Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spare wheel ??

4 posters

Go down

Spare wheel ?? Empty Spare wheel ??

Post by Penny PP Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:05 pm

Hi ! Nikky the proud owner of Penny Pp (piaggio porter) here. May seem like a stupid question but where do you keep the spare wheel Shocked I got my van two weks ago & the spare was just laying in the back. I have looked underneath & there is no cage like on some cars. At the weekend I installed a piece of wood 120 x 45cm as a divide between the rear panels & rear sliding doors (held in with slide bolts) I was wondering wether I should drill a couple of holes through this & bolt the spare to it so it is vertical & takes up relatively little space. Or has anyone got any other great ideas or a way of fitting it up in the roof right out the way. Any help appreciated Very Happy

Penny PP
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Spare wheel ?? Empty Re: Spare wheel ??

Post by Eightpot Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:47 pm

Mine should live screwed to a bracket on the nearside rear quarter as mine is an LPG van. But I'm seriously considering ditching the spare and going for a can of squirty foam as I'd rather have the space back and I can't remember the last time I had a flat tyre.

Eightpot
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Penny PP Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:14 pm

Can see your point but I seem to be very unlucky with tyres. Seem to be forever finding that nail that is in the road Embarassed

Penny PP
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by bushwhacker Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:44 pm

The later Piaggios were not supplied with a spare wheel, only with a compressor and some sealant. Unfortunately, that is the sort of thing a seller hangs onto or loses.
bushwhacker
bushwhacker
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Penny PP Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:05 pm

Oh ! My other half said to put some wood across the roof space & put it up there, not a bad plan.......unless I have to brake hard & it flies out smacking me in the back of the head Shocked unless maybe fitting a bit of angle bracket along the edge with a couple of screws, needs to be fairly hassle free to get the wheel out if i need it

Penny PP
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eightpot Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:26 pm

I've got the angle bracket out of mine which is going spare...

Eightpot
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:34 pm

You're lucky you got a spare - mine didn't come with one! Bought a can of sealant for the drive back from Essex, just in case. As previously said, it sould live under the floor, at the rear. You may have a circle of black tape covering a hole just inside the tailgate, slightly right of the catch, where the securing bolt would go.

Am planning to use the bracket from my spares van on it when I get round to it but as have recently had 4 new tyres am not panicking yet.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:25 am

I have got plenty of original Hi-Jet spare tyre racks and if the fitting bracket above the axle isn't fitted I could cut one off for you and you could bolt it through the floor or get it welded on.
On the rear bumper is there a 2" hole with a rubber bung in it and a hole through the bodywork for the loop bolt that would normally hold the end of the tyre rack up??

Perhaps you can answer that one Peter or Bushwacker.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down