Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Still alive and kicking

4 posters

Go down

Still alive and kicking  Empty Still alive and kicking

Post by eddie0303 Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:04 am

Hello all , been absent for the past few weeks due to work and a bout of chest infection , but now back to normal service . Not been much work done on the van of late due to the points given , so if weather permits its going to be on the agenda for the weekend .  My last van session ended up with me searching around for a leaky vacuum pipe and then ending up with a non starting van, the engine turns over but not firing up so God knows what has caused it . Anyway its back to the on going problem at the weekend and if it proves fruitless I will be putting in the garage as I cant find the time to keep messing with it at the moment. I imagine that many of you have ongoing problems at the moment , so at least I am not alone .

Anyway best regards to you all and hope to be a bearer of good news soon .

Bye for now P.S

I must mention the show I watched this evening , " George Clarks , Amazing spaces , I think its called . It showed a couple who had paid £2500 approx on buying a BMC ambulance off Ebay , which needed loads of work . They then planned on spending £10,000 on converting it to a motorhome for themselves and their 4 children. I have to ask myself where they find these people ? , I just wish I could have found someone like them to buy some of the vans I have had in the past. The end of the show showed a nicely converted van , but a total spend of £12,300 to achieve it . FFS , its a 1960 BMC Ambo with a petrol engine and no power steering which they spent £1500 on the engine alone ,which they said still needed some work Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 
Is it just me or are these people totally nuts . Worth watching if you get chance .

Eddie
eddie0303
eddie0303
Centurion

http://www.emhall-handyman.com

Back to top Go down

Still alive and kicking  Empty Re: Still alive and kicking

Post by waz Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:56 pm

I watched the program Eddie and agree with you. IMO It is worth doing up these old vehicles but as a petrol motorhome will work out a very expensive holiday.
waz
waz
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:57 pm

Well canal narrow boats cost about £1000 per foot new build.

I see alot of shoddy workmanship in campers of one form or another.

Nice materials, joinery and upholstery costs a fair bit of cash.

But I'm sure the price will have been juiced up for TV!!
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:58 pm

Some of the ok fit outs let themselve down when you open up cupboards and the insides are rough
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie0303 Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:46 pm

Hi Matt , The show I mentioned had no reason to hype the cost and from experience in converting some vans in the past I know that the cash can soon mount up if you are having work done by companies . In my opinion £13,500 to build a 6 berth motorhome is a cheap build if you compare it to the pro built options , but the choice of vehicle and the price paid for it was ridiculous . Spending £10,000 on the conversion would also not have been a problem if they had gone for a modern van , but who is going to buy a 1960 ex ambulance with a petrol engine and none of the modern day aids such as air con , power steering etc for £13.500 no matter how good its fitted out and, and go to all the trouble when you can buy a second hand American R.V for the same sort of cost that will give the same if not better fuel economy . MAD .
eddie0303
eddie0303
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:31 am

Totally mad are the only two words that I will put in print, I am thinking 
something different but you know me by now ---  Shocked Question

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:01 am

Anything old seems to command a premium price nowadays, my Daimler went for silly money, way more than it's true value. ( just think what we could get for Woody.... )
Fact is nostalgia sells, why is a splitty Veedub worth 30k? They're shit to drive. But I wish I had one. ( wish I still had my '68 bay window too tho)
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:35 am

Not a flipping lot Logi I can tell you right now.affraid

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie0303 Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:41 am

I know what you mean about the V.Ws Logi , but they have long been an icon with a huge following same as Daimler . I dont know if you saw the show but at one point the van would not start, ( Bare in mind its a 1960 petrol ) his so called mechanic mate spent 10 days trying to find the problem Shocked , 10 days !!!! , its not like its an electronic nightmare is it ? . and then they spent £1500 on the engine which still needed work doing on it , Mad They could have had a fully reconditioned unit for that, and where is the pleasure in dislocating your shoulders try to park a vehicle that size with no power steering ? .

I just wish I could attract buyers like them . Anyway I am off now to start work on my new Austin Agro which I bought off Ebay for £10,000 , real bargain , Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy and its still got 1 months MOT left on it .

Best to all

Eddie
eddie0303
eddie0303
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down