual then I will be able to work out locking points for crank and cam shafts.
Put the K Seal in an took her for a run, temp kept steady around center point and pipes felt warm equally with good heat from heater. When got back from run, there is still bubbling in the expansion tank and heater went cold. Going to see how she is when cooled down as the K seal may need another push round system without hot pressure.

If not really is pointing towards head gasket Mad Sad

Some great ideas on compression testing the bores, may have to look at something like that, not just for Hijet but Landy lumps too!

Cheers

Matt

Matt Angell

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:59 pm

The only thing I haven't seen mentioned is to run the motor up without the rad cap on if it pulses out then it's head gasket but if it doesn't then it can shift out an airlock, on the petrol I have an old inner tube valve on a bit of rubber pipe and I can push the valve core down with a screw driver when it's all up to temp and release any air from the top of the matrix.

How to bleed the cooling system on a 1.2 Diesel? And now head gasket change! Rad_210
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Angell Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:57 pm

Pulsing, yep got lots of that!! oh well looks like I shall be getting a head gasket set on order! Mad

Nice setup for bleeding the matrix, where you have the shrader valve on the end of the pipe, on mine that pipe is attached to the neck on radiator. Maybe mine self bleeds?!

Sounds like I will be having some fun shortly then!

Cheers

Matt

Matt Angell

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Angell Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:52 pm

Well I've been sorting out the garage today so I can get the Jet in.

During the next week I'll be stripping her down and find out exactly what her issues are. I'll take some pics as I go along so you can share in my adventure! (or share the pain!)

Whilst I'm there I may as well do cam belt and full filter change, be rude not too. Laughing

Cheers

Matt

Matt Angell

Back to top Go down

How to bleed the cooling system on a 1.2 Diesel? And now head gasket change! Empty Head Gasket Joy!

Post by Matt Angell Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:07 pm

Hi all,
Well last few weeks I have been tinkering on the jet inbetween work etc. Finally got the head off today, my theres a lot of faffing with bits and pieces to get to the head let alone take it off. Also found out that what I thought was the tappit adjusters was actully the injector push rods Embarassed Mad So guess who is going to be trying to get the timing back on the jet?!
Anyway success and a cause has shown itself.

How to bleed the cooling system on a 1.2 Diesel? And now head gasket change! 29022012259

Doesn't look too bad untill you have close look at No4

How to bleed the cooling system on a 1.2 Diesel? And now head gasket change! 29022012264

Well that will explain the pressurization of the cooling system, same to the water guide on the otherside.

How to bleed the cooling system on a 1.2 Diesel? And now head gasket change! 29022012266

Looks like a few more miles and the ring would have let go!

Oh well now that I know the problem time to get the parts in and start the rebuild this weekend. Very Happy

Matt Angell

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:10 pm

Bloody ace work Matty boy!

Now you can see why they don't get oil in the coolant when the head gasket goes. Most modern engines since the late 80's are like this, they tend to go between the water jacket and the cylinders where they fight the most pressure difference. Turbo engines are really bad for it as the cylinder pressures are much higher and the coolant system works even harder under boost conditions.

I'd be tempted to have a good look at the radiator pressure caps because if people have previous been taking them on and off alot they loose their seal and the spring goes knackard if they have been fighting with over pressure. If the coolant isn't kept in the system upto their proper rated pressure then the coolant will boil off and you'll have the same old problems all over again.

Very best of luck the rebuild, and if you can we'd love pictures of the job to help the next guy who rolls in with a derv.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

How to bleed the cooling system on a 1.2 Diesel? And now head gasket change! Empty Don't undo the injector adjustment nuts!!

Post by Matt Angell Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:17 am

Well got the head back on and all the other bits back into place, but spent the last day and a half adjusting the injector timing.

What ever you do, DO NOT undo the nuts that hold the injector pushrods in postion. Found a few hints and tips so far, if anyone else comes across this problem. First off if you have been stupid enough to have undone the nuts like myself, unscrew them all the way, then by hand screw them back in until they just touch the injector. Then put one full turn on and lock the nut. The van should run, but will be like a bag of nails. Then put quarter off a turn on each screw until the van runs sweet.
I'm still fine tuning mine, but there is normally about 2 full threads of screw showing above the nut.
Also to do this you have to have the rocker cover off, this WILL chuck huge amounts of oil everywhere! I have some pics I will upload later that looks like the engine has exploded!! You can beat this by putting the rocker cover back on, but to be honest I got fed up with putting those 11 screws in and out over and over. So a big drip tray underneath helps to limit the damage.
Also the batt goes flat quick with multiple starts, so make sure you have a batt charger ready!

So will update later, after another afternoon tweaking.

Cheers

Matt

Matt Angell

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:51 am

Well done, it'll be worth all the hassle, honest..................... Wink
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Angell Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:09 pm

Are we sitting comfortably then I shall begin my story of woe and stupidity!

The van is now running! Took a while to get there as I shall now recount.
The issues I had with getting the timing sorted was due to the fact that I hadn't installed the fuel pump correctly. How would this effect the timing you ask? Well the fuel filter on the diesel is massive, holds about a litre of fuel. So whilst I was setting the engine up, quick run, adjust, quick run adjust etc I was slowly draining the fuel from the filter. As you can imagine as the fuel started to run low the engine drew though a bit of air with every suck, and then a bit more, well you get the picture. This ment that as I was adjusting the engine ran rougher and rougher. I couldn't work out why I couldn't get the timing right.
When I finally relised I was getting no fuel at all I investigated the fuel pump. Bugger! i had managed to shear the mechanical arm from the bottom of it. Now 1.2 diesel parts are bloody hard to get hold of at the best of times, and as I was running at a deadline I had to think outside the box.
Off to my local car spare place to pick up a 12v inline fuel pump. One renualt pump and much lighter wallet later I managed to bodge, sorry expertly install, the fuel pump in place. I used a pickup from the fuel shutoff valve to power pump, so when valve is open fuel will be delivered.
This all worked beautifully for about 5 mins before the 15 yearold fuel hoses decided they didn't like 4.5 Bar of pressure! There was pin hole leaks appearing everywhere! So new hose sourced and juberlee clips very tightly fasted and try again.

Well so far I've put about 200 miles on her and I only have a small drip of diesel every now and then. Also I've more than doubled the fuel economy now I'm running on 4 pots. It's been a long and emotional trip, but very happy to be blasting around the roads in the old girl. Can even get up to 70mph now!

Cheers for the help and support guys and girls, wouldn't have got this far without it!

Matt

Matt Angell

Back to top Go down

Post by ToaseMan Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:06 pm

Hello. just read though all this and as a diesel owner with a believed blown head gasket (Though i might try to coolant check method this weekend to be sure (Also its a good reason to fire the van up. But could it cause bad damage if the head is gone?) i have some quick questions
First, what would you recommend is the best option for some who's only played with a 1971 two-stoke (Maybe soon a qualocast 4 stroke lawn mower). A. attempt to get the engine out and do it myself? (If so, any specialized tools needed? And how hard is it to drop the engine out?)
Or option B. Just take it too a mechanic to do?
and secondly 70! i was recommended once i get her going to only really run it 55 been a diesel
ToaseMan
ToaseMan
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:49 pm

Matt Angell wrote:What ever you do, DO NOT undo the nuts that hold the injector pushrods in postion. Found a few hints and tips so far, if anyone else comes across this problem. First off if you  have been stupid enough to have undone the nuts like myself, unscrew them all the way, then by hand screw them back in until they just touch the injector.

Have you managed to achieve a balanced diesel delivery quantity on all 4 cylinders?

How did you do it?
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by dennispenis Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:51 pm

you forgot to post some pics Neutral
oh well i will take a few then when i get stuck in ...
.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-DAIHATSU-HIJET-1996-1999-1-2D-PICKUP-VAN-ULTRA-PARTS-HEAD-GASKET-/121378444006?fits=Car+Make%3ADaihatsu%7CModel%3AHijet&hash=item1c42b812e6:g:ay8AAOSwirZTtnnD
£31 not too bad, head gasket only though "oe quality guaranteed init boss"
just remember dont undo the nuts that hold the injector  pushrods in
righto ?
stretch bolts too eh? affraid
dennispenis
dennispenis
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by dennispenis Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:16 pm

twop twip...the crank pulley has a left hand thread lol
any ways rocker cover off reveling some really weird shit man
next lock the injector pumps up with a nail and take em off How to bleed the cooling system on a 1.2 Diesel? And now head gasket change! IMG_20160630_185221_zpscea7wirb
dennispenis
dennispenis
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:09 pm

Keep posting the pics as you go along, will help ithers in similar situations.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by dennispenis Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:22 pm

head comes off purdy easily really How to bleed the cooling system on a 1.2 Diesel? And now head gasket change! IMG_20160701_190147_zpsvdpaaysf found a use for those crappy screwdrivers her bloody mother got me for Christmas. they have become hardened steel pins to lock the pumps up
gasquet is about the same as the other dudes
furkrered How to bleed the cooling system on a 1.2 Diesel? And now head gasket change! IMG_20160701_190918_zpsmcti2e08
dennispenis
dennispenis
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by dennispenis Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:35 pm

How to bleed the cooling system on a 1.2 Diesel? And now head gasket change! IMG_20160701_190918_zpsmcti2e08
dennispenis
dennispenis
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by dennispenis Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:35 pm

How to bleed the cooling system on a 1.2 Diesel? And now head gasket change! IMG_20160701_193347_zpsafyb1y4q
dennispenis
dennispenis
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:09 pm

I've come to the conclusion the best way to bleed the coolant system on a Hijet, this is a guaranteed solution to resolve all overheating hijet, petrols and diesels:-

Take off both radiator caps

Take cap off header tank

Drive them down a hill

Into a lake

Leave them running

Leave them there. Wink
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down