Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone run a Hijet on LPG?

5 posters

Go down

Anyone run a Hijet on LPG? Empty Anyone run a Hijet on LPG?

Post by Willst0ne Mon May 13, 2013 8:51 am

How do you efficiently run your Hijet on LPG? I have bought a HiJet with a factory fitted LPG conversion. However, it didn't come with the Prins LPG user manual. So I was trying to either find a copy of said manual, or pick your brains as to how best to run this van on LPG?

For example...

...how long should I run before I switch to gas?
...Can I switch over whilst driving or does the vehicle need to be stationary?
...What do the lights and symbols on the switching unit mean (specifically the top and bottom lights?)
...any other hints or tips for running on gas?

Thanks....

Willst0ne
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Anyone run a Hijet on LPG? Empty Re: Anyone run a Hijet on LPG?

Post by bushwhacker Mon May 13, 2013 4:39 pm

Willst0ne wrote:How do you efficiently run your Hijet on LPG? I have bought a HiJet with a factory fitted LPG conversion. However, it didn't come with the Prins LPG user manual. So I was trying to either find a copy of said manual, or pick your brains as to how best to run this van on LPG?

For example...

...how long should I run before I switch to gas?
...Can I switch over whilst driving or does the vehicle need to be stationary?
...What do the lights and symbols on the switching unit mean (specifically the top and bottom lights?)
...any other hints or tips for running on gas?

Thanks....

The Prins is a slightly primitive system now but is controlled in much the same way as any other LPG system although the layout of the control centre will differ.

On your system you have a vertical rocker switch:

1) Depressing the top should make it run permanently on petrol. Not a lot of use if you want to use cheaper fuel but probably useful for tuning. I believe it must be tuned properly on petrol first, then tuned to match on LPG so that setting will allow you to keep it on petrol until you are ready for the LPG part.

2) Depressing the bottom should put it into auto mode:
a) start on petrol if cold
b) switch to LPG once the water jacket has warmed sufficiently (takes about 3 mins stationary, about a mile or two while driving).
c) switch back to petrol once the LPG runs out.

3) Basically, for normal usage just leave it in the auto position and let it sort itself out. There is nothing else you need do.

Warning lights:

A) I believe there is a separate light for the 'petrol only' setting -- 1) above. Note which one it is.

B) I think the auto setting has one light for being on petrol and one for being on LPG and are probably different colours (red/green usually). Again note which is which.

C) There should be a set of five lights, four green and one red, for the LPG fuel level.

a) Four green = full.
b) One green = very low.
c) Red = reserve, about 10 litres.

There may be differences to this. eg the 'running on petrol light' may be the same one for petrol only and auto but I am fairly certain there are two different ones.

That is the best I can do for you because mine is an AC Stag system which has a different control centre but the basic principles of operation are the same.

PS.
Forgot to mention that there will probably be a warning buzzer which will sound for a while when driving to alert you to having run out of LPG. It will automatically switch back to petrol at that point with no effect on driving the vehicle (unless there is no petrol as well). It is usually recommended to keep the petrol level above a quarter full for that reason.

Last edited by bushwhacker on Mon May 13, 2013 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add bit about warning buzzer.)
bushwhacker
bushwhacker
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Mon May 13, 2013 5:59 pm

Don't think the prins system has the auto mode.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Willst0ne Mon May 13, 2013 8:42 pm

No mine hasn't the auto mode? It is either on or off. I think I'm getting my head around it. It's just the very top light I'm confused about? Anyone else an experience of a hijet with a factory fitted LPG system?

Willst0ne
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 14, 2013 10:20 pm

Prins system doesnt have any buzzer or warning device. It has 5 lights as rightly said --4 green -- 4 for full. 3 on for 3/4. 2 on for 1/2 and 1 for 1/4.
RED for 5 to 8 litres. It differs as pickup has larger tank than the van.
on the van it is fitted at the rear at where spare wheel would have been and on the pick-up its on off-side in line with chassis.

Switchover to either mode is usually very smooth and I start on LPG or petrol. I take Bushwackers point about the warm up but as with all the LPG jets I have had and in the 2 years I worked at Romahome I have never once seen a Prins manual yet.!!

Definitely always keep a quarter of a tank of petrol or a ( FULL ) gallon can with you as the Green lights are notoriously unreliable.

I run on LPG all the time I am able to and let it run right out whilst driving then flickover to petrol. Plus you can get a little more in the tank if filled from empty . A tank will not fill right up --- usually 80 to 90 percent fill.

Back to top Go down

Post by Willst0ne Tue May 14, 2013 10:30 pm

Fantastic, thanks woody. My van skips (?) a little when I switch from petrol to gas - any ideas? Also I'm still confused by the very top light on the prins switch it looks like a sun shape and I've never seen it light up or anything?

On a different note I've been taking to the prins factory in Southampton and they are having a search for an old manual. If it is found I will post it in here.

Willst0ne
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Wed May 15, 2013 1:36 am

I got a little cough when I switched mine over, it's to be expected.

If you are talking to Prins, I am interested in getting my hands on the programming lead and software for the Prins ECU Wink
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 15, 2013 3:53 am

HighlyJetted wrote:I got a little cough when I switched mine over, it's to be expected.

If you are talking to Prins, I am interested in getting my hands on the programming lead and software for the Prins ECU Wink

Blimey again Willls.!!! This talking thing of yours ___ From now I am re-naming you Prince Wills- You would make a very good Emissary for the Owners club. I know I can talk the hind leg off a Donkey --and most of mine is hot air and HJ is the Soothe-Sayer or Font of All Wisdom and Logi doesnt say a lot-- but what a wise old comedian he is ----- But you, You really take the biscuit. What do you do for a living ??
I reckon you should nip down to Westminster and give those overpaid Numptys in there a damn good talking to or stand for PM my friend.

As HJ so rightly says, its absolutely normal for there to be a little cough when you switch from one to the other-- but this point about the other light I am lost there. Dont remember an Orange light and as its 3-30am I am certainly not going out in this wind and rain to have a look what you mean. You been nicking some of Logis Whiskey have you.? I will look in the morning -- all right it is morning already but at 6 am when I get up.

When you talk to Prins can you please make that a second set ( and as Romahome when I was Service and Warranties Manager there spent hundreds of thousands with them tell them I expect both sets free of charge and if not give me their number and I will do it) Worth a try in my book--if you dont ask you dont get-- and I usually get away with blue murder.

What are you doing up so late Matt --bog off to bed --its way past your bedtime.( 1-40 am when you were on here) Its only ageing- arthritic pain troubled old farts like me that are allowed to be up at 3-40am posting blogs on here. You should have been in bed keeping your lovely young lady warm.

Thanks again Prince Wills. Good work young man. Keep it up and keep us all informed. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Willst0ne Wed May 15, 2013 6:03 am

Thnaks I'll ask today and let you all know.

My lpg switch is the same as in this thread...

https://hijet.forumotion.com/t924-another-bloody-hijet-but-this-time-on-lpg-gas

Its the very top light on the switching unit?

Willst0ne
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Wed May 15, 2013 11:16 am

It's some form of error/service light.

Not sure if its always on, or always off , as i've sold that LPG van.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by bushwhacker Wed May 15, 2013 4:16 pm

HighlyJetted wrote:Don't think the prins system has the auto mode.

The old style systems did not have any means of switching to LPG only, they only had auto or petrol. Given the advances made to such systems any Hijet 'factory' fit is indeed old.
bushwhacker
bushwhacker
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Willst0ne Wed May 15, 2013 5:02 pm

It's an 02 plate so I guess that'll have the old system in it? The switch either lights up, which then I assume is auto? And will start on petrol then switch to LPG when its ready?? Or no lights which I assume is off and will only run on petrol. I've got a user manual being sent from Belgium and a workshop manual (if they can find one?) coming from Southampton prins offices. I'll pop them on here when they arrive. W

Willst0ne
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by bushwhacker Fri May 17, 2013 4:38 pm

Following is for a 2003 system:

There are 6 leds from top to bottom:

* Green flashes when LPG tank is empty probably accompanied initially by a buzzer sound.

)))) Green LPG level 4/4

))) Green LPG level 3/4

)) Green LPG level 2/4

) Green LPG level 1/4 also indicates running on LPG.

^ Red auto setting warming up on petrol

Starting up:

a) set switch to LPG (auto position)

b) start engine

c) The red light (triangle) will come on to indicate running on petrol.

d) Once the engine has warmed sufficiently the lowest level light ) will come on to indicate the engine is running on LPG and the red light will go out.

e) After a short while the level lights will start to climb to show the approximate level.

Running out of LPG -- the buzzer will sound, the top green light will flash and it will automatically switch over to petrol. No action necessary on the part of the driver.

Switching to petrol manually (at any time, engine running or not):

a) press the switch at the top

b) the engine will now run on petrol

c) there will be no leds on at all.

Notes:

1) Information distilled from the internet so hopefully it's all there.

2) Sorry about the bad layout but the computer I am using seems to be insisting on double spacing the lines. Can't find a way to stop it so just have to go with it.

3) As indicated before it is essentially the same as mine but the method of displaying the information is slightly different.

Last edited by bushwhacker on Fri May 17, 2013 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : slight clarification of manual switching)
bushwhacker
bushwhacker
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by d1noh Fri May 17, 2013 8:45 pm

I run Bi-fuel Jets, I start them on LPG, run them on LPG and stop them on LPG, I use between 15 and 25 lts a day when they are having to work for a living, never had a problem, only switch to petrol when I run out of LPG or occasional test
d1noh
d1noh
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Willst0ne Fri May 17, 2013 9:38 pm

Bushwacker - just what I was after thanks a million. I've been trawling the net for ages and all I found was some doggy German manual I couldn't decipher. Where did you find it all? I've got some manuals on there way from Prins and ill happily post them when they arrive.

d1noh - Thanks for the info. Just out of interest, as a LPG hijet user, where do you get the LPG system serviced or checked over?

Thanks again both. W

Willst0ne
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by d1noh Fri May 17, 2013 9:45 pm

Never touched it in that way, will be stripping 1 in the next couple of weeks to transfer to another vehicle but thats about it
d1noh
d1noh
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri May 17, 2013 9:48 pm

Post a link to this dodgy german manual and I'll translate it.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by bushwhacker Sat May 18, 2013 3:29 pm

Willst0ne wrote:Bushwacker - just what I was after thanks a million. I've been trawling the net for ages and all I found was some doggy German manual I couldn't decipher. Where did you find it all? I've got some manuals on there way from Prins and ill happily post them when they arrive.

d1noh - Thanks for the info. Just out of interest, as a LPG hijet user, where do you get the LPG system serviced or checked over?

Thanks again both. W

Glad it was useful.

Found most of it on a sales video, a bit on the Prins site for the latest system combined with a little lateral thinking.

As for servicing, I've never had it done in the approx three years it's been installed. Any installer should be able to do that for you but why not try a Daihatsu dealer if there is one near you?

Alternatively, there is an installer location finder on the Prins importer's website.

Last edited by bushwhacker on Sat May 18, 2013 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add info about location finder.)
bushwhacker
bushwhacker
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by El_Ventu Sat May 25, 2013 4:54 pm

Mine runs on LPG, but with a totally different system (Landi, not Prins, and Injected, not mixed).

But there are some basical things, good for any system.

Running on petrol, sometimes, keeps your petrol injectors clean.
to keep it clean, I suggest to use a "premium" gasoline (we have the Eni/Agip Blusuper in italy, 98RON with cleaning additives).

Some lubricant additions helps the gasoline pump to work better, on LPG the gasoline flow is small or zero, and pump can overheat in some cases.
If all was perfect, the pressure switch stops pump when the right pressure is achieved in the fuel rail, but sometimes there are internal leakage in the pressure regulator(s), then pump starts and stops a lot of times.
Diesel fuel is a good additive, I use it in a quantity of about 3-400cc in a full gasoline tank (35l).

Engine can run without problem on LPG even at cold starting.

But the LPG evaporator doesn't...

Allowing the engine to warm up to about 35-40°C is an about necessary thing to do to avoid irregular air-fuel ratio.

LPG seems to worn exhaust valve seats.
The problem is correlated to a lot of fators, but the main one is the fact that LPG combustion creates less carbon deposits and particles.
This isn't a big problem for our engines, it seems valve seats are suitable to work with LPG.
But when we need to run engine at high speed and throttle , it is better to allow the engine working on petrol...

El_Ventu
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down