Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Replacement door locks?

4 posters

Go down

Replacement door locks? Empty Replacement door locks?

Post by Fuzzydoguk Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:44 am

Hi all
Just discovered after finally getting hand brake fixed and back on the road, that the passenger side lock is faulty. It looks like a key has broken off in the barrel and I can open the lock with the tip of any key - not ideal!

Before I buy the wrong thing or spend too much has anyone got any tips or links to suitable, easy to replace door locks?

Many thanks

James

Oh and I'm blogging my experience converting my hijet (George) to a micro camper will post link when I have a bit more on there

Fuzzydoguk

Back to top Go down

Replacement door locks? Empty Re: Replacement door locks?

Post by rich the mechanic Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:20 pm

Hi try taking the barrel out and see if there is a hole in the back if not then try drilling one you maybe able to push the broken bit out.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:07 pm

i had the exact same thing with the drivers door barrel & i'd make out i was using the key to unlock it!! didnt want anyone to know all you need is a screwdriver!
you can remove the barrel (inside door panel off) and with thin long nose pliers get the broken bit out.. you can also use a thin wire/paper clip to push the end of the key through to expose it to pliers...
only one downfall after i fitted the barrel back in to door...
i can use key to unlock it, but the key does not lock it.. have to push button down and hold door handle up when shutting it...
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:31 pm

leopard_pagan wrote:have to push button down and hold door handle up when shutting it...

I always do that - saves on lock and key wear. Can lead to lock-outs though - I now keep spare keys for my vans on my other key-ring (always in my pocket) as it's sometimes hard to find XXXXXXXXXXX to aid getting in.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:35 pm

spare keys in my wallet, on my desk at home and set in the vans paperwork!
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:00 pm

I always have a back up plan as I have left keys in the ignition so many times its unreal that the first mod to our van was a back up way in and was so bad in the car with me leaving the lights on as well the car system has a seperate battery back up as well.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Fuzzydoguk Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:56 am

Ok so my grand plan yesterday was to fix the slide doors (done) start carpeting Walls (done) and take the door lock out to get it fixed -not done

How do I get it out anyone help? I took the door card off (though struggled there as I think the winder is superglued in the front) but could just see metal bits n bobs what am I aiming for?

Thanks

James

Fuzzydoguk

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:25 pm

I think its held in with the fairly standard fashion of a spring U clip so feel around and you should find a right angled tab which you pull away from the lock then you maybe able to get a bit more room to remove the linkage clip which clips round the wire linkage and then the wire pulls out if the barrel tab.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down