Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Insurance - The Daihatsu Hijet 16v EFI LPG does not exist!

+7
Logi
singledad
Penny PP
dundeejock
derekmwalshaw
bushwhacker
Gra
11 posters

Go down

Insurance - The Daihatsu Hijet 16v EFI LPG does not exist! Empty Insurance - The Daihatsu Hijet 16v EFI LPG does not exist!

Post by Gra Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:01 pm

I tried getting a better quote for the van insurance today and 4 van insurers say they cannot quote as my van does not come up on their system. Anyone else had this problem? That's going on here?

Gra

Gra
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Insurance - The Daihatsu Hijet 16v EFI LPG does not exist! Empty Re: Insurance - The Daihatsu Hijet 16v EFI LPG does not exist!

Post by Gra Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:39 pm

This gets worse, my current insurers have decline to renew my policy.

Gra

Gra
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Insurance - The Daihatsu Hijet 16v EFI LPG does not exist! Empty Re: Insurance - The Daihatsu Hijet 16v EFI LPG does not exist!

Post by bushwhacker Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:05 pm

Why?
bushwhacker
bushwhacker
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by derekmwalshaw Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:55 pm

Gra wrote:I tried getting a better quote for the van insurance today and 4 van insurers say they cannot quote as my van does not come up on their system. Anyone else had this problem? That's going on here?

Gra
When I first stated to insure my 97 1.0 Efi Hi-jet 6 seats.  With some insurers, it was coming up as an MPV. The best deal I have now is with Adrian Flux. Fully Comp at £35pm This includes full UK breakdown recovery and keyline insurance, Window excess.  Also there no extra cost or restrictions to modify it into a part camper. Example putting a box bed and curtains up. As long as you inform them
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

derekmwalshaw
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by dundeejock Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:29 pm

hi all
im 56 and just got my first trip in my hijet 1300 efi mpv 2000, but about insurance i went to aviva and got it for 286.00 fully comp at 27.00 per month direct debit, and i have 3 points, hope this helps

dundeejock

Back to top Go down

Post by Penny PP Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:34 pm

'm having a problem too

Penny PP
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by singledad Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:30 am

some come up as mpv others as van or van with side windows all depends what dealer put when v5 first applied for its a pain!!

singledad
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:55 pm

I'm £129 fully comp, own goods business cover, no issues whatsoever.
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarface GTti Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:41 pm

Get a pickup, i pay £110 and i don't have any no claims discount! Very Happy

Scarface GTti
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:31 pm

Logi wrote:I'm £129 fully comp, own goods business cover, no issues whatsoever.
If you do. Mi d saying, who is that with?
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:14 am

Post Office.
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:23 pm

i always had problems with normal ins companies telling me van was an mpv, its always been a panel van on the paperwork but they always insisted they are "directly linked to the dvla so im wrong" had to insure through specific van insurance for a while then finally found insurance via aviva who turned out to be the cheepest too and they insure me to drive other vehicles third party. dont remember having problems with the lpg and i dont think mines factory fitted (although it doesnt work now so should probably sort it or remove it!)
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:58 am

If you remove it you may have to tell the insurance company its modified, it is possibly described as either "Hijet LPG" or "Dual Fuel" on the v5c.

Hijets are a pain to insure, and I mostly put it down to the dealerships who registered them, as having had so many different V5c's for various hijets through my hands - it its a total lottery to what is in various boxes on the V5c.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:47 am

mmm, if its not factory fitted and i remove it would it then be "un modified "?!
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:26 am

I would be very sceptical that anyone would put an LPG kit on a Hijet after market.

Post a few pictures of the switch, control boxes under the passenger seat and I'll tell you if its one of the few factory fitted ones.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Gra Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:01 pm

HighlyJetted wrote:If you remove it you may have to tell the insurance company its modified, it is possibly described as either "Hijet LPG" or "Dual Fuel" on the v5c.

Hijets are a pain to insure, and I mostly put it down to the dealerships who registered them, as having had so many different V5c's for various hijets through my hands - it its a total lottery to what is in various boxes on the V5c.

If you tell a broker that it has LPG on the V5 you will have problems as their computers do not recognise it. Best to say it is a Hijet 1.3EFI with LPG conversion.

Gra

Gra
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:29 pm

What ever is on the V5c can be used as the truth, even if the insurance companies database is incorrect.

I have a customer who has a yaris, and everytime you rang an insurance company they would say after you gave them the registration number that its a Hilux. Even though the v5c plainly said Yaris. Obviously the database exported to the insurance companies is incorrect.

At the same time if the Vehicle was actually sold by daihatsu as an LPG Hijet, it may not have been registered correctly.

In which case you could possibly write to Daihatsu UK and request to know if it was sold as an LPG or not. If they confirm this, you can forward the letter on to the DVLA and they will correct the V5C.

If they are useless, and the vehicle has obviously got the factory supplied Prins kits on it. You could fake the letter from daihatsu stating it was a factory supplied LPG vehicle, then send it to the DVLA to get the V5C corrected. If you were ever questioned about this, you would just say this is what Daihatsu UK sent you, then it is your word against them.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Gra Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:51 pm

My V5c lists my Hijet as a 16v EFI LPG. Insurance companies do not have it listed on their databases so will not quote for it. When my last insurance renewal came in at a much higher premium I phoned the broker and asked if they could give me a better price. They asked if I had a better quote elsewhere. I said I could not get a quote because my V5c listed the vehicle as LPG. At this point I was asked for the exact description of the vehicle which I then gave to them. They said they would ring me back which they did a while later.

Far from getting a better price I was told that the renewal offer had been withdrawn and that they could not longer insure me. Although they had always known the vehicle was LPG they could no longer insure me because it was stated as such on the V5c!

Gra

Gra
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:05 am

mine is prins so probably factory fitted then. not sure i can get pics as the switch has been removed and i cant remember how to upload them!
neve had any probs with ins, it always came up on system as lpg, they just kept saying mine was an mpv!
i wont get round to doing anything anytime soon anyway, i still have two spare tanks that i wanted one of fitted to replace the leaking one but couldnt find anyone who could do it!
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:06 am

hmm, forum clocks a bit out! its actualy 2.05 am !
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:22 am

Most LPG places won't fit a second hand tank.

If it was my own van I would just fit it myself, then forget it ever happened.

The most common cause of the kits not working, is the wiring on the top of the ecu's under the passenger seat. There is a connector which goes dodgy. If you wiggle it around with the gas button switched on, they then kick in. Oh and rotten leaking tanks obviously!!
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down