Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Daihatsu Hijet buyers guide - a little information for getting a good one

+19
g149
bob.prior
Violet
Savo1
carljames
Ben Lee
Raggy
Ednorris1
PeteW
Ryan 95
Logi
clwydian
waz
Brungle
happy camper
PFM
leopard_pagan
HighlyJetted
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Daihatsu Hijet buyers guide - a little information for getting a good one Empty Daihatsu Hijet buyers guide - a little information for getting a good one

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:47 pm

So you want to buy a Hijet?

Well read this, it's inside knowledge, people buy some right lemons - and they live to regret it with their wallet and satisfaction.

This has taken me a damn side longer to write than it will take you to read 3 times.

Do yourself a favour and read it properly. I'm about to save you an £800 repair bill for a head gasket job or a £400 welding bill - or even both.

Realistically you won't find a perfect mint van, they are getting on a bit now, and they have normally been used to work and as such pick up dents and faults. Read this carefully if you are looking at buying a hijet, it could save you a lot of heart ache and gives you the wisdom that has been acquired though the experiences of Hijet ownership. A wise buyer will be less likely a victim of a poor purchase.

Some faults are easy and cheap to fix. Stuff like window winders, door handles, sliding doors sticking, locks not working, touching up some minor marks on the body work. These are nice little fun things to mess with on a sunny afternoon or in your garage.

Coolant system - this is a biggie!! 95% of new Hijet owners get stung with overheating Hijets

This is a very important subject when it comes to hijets, the biggest cause of unhappy owner syndrome is overheating vans that suck up cash.
[*]Fan over ride switch on the dashboard - this is a van with problems. They won't admit it, but it's not in their interests.
[*]Make sure the van is cold when you view it so you can remove the metal pressure cap under the passenger seat - the system should be 100% full of coolant, any air pocket under this cap means trouble. Make sure the cap is in pretty good condition.
[*]Make sure the coolant is a nice almost transparent pink/red colour! If its brown, or just water, or its got stuff like copper flakes or scum in it then this van has problems. Look in the header tank and note the water level, it should be between the max and minimum line on the side of the bottle. Remember where the level is for after your test drive.
[*]Start the van, maybe take it for a little drive just up and down the street (check the brakes and gears etc while your at it) then leave it running while you watch the temperature gauge - it will take a while to warm up to where it naturally sits at the half way mark.
[*]After it sits there the gauge will creep up to about 3/4 across the gauge, and then the electric fan will kick in for about 15 seconds approx. It should do this forever. Anyone who wants you to turn it off is selling a lemon.
[*]Now have another look at the header tank, the coolant level will have risen a little bit, maybe 3/4 of an inch. If the tank is now really really full then its got problems.
[*]Have a look at the radiator behind the grill, make sure it looks pretty decent and not mashed up especially at the bottom.
[*]Check the underside of the seat/engine covers for big brown stains near the water filler cap and the pipes on the other side - brown water stains say its been losing water.
[*]Now the super important bit...... On the test drive batter it, I mean rag the pants off it, up hill if possible - scare the pants out of the seller - then park it up and keep it running. Watch it boil up and spew its coolant into the overflow tank - then walk away with your cash still in your pocket.

Bodywork/Chassis - Typicall rotten Hijet syndrome

Hijets rot - like most cars, but welding is a labour intensive repair, and as the hijets bodywork is so thin it isn't fun. So check:-
[*]The front arches rust right down the centre where there is a join in the metal, and this follows right under the footwells.
[*]If you look below the fuel cap on the inside of the van from underneath, there is a bit between the inner arch and a bulkhead, they rot here. This is an MOT failure due to being within 30cm seat belt mounting. They tend to rot on the passenger side in this place alot more than the driver side.
[*]Rear arches rot, especially in the front bottom corners, the sliding door end. Again its an MOT failure. Dig hard and deep down there, it will be full of mud/dirt - pull out the dirt then have a good stab at the metal with a key or something hard.
[*]Upper front suspension mounts under the seats/engine covers - the rot here and is an MOT failure.
[*]Along the sills under the sliding doors.
[*]Front wishbones rust in a few places and will fail the MOT if excessive.
[*]Look behind the back bumper for bends in the cross member - this means its been rammed by a car or something.
[*]Sunroofs leak - its standard - you can fix the seals.
[*]Keep in mind you can swap a door, tailgate, front corner wings, seats, etc with just a few bolts, other parts of the can't be swapped. You may find a replacement non-dented door in a standard colour - but you won't be able to buy one if its had a shoddy custom respray that is hiding all the rust that will reappear in 6 months.

Electrics
[*]Hijets have an orange engine warning light that lights up when you turn on the ignition, if it is missing this may be an intentional ploy to hide a fault by removing the bulb or disconnecting the light.
[*]Rear wipers often stop working.
[*]Check stuff like all the lights work, the windscreen wipers and washers work - the washers are prone to failing.
[*]Reversing light and fog light are prone to being faulty, usually connections in the back of the light
[*]Check the heaters work.
[*]They are very simple and sparse so pretty easy to check everything works.
[*]Fuel gauges often fail, and its normal for them to wobble about alot between under 1/2 full and almost empty.
[*]The speedo needle wobbles a bit, quite normal - if you lube up the cable they work better.
[*]Temp gauge - if it doesn't work then I'd be worried and would closely inspect the coolant system if the van is otherwise faultless.

Running gear
[*]Hijets have a little bit of diff wine when you lift your foot off the accelerator pedal, it's quite normal.
[*]They are prone to prop shaft failure, get underneath and shake it about to see if there is excess play.
[*]Shake all the wheels about hard to check for any play in wheel bearings.
[*]Drive the van, make sure the brakes stop it in a straight line without pulling to either side.
[*]It is common for the rear LSPV brake valve above the axle to stop working - if you push the arm against the valve and press the brake pedal, a working one will push the arm back a little bit. If the valve doesn't work the van will most likely fail the MOT on a lack of rear brake efficiency
[*]Check all the tyres, the fronts wear on the inside edge first.
[*]Back tyres - if the drivers side rear tyre is very warn someone has been hammering it round roundabouts and spinning the inside tyre.
[*]Steering - often there is some play in the steering wheel - and the steering will be heavy if the front tyres are old.
[*]Alloy wheels - this is a dodgy subject, most vans have PCD108 wheels forced onto them, the hijet is PCD110 - and most people are too stupid to know the difference and will swear they fit. This will cause wobbling steering and vibration at speed, bends the wheel studs and is dangerous. If it has alloy wheels, I would recommend taking a wheel off to inspect the workmanship. Poorly fitted wheels could be the cause of a fatal incident.
[*]Check the leaf springs for snaps and cracks. Over loaded vans break leaf springs.
[*]The fuel tanks rot pretty bad being behind the front drivers side wheel. Have a good look.
[*]Exhausts rot and break just after the Cat converter before the silencer - and exhaust are quite hard to find.

Engine and gearbox
[*]On the whole, they have a hardy engine and gearbox,
[*]Dip the oil and see how grim it is, use a white tissue to wipe the dipstick and check the oil condition. It should not be black like tar, dark brown is as bad as it
[*]should ever get. If its below the minimum line obviously the seller is a bad keeper!
[*]Check for oil leaks from the bottom of the rocker cover from underneath the van, near the oil filter housing, and round the sump.
[*]Check for blue smoke when starting the van, and when you rev it. This is a worn engine.
[*]Although they sound a little bit tappety/ticky, they should not be really noisy
[*]You do get a bit of whine from the alternator/belts on startup, its sort of normal
[*]Make sure all the gears work, they cables go a bit crap on heavily used vans.
[*]Biggest concern is the coolant system which needs fully inspecting in another section.

Interior/Exterior
[*]Sliding door handles break inside and out - this is caused by...
[*]Sliding door runners should slide nicely, if they are stiff the bearings have failed, this makes people rip the handles off.
[*]The external mirrors go sloppy so they lose their adjustment.
[*]The carpet pretty much always wears out where the heel of your right foot goes. Very common even on low milage vans.
[*]Rear door rattles due to the locking mechanism needs servicing - some take a few slams to close, this bends the door in the end. Easy fix. Very common.
[*]Drivers seat shows wear quicker than the others, ends up a bit saggy where your bum goes.
[*]Window winders are prone to breaking, wind the drivers side up and down a few times to make sure it works.
[*]Test all the locks, they are very common to stop working, normally WD40 will fix it.
[*]Drivers door handle brakes because the door hinges wear out, open the door and lift it up and down to check for hinge wear.

Last edited by HighlyJetted on Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Beardyfacecamper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Daihatsu Hijet buyers guide - a little information for getting a good one Empty Re: Daihatsu Hijet buyers guide - a little information for getting a good one

Post by leopard_pagan Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:14 am

Exhausts: I have found 1ltr & 1.3 cats & back boxes easy enough... Not seen the front headers (what do car people call this bit?) though.
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Daihatsu Hijet buyers guide - a little information for getting a good one Empty Re: Daihatsu Hijet buyers guide - a little information for getting a good one

Post by PFM Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:42 pm

The part that connects to the exhaust manifold is usually called the 'down pipe' or 'front pipe' on cars. Then you might have a front box, or midsection, or tailpipe, or rear box depending on the system. Seem to recall the whole lot being in one piece on old Mini's - but back then they made so many exhausts for them they were dirt cheap.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by happy camper Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:42 pm

Thank y0u, this is all very, very helpfull. cheers

happy camper

Back to top Go down

Post by Brungle Fri May 03, 2013 9:00 am

wow HighlyJetted brilliant guide, thanks for taking the time to post this! much appreciated.

Brungle
Chatterbox

http://sweatvan.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 04, 2013 6:12 am

Strewth Matt. That is some guide. Thank you. How the heck do you find time to put all your helpful comments on the site AND FIND THE TIME TO EARN A LIVING TOO ??

It's beyond my comprehension ( or ability ) I must say. Question

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sat May 04, 2013 8:51 am

I don't go out drinking, nor do I watch any TV! And I certain don't go to the bookies Mad

Making a living, that's about how much you spend. We have nothing on credit (except the mortgage), our mortgage is pretty low, we run very cheap cars (why I have a hijet), we shop carefully for everything from food to insurance. I never pay anyone to fix my car, or house. Tend to get paid to fix someone elses car or house!

I meet alot of people who hate their 40 hours of work per week, yet they waste so much money. If having Sky HD TV, an iPhone and a lease car makes some one happy then go for it, I just see it as £35 + £35 + £200 every month... that's a whole weeks pay packet, then buying clothes, going out drinking. Spending £4 every day at costa coffee, shopping at Tesco or Sainsburys,
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by waz Sat May 04, 2013 3:43 pm

HighlyJetted wrote:I don't go out drinking, nor do I watch any TV! And I certain don't go to the bookies Mad

Making a living, that's about how much you spend. We have nothing on credit (except the mortgage), our mortgage is pretty low, we run very cheap cars (why I have a hijet), we shop carefully for everything from food to insurance. I never pay anyone to fix my car, or house. Tend to get paid to fix someone elses car or house!

I meet alot of people who hate their 40 hours of work per week, yet they waste so much money. If having Sky HD TV, an iPhone and a lease car makes some one happy then go for it, I just see it as £35 + £35 + £200 every month... that's a whole weeks pay packet, then buying clothes, going out drinking. Spending £4 every day at costa coffee, shopping at Tesco or Sainsburys,

How right you are HJ, I 'retired' 4 year ago and watched my mate doing 40 + hours a week just to stay afloat with sky tv, ipad, latest mobile phone, new car every 2 years ect. I am better of than all of them and can do what I want to do and when I want to do it.
waz
waz
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 04, 2013 10:04 pm

Like you I dont have anything on the knock. Dont have Sky. Had never had a credit card till last year when my " Barclays Personal Business Advisor " suggested I have a Visa card as it covers tools I buy on line being lost or whatever. Every month the Card bill is paid without fail.

Anything else if I cant afford it -- I dont buy it. Like you I have a diamond of a wife who is so frugal its unreal.
I work damn hard every day and as long as I can pay the bills every month then I am very happy.

I pick and choose what jobs I want to do and If it means higher blood pressure, I dont do it.

The thought of a regular 9 to 5 is horrendous. Just love what I do and the freedom to pick and choose is priceless. I feel I am a very fortunate person
having reasonable health and a job I love and two great kids and and 5 grandchildren. Just wonderful.

Back to top Go down

Post by clwydian Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:29 pm

Hi.  Im thinking hard about a micro camper - the last vehicle I bought was a 21y old motorcycle off ebay and that has cost a fortune to keep running (so far) but I lack basic skills such as which way you turn a hammer etc...

Here's the thing - Im going to look at a 2004 hijet petrol/gas camper on saturday - and I have no idea what I'm doing.  This section looks interesting although probably a bit more complex than I will manage on the day.  Im not insured to drive the beast so thats out but should manage being a passenger.

Its done 70k miles which is highish for a camper (but perhaps not for a van or car) but it seems key is whether its rusting.   There is a spot of rear damage on it apparently base of door but the photo doesnt show much. Image is at tiny url dot com /nuhd47u -- but I cant paste this in my message in case its spam (which it isnt)

My guess is minor damage suggests no 'covering up?'..maybe..?  Smile

Anything to worry about the 'gas' bit?

Hey - one of you guys might own it Smile

Wish me luck...

Carl

clwydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:56 am

why dont you take somebody along who does have some car skills ?  

Back to top Go down

Post by clwydian Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:47 pm

Smile well anyway the radiator level was well down and the header over full. The brake pipes were corroding. The front seat wasn't bolted down. And the owner who loved hijets and did them up for a hobby didn't know where the dipstick was.....

But my significant other can reach the pedals and I'm definately in the market now Smile

clwydian

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:03 pm

Tee Hee Hee! Sound pretty typical seller Smile

Glad you knew what to look for, good luck - you will find a pretty good one.

And its worth buying the right one as buying one of the rough ones will tarnish your relationship.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:24 pm

And drain your pocket significantly especially if you take it to a garage that aren't conversant with Hi-Jets and their foibles and quirks.
ALWAYS ASK ON THE FORUM FIRST. Laughing  Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:14 am

Also, was it a camper or a minibus + plywood + cushions.....
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan 95 Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:43 pm

what a brilliant write up, thank you Smile
Ryan 95
Ryan 95
Centurion

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqJ00eQ5siZ6dizeigXo8_Q

Back to top Go down

Daihatsu Hijet buyers guide - a little information for getting a good one Empty a little information

Post by PeteW Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:21 pm

Thanks for this information wish I had seem this before.

PeteW

Back to top Go down

Daihatsu Hijet buyers guide - a little information for getting a good one Empty Copper Flakes

Post by Ednorris1 Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:41 pm

Noticed this on my Jet. What would the problem be and is it fixable?

"or its got stuff like copper flakes or scum in it then this van has problems."

Thanks

Ed

Ednorris1

Back to top Go down

Post by 602 Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:42 am

Hi,

I have just read this guide. Wow, and thanks. I don't think I want a Hijet anymore (just kidding)

My SWMBO is also a whizz with money (At one time she had a mandate to spend £25,000,000 of "your" money, said it ruined her house-keeping skills. On one occasion she was unwell, had to cancel a meeting with consultants. Within the hour, a huge bunch of flowers was delivered. Panic! " I can't accept these!". She declared them to HR, and was told they were "acceptable")

We have one debt, her car, but only because two hours haggling resulted in a 0% HP offer over three years. Due to three family crisises (sp?) in one month, we had to move from South Wales to the East Midlands. Try getting a mortgage when you are in your mid-70s. It can be done. We moved in July 2014 ... paid off the mortgage earlier this year. But that took us below her comfort zone, so I have to walk on financial eggshells.

Last evening, she said she wanted to replace our two Stressless (???) armchairs with a second sofa. This seems to be the right time to broach the subject of me wanting a shopping trolley (Hijet). Voices were raised, not a lot, but enough to upset the dog. She said we don't need three cars. I pointed out that I have to be clean to be allowed in her car ... Hyundai i10, new shape, second service imminent, 7500miles on clock, £30 VED, immaculate, one non-smoking, retired civil servant, lady owner ... who regularly red-lines it, 7000rpm (shhh!). She said it is virtually worthless, and yes, I can put a bag of cement in the back ... not what I've heard. I pointed out that I cannot park my Land Rover in/near the doctor's car park, and only last week I had an appointment when she, and her car, had to be elsewhere. Voices lowered, dog placated, nothing agreed. Mmmm! Maybe, just maybe. Bide my time, do research. What's her Hyundai worth? Open new discussion about Hijet overheads.

Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:00 am

Well done! You broached the subject and came away unscathed and without a definite 'no!'. An excellent start to the negotiations.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Lee Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:27 pm

Bought a car and then searched and registered for this site.. maybe I should have done it the other way around?

I will go and give the van in my driveway a good look, using this guide.

Cooling doesn't seem to be a problem. Engine, brakes, gears, rust seems to be in check (passed technical controle... Belgian MOT I guess)

I do have a lot of dents, scratches an paint chips off on the outside of the little van ... The inside is worse. But I think it's all workable (doesn't have to be a princess, a hard working dwarf will do)

The locks do pose a problem...will check if wd40 does the trick and the rail of one of de sliding doors is broken. (Had to drill a hole trough it and place a bolt to keep it from coming of. Opens halfway now. :Provisional fix) .

Have bought some universal rubber carpets, ment for the back of a normal car, fits perfectly (after cutting a hole for the steering bar.)

One question... Is this guide a perfect guide for the Hijet's Italian nephew? Or does the Piaggio have other, more of less problems?

Grz

Ben.
Ben Lee
Ben Lee
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:39 pm

Easy answer, they are one and the same. Think I am right in saying the Italians made the Daihatsu Hijet under license from Piagio as my Daihatsu Hijet is stamped Piaggio Porter on a lot of things including its ID plate. Could b other way round but they are the same van.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by carljames Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:26 pm

Ednorris1 wrote:Noticed this on my Jet. What would the problem be and is it fixable?

"or its got stuff like copper flakes or scum in it then this van has problems."

Thanks

Ed

could be sealer added to cure a head gasket fault , cracked head or block at worst.

carljames
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:51 pm

cure being hide or subdue
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Daihatsu Hijet buyers guide - a little information for getting a good one Empty Thanks + Servicing advice...

Post by Savo1 Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:16 pm

Thanks a million HighlyJetted, we're looking for a Micro Van to run around and act as some quirky advertising for our small business... mostly running around town and not more than 20 miles at a time to our warehouse.

I plan to take your guide and a friend (crane mechanic so should be pretty clued up) when viewing...

At present there are a few DFSK options for about £3k on Autotrader, so the plan was to look at those, so I have just a couple of questions:

1 - Does the guide apply to DFSK microvans too? (There's a few on Autotrader now but as a new member I can't post external links yet or I'd show you!).

2 - I see a lot of posts on here re: spares, so I'll bear all that in mind when something goes wrong, but I can't see a great deal of info regarding servicing - I guess garage can perform repairs and services but are some better than others?
I can't find many specialists online, does anyone have a recommendation in the Midlands? Shropshire ideally?

Many thanks in advance!!!!

Savo1

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:59 pm

DFSK do need t have best of reputations as far as I am aware.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:20 pm

^^^ correct, most people who buy them deeply regret it.

Problem after problem, the build quality is not even fit for purpose.

People who bought them new had to take them back weekly with problems, some who bought fleets of them sent them back as they were riddled with so many issues.

Even if you were happy to tinker with it all the time, you'll sack it off after a few months.

They are best compared to those chinese mini moto bikes or pit bikes.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Savo1 Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:08 am

Fair enough, I can tinker but wouldn't want that level of hassle, so I'll rule out the DSFK... I guess I should look for a Diahatsu or Piaggio then? Any others?

And any info re: servicing would help too, thanks...

Savo1

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:07 am

Daihatsu, Piaggio.....same thing, different name.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Savo1 Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:32 am

Raggy wrote:Daihatsu, Piaggio.....same thing, different name.

Thanks, and Suzuki Carry? The same basically?

Savo1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next