Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SORN information

4 posters

Go down

SORN information Empty SORN information

Post by bushwhacker Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:32 pm

I'm a bit puzzled by this SORN business.

If a vehicle has been on SORN for long enough not to have an MOT is it permissible to drive it to the MOT centre  or is that now illegal? What I came across is that a tax form should be filled in to use the vehicle on the road (ie get it off SORN) but you cannot get tax until you have an MOT. But before they had SORN all that had to be done was get the MOT (legal to drive there) then get the tax.

So, what is the position now? Can you drive the vehicle to MOT then get it off SORN or are you stuffed?
bushwhacker
bushwhacker
Centurion

Back to top Go down

SORN information Empty Re: SORN information

Post by Guest Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:36 pm

So long as you have the vehicle insured for 3rd party risks you can drive it by the most direct route - - provided that you have BOOKED THE MOT APPOINTMENT WITH THE GARAGE. It must be booked with the Garage in order to cover your back.

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:03 pm

It needs to be booked by the reg number, just took my sorned Mercedes today actually.

Just sorned one of my bikes too, a wee note, now, when sorning be aware it takes immediate effect, ie, if you sorn on the 26th, so you don't forget on the 30th, you're buggered as it starts from the day you do it online.
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:43 pm

Its a funny system we've got nowadays.

Road tax is issued in 12 monthly blocks, but you can sort it from any day - but you only get the complete months back. Not that we have coloured monthly tax disks any more.

Can't transfer road tax, thus seller loses the remaining days of the month and the buyer has to pay for the whole month.

Computerised system, yet we can't issue tax by the day.

I call bullshit money spinner.

And don't get me started on the MID database. That's a load of bollocks right there.

I'm becoming a right old moaning middle aged git.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by bushwhacker Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:27 pm

Thanks for your help.

Sounds as though it is about the same as before SORN then although I didn't use to book it, just took it to a no appointment while you wait MOT station.

Thanks again.
bushwhacker
bushwhacker
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:21 pm

The rules have always said that if the DOT/MOT test has expired you're only covered taking it to the nearest station for a pre-booked test, so no change really. BTW it does need to be insured as well.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down