Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IT'S ALIVE!!!!

3 posters

Go down

IT'S ALIVE!!!! Empty IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Post by Grecian68 Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:37 am

Sunday managed to finish off the last bits to the van. 1.3 efi porter. coolant,oil,fuel etc, and it fired up, after 3 weeks of turning the air blue and very skinned knuckles, i got there. managed to do the head, exhaust valves knackered, with engine in situ, very tight but done and all seems ok. all lighting and electricals working, now for an mot!!! but the headlights look in poor condition!!! any ideas ? have contacted Valeo but not much use.

Grecian68
Clubman

Back to top Go down

IT'S ALIVE!!!! Empty Re: IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Post by PFM Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:04 pm

Well done that man! Hope it continues to run well.

New headlamps are pure unobtanium. Woodie was trying to get some re-silvered, not sure if he's actually got any now - you may have to wait and see if/when he returns (pretty sure that'll be when). Worth trying it for the MOT first - one of my vans has a corroded reflector but has passed the last couple of years as 'slightly defective'

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Grecian68 Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:19 pm

Thanks for the advice, the silver part is very discoloured on the nearside, I might just risk it and see what happens as it must have got threw the previous years like it!! Ive been holding off spending anything on it untill I got engine sorted, I haven't even washed it since I bought from some yard. Fingers crossed, really looking forward to getting this on the road.

Grecian68
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Grecian68 Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:29 pm

I gather the headlights which are obtainable from Italy/Spain, ebay, are not UK legal?

Grecian68
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:51 pm

If they're for LHD vans the glass (therefore, dip) pattern would be wrong. I'm not positive that's a MOT fail but would think it likely.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:43 pm

IT'S ALIVE!!!! Dsc_6410
IT'S ALIVE!!!! Dsc_6411

E-mail me on hi.jetmaniow@gmail.com with your contact details. I have also last night sent you a Private Message on the Forum.....

Right, going back to sleep.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:34 am

LbIT'S ALIVE!!!! Dsc_6412
IT'S ALIVE!!!! Dsc_6413
IT'S ALIVE!!!! Dsc_6414

I have 7 Nearside Headlights left. Two very good at £125 each, Four good ones at £100 each, and one which is good enough to get through an Mot for £75. All plus £15 each Post and Packing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:46 am

And yes PFM is most definitely correct. Fitting Right Hand Dip ( as per Continental specs)
would be an immediate failure.
Right that's my good deed for the day done.
Back to pottering about in the garage.

Back to top Go down

Post by Grecian68 Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:09 pm

OK. thanks. booked in for test next week. Might be in touch?

Grecian68
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by biofos Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:42 am

I queried the DVSA about this very question December 2016. If I fit European spec headlights to a UK spec vehicle and use the appropriate beam bender or beam converter, (a) is it legal and (b) is it a MoT failure. After some time the lady informed me that they had taken their time to ensure they were giving me the correct information. According to their MoT manuals such circumstances would NOT result in a fail and their combined use was perfectly acceptable for use in UK. I also asked if this situation was likely to change and was advised that as no 'markers' had been put against the section (indicating possible problems) she could not see any reason for change in the forseeable future. (Apparently it is only illegal if the vehicle fails the MoT and is then used on the road).

Subsequently I took my Porter fitted with EU spec lights (with a slight alteration to the bulb holder) adjusted to the best pattern I could get to my local MoT station and asked them if they would fail the vehicle on lights. They tested the lights on their machine and with a touch more adjustment achieved a setting that passed the standard test. The tester said he wasn't keen on the light pattern/spread BUT he would not fail it. This was without beam benders fitted. The tester is very used to EU vehicles being used in UK as the centre is near Catterick Garrison so a lot of soldiers have EU vehicles imported back into UK and he is also extremely keen.

Since then I've managed to obtain a pair of good Valeo's and with the Porters original headlights (95% good) and knowing I can use the EU spec units I'm set for a few years.

If anyone wants more information PM me.

John.
biofos
biofos
Chatterbox

http://www.biofos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:40 am

That's interesting and could save a Hijet or two. I do hope those 2 Valeo's you 'obtained' are the pair I have hidden away?

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by biofos Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:48 pm

Ha! You've noticed they've gone have you? Should have had a better hidey-hole Twisted Evil

Seriously, when I contacted the DVSA I had no idea what their response would be as I've read very strong but opposing opinion on the subject. I really wanted a definitive answer. The fact the DVSA took so long in their reply assured me the information was correct. When I took the Porter to the MoT station (the one I use for all my vehicles) I didn't tell the tester of DVSA's response, but he was obviously aware of the position as, after some minor adjustments, he said he would not fail the vehicle on the lights (the test was for research, not a MoT but the test criteria was used). Again I found this reassuring. When I spilt the beans there was much leg pulling and laughing but the tester got it right. Based on this I can use a set of EU headlights fitted with beam converters and adjusted properly, and know they'll not be rejected at MoT providing they pass the basic test (not blind oncoming traffic). The EU light pattern is not as well defined as the Valeo and lacks the kick-up being much flatter, but it is brighter and I have no problem using them.
biofos
biofos
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:37 am

You nearly had me there! Luckily they're safe and sound and snoozing somewhere warm. Good work there - so when will you start importing the lamps in bulk?

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by biofos Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:51 pm

It's probably just as economical to order one's own. The only savings to be made are in carriage from Italy or Portugal or where ever has them. Normally a largish parcel from EU costs about Euro 20~25. I really can't see any real savings to be made as whoever imports them has to post them out to folks within UK.

Another snippet I learned from my research is in regard to manual or electric adjusters. If you look up the MoT regs it says where electric adjusters are fitted they must work; however later it says if they are weak/not working then the benefit of the doubt goes to the applicant (provided lights comply with standard test). I wrongly assumed that if electric adjusters were originally fitted then any new headlights fitted should be of the same type. My tester maintains that as long as the lights pass the standard test it is irrelevant what type of adjusters are present because what the vehicle is fitted with on presentation for MoT is the only thing the tester can test. Even though the HiJet or Porter had electric adjusters as standard, properly fitted and well adjusted manual units will provide a pass.
biofos
biofos
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down