Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hijet high or low roof question please

4 posters

Go down

hijet high or low roof question please Empty hijet high or low roof question please

Post by knott4me Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:12 am

can someone help me with finding out if my hi jet below is high or low roof.
i am wanting to put some roof bars & a cycle rack on there so any help apprecited .kindest regards

hijet high or low roof question please 4779702328_a12df0e767

knott4me

Back to top Go down

hijet high or low roof question please Empty Re: hijet high or low roof question please

Post by leopard_pagan Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:50 am

looks like a standard roof to me.. not seen a hi/lo top Hijet TBH....
best thing to do is take some measurements of what your fitting the rack to and go from there.
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

hijet high or low roof question please Empty Re: hijet high or low roof question please

Post by knott4me Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:45 pm

thanks ,will do the thule website asks for std or high .

knott4me

Back to top Go down

Post by difflock123 Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:52 pm

The only thing I wondered is do they class the high roof as the camper version (you know, with the extending roof...)?

:S

difflock123
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by knott4me Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:00 pm

thats what i wondered .i dont get the van untill next week.low roof legs on the thule kit is 14mm & 24mm for high

knott4me

Back to top Go down

Post by difflock123 Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:10 pm

dont you mean 140mm and 240mm?

10mm difference isnt a lot :S

difflock123
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by knott4me Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:12 pm

i do thanks .sorry about that

knott4me

Back to top Go down

Post by difflock123 Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:43 pm

I have been thinking...

perhaps the roof bars are generic for suzuki super carrys/bedford rascals, daihatsu hijets, piaggio porters etc....

as I think the suzuki super carrys/bedford rascals have a different roof height than the hijet and the porter...

either that or perhaps its extra clearance for sun roofs to open? :S

difflock123
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:16 pm

you need high roof ones I have a set that are about 300mm high overall and they have the normal amount of clearence and you have the same van as me the camper looks to be about the same to but have seen a couple of different tops that lift one on top of what we have and the other looks to be the whole thing, carry, rascal etc have a low roof as in the gutter is only a inch or so from the top sheet metal.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by knott4me Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:24 pm

cheers .

knott4me

Back to top Go down

Post by difflock123 Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:28 am

rich the mechanic wrote:you need high roof ones I have a set that are about 300mm high overall and they have the normal amount of clearence and you have the same van as me the camper looks to be about the same to but have seen a couple of different tops that lift one on top of what we have and the other looks to be the whole thing, carry, rascal etc have a low roof as in the gutter is only a inch or so from the top sheet metal.

Thats sort of what I meant...

Thanks for putting it into better words Razz

and hopefully anyone else looking at roof racks/bars will understand Razz

difflock123
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by knott4me Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:08 pm

what are peoples opinions of putting a bicycle up there on the roof.in fact is there a law preventing me doing this.ie will it be too high in the eyes of the law.

knott4me

Back to top Go down

Post by difflock123 Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:17 pm

I would be concerned about the height :S

If you lay the bike down on the roof rack it should be ok...

I dont think there is a law concerning maximum height...

all I please ask, is if you put it on the roof rack, secure it properly...

I have seen a bike fall off a car roof on the motorway...and its damn scary :S

use some good rope and good strong knots, and run the rope around parts of the frame....

difflock123
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by knott4me Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:31 pm

cheers ,it will be mounted on a thule bike rack ive used on my vovlo for years so no issues with security & i always use a 12 mtr cable lock just incase.
im aware ill have to watch low bridges -car park barriers but if it slegal im happy to be carefull.

btw this is great helpful place .im hoping to collect my hi-jet any day soon .

knott4me

Back to top Go down

Post by knott4me Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:36 pm

knott4me

Back to top Go down

Post by difflock123 Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:04 pm

I personally would put the bike rack on and then measure the total height when a bike is attached...

I would reckon you would be around 10 to 11 feet high...

My Land Rover has a roof rack fitted, and has bigger wheels than standard so I will measure the highest point on that and have a little sticker...
not because I am likely to forget, but if someone else used it, it will be on a sticker...

difflock123
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by knott4me Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:18 pm

good idea.ill get something put on the steering wheel.
the mrs managed to rip a rear door of my lovely volvo yesterday Crying or Very sad as she didnt see it open so best to cover all angles.

knott4me

Back to top Go down

Post by knott4me Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:23 pm

a quick google sreached revealed most 4x4 are taller than my hijet & i often see bikes on the roof so thats reassured me a little.

knott4me

Back to top Go down

Post by difflock123 Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:04 pm

a standard Land Rover Series 3 SWB is 6 foot 4 inches to the highest point on the roof...

mine has a roof rack and 3" overall bigger wheels so I cant go under anything lower than 7 foot 6 inches :S Razz

just watch your centre of gravity :S...

difflock123
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by knott4me Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:11 pm

will do & cheers .just had the call it will be ready tom at 3.00pm .

knott4me

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:22 pm

I don't think there will be an issue legal wise as I've seen bikes on top of 4x4's nd seen them nearly take out the start line scaffolding at the kona 100
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by knott4me Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:46 pm

it arrived & what a beauty ....

knott4me

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down