Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1.3EFI Starting Problem

2 posters

Go down

1.3EFI Starting Problem Empty 1.3EFI Starting Problem

Post by mdomaille Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:26 pm

Hi Folks, gota strange problem with a 1.3EFI Hijet (One of the earlier ones I think), and would appreciate any assistance given the following:

If the vehicle is left overnight, it will start then immediately stop in the morning - after this it won't start again until it is left for quite a while.

It has a spark. It also has fuel being delivered to the rail on ignition switch and also when cranking.

All the fuses appear in order and the fuel pump and main relays have been swapped over with no difference.

I have conducted as many ECU tests as I can - power, earths to the ECU and a few of the sensors - all of which pass the tests according to the workshop manual. The only one I don't get the correct readings for is the injector drive which should each be approx battery voltage with the ignition on. I only get 0.5v from each under those conditions.

This does seem to fit that although I have a spark and fuel getting to the rail, the plugs do not particularly smell of fuel after several cranking attempts.

I don't know where this vehicle has originated from but there are flying leads coming from the relay plate next to the wiper relay. These flying leads come out of the plate and go into another relay bolted onto the side of the fuse box and has a small lamp attached. I'm thinking perhaps this is a crude old immobiliser system that has stopped working as the lamp would have fitted in a nearby hole in the dash. Any idea what the relay to the right of the wiper relay is? I think it is either a 3 or 4 pin fella.

Any ideas what I am missing otherwise?

mdomaille

Back to top Go down

1.3EFI Starting Problem Empty Re: 1.3EFI Starting Problem

Post by rich the mechanic Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:09 pm

Hi you say that it will start after a long stop/over night does the injecter test come up good at this point or is it always 0.5v?
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by mdomaille Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:40 pm

Thanks for the reply.

As a follow up I have finally got to the bottom of the problem!

Under the passenger seat is the wiring loom that supplies the injectors etc. This loom goes forward to the bulkhead and up into the floor and ends up as two connectors - the smaller ECU connector and a small multi-pin.

There was no continuity from the yellow and black wire in the multi-pin connector and any of the yellow and black feed wires on each of the injector connectors.

Upon removing this section of loom and opening it up (and roughly in line with where the coolant expansion bottle is), I found that the yellow and black wire from the multi-pin splits with a crimp type connector inside the loom which goes on to supply each of the injector connectors. This crimp connector had corroded and broken off inside.

Wire cutters and soldering iron in hand, the connection was repaired and the van runs once more!

I reckon I have cleaned up so many other connections and earths along the way, this van isn't due an electical breakdown for a while! Laughing

mdomaille

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down