Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Romahome road trip

5 posters

Go down

Romahome road trip Empty Romahome road trip

Post by waz Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:19 pm

Just caught the end of an ad on tv and looks like channel 4 have a program coming on about a road trip to Aus in a hijet Romahome. Maybe someone else has seen the ad?
waz
waz
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Romahome road trip Empty Re: Romahome road trip

Post by Raggy Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:43 pm

From website, its a Bedford Bambi camper. 

http://www.fosters.co.uk/helluvatour/

Not sure when on Ch 4 though
Romahome road trip Image10
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by andyk Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:45 pm

And to think I'm chuffed to get little Ernie all the way to Whitby without overheating...

andyk
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:59 am

WAZ!!! Wash your mouth out. Romahome's were all Fibreglass and all have beautiful rounded corners. Those hideous Bedford Bambi's were made of paper thin alloy and a matchwood framework.

For some of our younger members (like Logi) Romahome was the conception, (including the name) and completion of a brilliant man called Barry Simpson (look him up on Wikipedia,- you will be amazed at his genius creations) who came to fame in the sixties with the concept trike called the Stimson Scorcher. It was an in line two seater using a Mini engine. He has built so many different specials over the years. As far as I know all the Romahome Models you see on the road have been designed by Barry.
One of my favourites was a Trike that was made with a shortened Lotus 7 front, cut off behind the seats with a 1100cc Yamaha motor bike, minus front forks grafted on the back. I had the privilege of working alongside Barry at his factory in Portsmouth, in 2004 for a few weeks finishing the latest Romahome he had designed.

Owen Greenwood in the early sixties, built a mini engined Grass - track outfit/ trike/bike/three wheeler, that beat everything Grasstrack in Britain. Whether Barry got his idea from him is a matter for debate.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:43 am

Just watched some of the clips. I think that is gonna be a very entertaining series. The part in China where they are climbing up and down the mountain side is absolutely crazy. I wouldn't do that for a Million pounds. I wouldn't?? Yeah, for a Million I reckon I could be persuaded. Evil or Very MadTwisted Evil Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by oldie Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:13 pm

Not my video Woody....but I've done this walk a few years ago ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcczjFRcVcU

oldie
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:02 pm

Just watched the 6 episode I can find on Youtube and worth watching, quite funny. For the van, its shown in another video showing it being 'fixed up' (not much shown) and driving in I think episode 2 ( how it survived the road I dont know!)
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:10 pm

When I first looked I thought that the Golden one was N Reg but the white one they bought in the Graveyard was D reg. Will have another look at it.

That link to El Camino, Oldie, is much worse than the Chinese walk and climb.
How long ago did you go on that one??

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:19 pm

It's not the original van. This one that got the Gold treatment is "H" reg.

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:27 pm

oldie wrote:Not my video Woody....but I've done this walk a few years ago ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcczjFRcVcU

Be good to ride the trailbike there........ affraid
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:36 pm

I don't fancy your chances Logi on that disintegrating concrete and the girders of rust. You would benefit from wings on it and if that failed you'd be getting your wings at the Pearly Gates king

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:01 pm

Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:17 pm

I have never seen anything like that before. Sheer ( sorry about that) lunacy!! or incredibly brave. Can't make up my mind on that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:26 pm

Yes, I noticed the two different reg plates, thought it was just me being nerdy!
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by oldie Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:52 am

woody wrote:

That link to El Camino,  Oldie,  is much worse  than the Chinese  walk and climb.
How long ago did you go on that one??

Done that walk in back in the mid 90's (1996 I think)  scratch ...

Due to a number of deaths and daring rescues in the past, they've now made it a safer place to enjoy with new walkways etc ......
below the new walkways, you can still see the original 'paths' which we used Twisted Evil in these pics in this linky....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3018209/El-Caminito-del-Rey-walkway-reopens-Malaga-Spain.html

oldie
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:02 pm

Now that I would like to see with all the new walk ways I wouldn't resemble a Chivers Jelly.
In 2000 I drove a fully laden Transit Diesel from Portsmouth on the two nights crossing to Spain and drove like a looney down through Spain in August time to the Sierra Nevadas driving at pretty high speeds following an empty Artic through the 110mile journey pooping myself at the massive drops either side of the roads to arrive in Malaga around 11-30pm.
Over 700 miles with just two brief stops for fuel in 14 hours. We had planned to take two days to get down there but made such good time getting down near Grenada by 6ish then spotting the lorry with the name of the town we were heading for. We were following him at speeds of up to 70mph and felt comfortable as he knew the mountain roads. Great fun.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down