Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sound deadening

+2
Lab_Rat835
FrontBackSide2Side
6 posters

Go down

Sound deadening Empty Sound deadening

Post by FrontBackSide2Side Fri May 02, 2014 6:15 pm

I just wondered if anyone had any experience of sound deadening a car using stuff like Dynamat and mass loaded vinyl?

It's something i am considering doing as with owning a pickup i don't think it would cost much or add a great deal of weight.

I'm adding a stereo to my truck and as there is limied room for speakers and amps etc i thought sound deadening would be a good way of improving the stereo  Smile 
FrontBackSide2Side
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Sound deadening Empty Re: Sound deadening

Post by Lab_Rat835 Sat May 03, 2014 9:14 am

i have used e-dead before and it is awsome but it is very heavy, it all boils down to what sort of sound system you are wanting to fit to what product you use, i have used old carpet before to great effect but you do lose a bit of bass because of it, the prob i am having wth my van is the panels dont viabrate the really move so no amount of e-dead or dynamate will cure it they need to be braced, i have a lot of experience with this as its i one of the things i do for a living, my specialty is bulding t-line boxes so ill help out as much as i can i got a couple of vids of customers cars they i been meaning to get on youtube so ill get them up and share the link so you can see what i do
Lab_Rat835
Lab_Rat835
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by ldv.tek Sat May 03, 2014 3:27 pm

Recently did my van with good quality rubber underlay, works a treat and cheap enough to buy from ebay or such like.

ldv.tek
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by FrontBackSide2Side Sun May 04, 2014 11:11 am

Ah its good to hear there is some experience on here Smile

I'm planning just a simple stereo setup of a set of amped 6.5" components, mids in the doors and tweeters on the dash. I don't think there is a lot of room for much else. Although the sound deadening will help the stereo it is not the only reason I want to do it, I also want to make the truck a nicer place to be for longer journeys too.
FrontBackSide2Side
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sun May 04, 2014 1:52 pm

The doors are crap for speakers, they make good speakers sound pants.

Sheet metal work flexes too much, the door cards are pants and the window seals dont seal.

Maybe make a chamber to go behind the door speaker.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by FrontBackSide2Side Sun May 04, 2014 3:26 pm

I'll be using dynamat to hopefully take the flex out of the doors and i'm going to be making some custom doorcards so i can incorporate any changes to help the speakers into them (any suggestions here?) As for the window seals, i'll have to have a think about that. I'm not sure i could make a chamber behind the speaker without affecting the window operation, i'm going to have to space the mids out from the door as it is.
FrontBackSide2Side
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by oldie Mon May 05, 2014 10:44 am

No need for expensive stuff like Dynamat etc.

Roof Flashing will do the same for a lot less money.
I covered every panel in the van with 'Roof Flashing' and it works a treat.
I've got the '2 way 6.6" Rockford Fosgate Punch' in my doors, made speaker rings out of 18mm ply-wood (painted grey) to get the depth to fit in original speaker location...sound superb with Phoenix Gold Amp.
Mids don't need to be in a sealed enclosure, they are designed to work that way and will be fine in a door enclosure.
Here's the type of self adhesive Roof Flashing.......

http://www.screwfix.com/p/evo-stik-flashband-primer-150mm-x-3-75m/55069?kpid=55069&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&gclid=COuc5cu3lL4CFe3JtAodZzcAUw

oldie
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Lab_Rat835 Mon May 05, 2014 12:19 pm

i am going to be making a baffle to put behind door cards ill get some pics up when i do should be sometime today
Lab_Rat835
Lab_Rat835
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by FrontBackSide2Side Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:02 pm

Lab_Rat835 wrote:i am going to be making a baffle to put behind door cards ill get some pics up when i do should be sometime today

Did you end up doing this?
FrontBackSide2Side
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by xxemaphorr Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:23 am

If you're putting 6.5" speakers in you will be making fresh mounting holes for the speakers so just make some solid door cards and screw straight through it all into the metal work. It'll fit no problem if you experiment with positioning (using the old door cards limits you of course). I managed to squeeze electric windows into mine as well so shouldnt be a space problem but do look at speaker depth. I used infinity speakers and they just cleared the window when down. I'm really happy with the sound and mine are amplified too (amp under passenger seat I found was the best place) and I didn't use any soundproofing - just better door cards and solid mountings.
xxemaphorr
xxemaphorr
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by FrontBackSide2Side Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:16 pm

Thanks for the info Smile yeah I'm planning on making some door cards and was thinking about adding a spacer ring to them if space is an issue with the speakers I'm using Smile

How are the electric windows? I replaced the drivers side mechanism with a new one, greased it all up but it seems quite stiff so I don't know if I would end up burning the motor out.
FrontBackSide2Side
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by xxemaphorr Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:52 am

Yeah my passenger side one was a little stiff but it didn't seem to bother the motors as long as it isn't catching or anything obvious like that. They didn't have an auto close on them anyway so they wouldn't burn out if it did get stuck. It was just a universal ebay kit and it fitted fine with a little light chopping! Would recommend
xxemaphorr
xxemaphorr
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by FrontBackSide2Side Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:20 am

i might give that a go then! Smile
FrontBackSide2Side
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by xxemaphorr Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:18 am

The one I bought:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Van-Universal-Electric-Power-Window-Conversion-Kit-/140450035140?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20b37975c4

I didn't like the green colour they light up as my dash is all blue now but the green would match a standard hijet dash. If you get one let me know if I can be of any assistance
xxemaphorr
xxemaphorr
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by FrontBackSide2Side Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:51 am

Cool. Thank you Smile

Any chance of a pic of your door cards so I can see what it looks like without the winder?
FrontBackSide2Side
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by xxemaphorr Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:10 am

yeah I can do that no problem. Work is draining me at the minute but when I get a spare minute I'll take a few for you
xxemaphorr
xxemaphorr
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by FrontBackSide2Side Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:33 pm

That would be great, thank you Smile
FrontBackSide2Side
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down