Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

installing an aerial fresh.. ie there wasn't one before.. Can't see any suitable holes..!

4 posters

Go down

installing an aerial fresh.. ie there wasn't one before.. Can't see any suitable holes..! Empty installing an aerial fresh.. ie there wasn't one before.. Can't see any suitable holes..!

Post by danielfrisbee Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:39 pm

I suspect the dashboard will need unhooking but it's far from obvious how to get the aerial cable to run down through the column and pop out anywhere. Could drill a new hole but that seems a shame and might dangerously weaken the column-

Also had the idea that since the speedo and other dash readouts are so poorly illuminated, it might work putting u.v leds either in there or shining from the steering column, as the whites would likely glow and create a much more even read-out.. good idea? I think I'll try it..
danielfrisbee
danielfrisbee
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

installing an aerial fresh.. ie there wasn't one before.. Can't see any suitable holes..! Empty Re: installing an aerial fresh.. ie there wasn't one before.. Can't see any suitable holes..!

Post by wrightgeordie Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:37 pm

I replaced a missing ariel last weekend. I pulled out the drivers courtesy light switch, fished the ariel lead back out through the switch hole first and then back on its self through the same hole and into the cab. Use a torch and a wire coat hanger to pull the lead down from behind the master cyl/servo. 5 minute job.
wrightgeordie
wrightgeordie
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

installing an aerial fresh.. ie there wasn't one before.. Can't see any suitable holes..! Empty Re: installing an aerial fresh.. ie there wasn't one before.. Can't see any suitable holes..!

Post by Raggy Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:55 pm

For the dash lights Daniel have a look at my thread on what I did to improve mine. Click Here Binacle is easy enough to get into, just need to watch what you connect wires to, I found that hardest bit.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:09 pm

You can just fish it through with a little patience without stripping anything.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by danielfrisbee Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:15 pm

the aerial was really easy in retrospect, I just thought the cable with the plug wouldn't fit through the chassis hole, but it did, and my skinny little arms easily found it at the bottom. I've currently taken out the dashboard bit with the speedo etc, and am waiting for some ultraviolet leds to arrive in the post, which I'll have on wires so they illuminate the display from the front to glow all the whites. Might get some u.v active paint for the dials, like that crazy glowing orange colour. Did briefly experiment with putting the stereo in there behind the steering wheel because it would be funny, but decided not to. Though my original install position was where the ashtray etc was, and I found it a bit tricky to reach so it's currently in that 45degree position others installed it in, which is highly functional despite as yet looking fairly shit..
Currently building a big flat box with two subwoofers and two 8" speakers with tweeters to mount into the tailgate. All going well, though it's a bit heavier than I thought so will need to figure out a new way to hold the boot open I suspect..! Also got a couple of fancy amps cheap, for the subs and another for all the speakers, and they just fit behind the wall panels at the back under the non-opening window. The idea is that it's all fairly clandestine, so will keep it looking very close to what it would have anyway, minus 13cm depth to the cabin, but figure the trade off is worth it as for me listening to music is half of the pleasure of driving. Thanks though Raggy, and I was reading your dash lights thread earlier. My petrol lever doesn't work but that's likely a problem further down into the system, am contemplating getting that fixed with a new petrol tank, not sure if I'm ready to guess my way through petrol consumption, but perhaps I'll have no choice..!
danielfrisbee
danielfrisbee
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by danielfrisbee Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:20 pm

also tried taking out the sunroof as it leaks and the roof was rusty and needed sanding and painting. Made a massive bodge of that one, stripped the rusty screws on the sunroof, thought about kicking it out instead, and then just syringed silicon everywhere I could and painted the roof, which looks a fairly ghetto job but at least it's not going to be rusting as much, will likely lacquer it.
Doing this stuff is fairly amusing but it's taking bloody ages, such is my learning curve-
danielfrisbee
danielfrisbee
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:29 pm

Put some pics up, they explain things better than words sometimes.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down