Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

window stuck open!

2 posters

Go down

window stuck open! Empty window stuck open!

Post by andy pyke Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:32 pm

For some reason I'd thought it would be a good idea to try the sliding door window. Opened up nicely buy will it close? Not likely!

I'm looking at the mechanism but can't see how you can remove it from between the inner and outer door panels. Any clues? I'd be happy to force it shut but can't lift it. At this rate I'm going to have to put a plastic cover over the gap.

The bolts not yet removed seem to hold the central channel in place. Do I need to remove them as well? Still can't see how it will come out.

The side channels aren't blocked. It's the winding mechanism that's knackered.

So, any suggestions on a quick fix for tonight and then a proper fix?

Much appreciated folks, thankyou.....

window stuck open! PJN99mGyG5H

andy pyke
Centurion

Back to top Go down

window stuck open! Empty Re: window stuck open!

Post by Guest Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:23 pm

With the inner door panel off, you need to undo the two 10 mm set bolts on the bottom of the window. You ideally need a 1/4" drive socket set to access the bolts for the winder to glass set bolts. Once they are out slide the window back up and wedge the window up with a length of wood cut to size.

That will sort you for tonight. I wouldn't bother taking the winder mechanism out as there is nothing you can do to repair it. In all the 12 years I was breaking Hi-Jets I had just 3 working Mechanisms. Just leave it wedged up.

They are like the old Ford Cortina, Granada winder mechanisms. A spiral wound length of wire with stringy bristle type material in the centre of the spiral which is a very good attraction for water which subsequently rusts the spiral spring to bits. Blinking rubbish, inbuilt obscelecance.

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:24 pm

Suggestion.... sash windows ??
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by andy pyke Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:03 am

Woodie wrote:With the inner door panel off,  you need to undo the two 10 mm set bolts  on the bottom of the window. You ideally need a 1/4" drive socket set to access the  bolts for the winder to glass set bolts.  Once they are out slide the window back up and wedge the window up with a length of wood cut to size.

That will sort you for tonight.   I wouldn't bother taking the winder mechanism out as there is nothing you can do to repair it. In all the 12 years I was breaking Hi-Jets I had just 3 working Mechanisms. Just leave it wedged up.

They are like the old Ford Cortina,  Granada winder mechanisms. A spiral wound length of wire with  stringy bristle type material in the centre of the spiral which is a very good attraction  for water which subsequently rusts the spiral spring to bits.  Blinking rubbish, inbuilt obscelecance.

Thanks Woody you're a star!

andy pyke
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by andy pyke Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:16 pm

HighlyJetted wrote:Suggestion.... sash windows ??

I was thinking bi-fold patio doors might look good....

Bizarrely, all that WD40 I sprayed on the mechanism yester seems to have worked and I just got the window to go up!

andy pyke
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down