Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stalling out of gear when Cold/start of journey at low revs

2 posters

Go down

Stalling out of gear when Cold/start of journey at low revs Empty Stalling out of gear when Cold/start of journey at low revs

Post by LloydAJN Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:55 pm

Hijet - 2003 1.3, LPG/Petrol, 83,000 miles.

The engine cuts out/stalls and engine lights come on more so at the start of journeys when its cold and the revs are low.

Doesn't do it straight away, revs have to get really low, will idle fine, the revs get super low and it might stutter a little but doesn't cut out.

I have just (hopefully) finished fixing the overheating problem and while looking up potential problems i was told the thermostat on some cars can affect the fuel injection, possibilty?

I am wondering if anyone else has found this problem? is it common?

I have mentioned it to mechanics when giving it on for an MOT and such but they haven't initially come up with a solution but haven't really looked as far as i know.

Any help or similar experiences would be great to hear.

Thanks,
Lloyd
LloydAJN
LloydAJN
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Stalling out of gear when Cold/start of journey at low revs Empty Re: Stalling out of gear when Cold/start of journey at low revs

Post by wrightgeordie Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:51 am

I've had the same problem. You need a diagnostic tester (I use a cheap £20 tester that I got on ebay and its just fine for my van).  The reason your engine management light is on will be because of a faulty coolant temperature sensor.  The sensor provides two separate signals - one to the temperature gauge in the dash and another to the ECU computer to let it know what temperature the engine is at.  The ECU over fuels a cold engine to keep it running smoothly whilst warming up, and its this function of the sensor that's at fault.  Unfortunately a replacement sensor is like hens teeth to find as they aren't made any longer.  Your sensor has a grey triangular shape plug with three pins, don't be tempted by online suppliers on ebay because correct replacement sensors for an EFI engine just don't exist.  I found one eventully through a breakers yard so Id advise you to start ringing round now - good luck.
wrightgeordie
wrightgeordie
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Stalling out of gear when Cold/start of journey at low revs Empty Re: Stalling out of gear when Cold/start of journey at low revs

Post by LloydAJN Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:57 am

Oh right, explains it, I knew it would be some sort of problem like that, not enough fuel being allowed I'm or something. Do I still need a diagnostic tester of you know that this Is the problem? I'll take a picture of what I think is my sensor now. To make sure
LloydAJN
LloydAJN
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by LloydAJN Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:16 am

Stalling out of gear when Cold/start of journey at low revs 14800010
LloydAJN
LloydAJN
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by LloydAJN Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:19 am

wrightgeordie wrote:The reason your engine management light is on will be because of a faulty coolant temperature sensor.
Thought i should add i do not get any engine warning lights at any normal point in driving, its just the standard all lights come on when it stalls, like it does when the key it turned. I did used to get the engine managemnet light come on though, but only when i went over
bumps, assumed it was a lose connection and now it doesn't do it anymore.
Thanks!
Lloyd
LloydAJN
LloydAJN
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by wrightgeordie Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:30 pm

That's not the temperature sensor, its located on the rear of the cylinder head.

The engine management light is orange and should come on with the other lights when you turn on the ignition and go out as soon as the engine starts. Is this the case with your van?
wrightgeordie
wrightgeordie
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by LloydAJN Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:09 pm

Ahhh, okay, I'll have a look now.
Yes, it does exactly that, like it should do normally I guess.
Cheers, I'm going to test it as there is another thread about testing the coolant sensor and fuel sensor so I'll try that first, or is it obviously this problem and I'll be wasting time?
Thanks writegeordie!
LloydAJN
LloydAJN
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by LloydAJN Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:50 pm

Okay, had a look, got three suspects, would you mind pointing me in the right direction?
Stalling out of gear when Cold/start of journey at low revs Dsc_0211
Stalling out of gear when Cold/start of journey at low revs Dsc_0212
Stalling out of gear when Cold/start of journey at low revs Dsc_0213

here is a link to the toher thread if you're interested or if someone else reading wnats to see it - https://hijet.forumotion.com/t1794-test-your-suspected-faulty-sensors
LloydAJN
LloydAJN
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down