Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Starting on LPG

4 posters

Go down

Starting on LPG  Empty Starting on LPG

Post by elfin girl Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:37 pm

When I got my van I was told to start up on petrol and switch it over to LPG once it had warmed up, I kept forgetting to switch it back off before stopping and have found that if it's not too cold out it starts fine on LPG .... But... Will this cause me problems? Is there a good reason why I should start up on petrol?
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Starting on LPG  Empty Re: Starting on LPG

Post by bushwhacker Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:59 pm

Starting on LPG is supposed to cause engine damage in cold weather which I take to mean below freezing. I believe it is because the fuel doesn't vapourise properly until the engine has warmed sufficiently.

However, there should normally be a setting to allow it to start on petrol and then automatically switch over to LPG at an appropriate time. Time to investigate the handbook / guarantee documentation?
bushwhacker
bushwhacker
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:12 pm

LPG is measured as a gas (like how you have jets in a carb, we do it to the lpg gas). Gases change size alot through temperature. So we try to keep the vaporizer at a static temperature to keep the gas measurement accurate. Starting the van cold on lpg means the gas will be not be injected at the correct ratio.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:28 pm

Hmm, ok, well I'll Try to remember to switch it over before I start up,at least it doesn't seem like a drastic problem if I forget! not on gas at the mo cos the tank looked a bit rusty and thought I'd give it a clean and paint before I fill it up again
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by El_Ventu Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:09 pm

If you have a injected system, LPG ECU corrects injection timing to reach the right air-fuel ratio.

In lambda controlled aspirated systems same thing happen.

In old style aspirated system, your A/F ratio can become too lean.

Maybe it can give you some driving problems, but engine don't have damage (if engine is cold, kat is cold, and it can't ignite unburned LPG).

Theoretically is better to heat engine on petrol for a lot of reasons, but I see with my eyes cars that runs everytime on LPG, even during cold starting at -10°C, without problems for hundred thousands kilometers...
Surely you must allow engine to heat a bit at idle before driving if temperature is very cold.

El_Ventu
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down