Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another bloody hijet but this time on LPG gas

+10
kentgpz11
waz
d1noh
PFM
elfin girl
rich the mechanic
Logi
HIJET1300GT
8bit-ash
HighlyJetted
14 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Another bloody hijet but this time on LPG gas Empty Another bloody hijet but this time on LPG gas

Post by HighlyJetted Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:47 pm

Collected this yesterday, it has 80k miles, no Tax or MOT. Its LPG, it has a stainless steel decat exhaust, it has a big dent in the rear drivers side doors but otherwise very little rust in the weak spots. Its missing the rear bumper and has a broken rear passenger side light cluster. I think I'll fix and keep this one, and sell the white low milage one.

Another bloody hijet but this time on LPG gas Interi10

Another bloody hijet but this time on LPG gas Lpg_ta10
Another bloody hijet but this time on LPG gas Lpg_fi11
Another bloody hijet but this time on LPG gas Lpg_ga10
Another bloody hijet but this time on LPG gas Lpg_ec10
Another bloody hijet but this time on LPG gas Vapori10

Another bloody hijet but this time on LPG gas Engine10

Last edited by HighlyJetted on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:45 am; edited 3 times in total
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Another bloody hijet but this time on LPG gas Empty Re: Another bloody hijet but this time on LPG gas

Post by 8bit-ash Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:54 pm

Ex Fulham and Hammersmith council I recon. Mines a V... KKJ, same LPG setup too. You can still see the sign writing on my front doors if you look carefully. Exhaust would set you back nearly the cost of the van so good buy i recon.
8bit-ash
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Another bloody hijet but this time on LPG gas Empty Re: Another bloody hijet but this time on LPG gas

Post by HighlyJetted Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:01 pm

Its got some numbers on the bottom right of the tale gate - 2166

And after that tip - on the doors I can faintly see fulham hammersmith council writing in a box with rounded off corners!
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by HIJET1300GT Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:24 pm

Run it or break it for 260 its a giveaway.
Saw this on the bay . Head gaskets an easy one
And was included in the price ! Sweet. cheers
HIJET1300GT
HIJET1300GT
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:42 pm

Yeah that what I thought, in the boot it came with a new full gasket kit, a radiator and a new tyre. It was green though when I collected it, took some scrubbing to get it red again, been parked under some big tree's for a while. I never thought i'd win the auction, but last minute I came in with cheeky bid and won it! Can't forget it also cost me £60 to get it delivered from Leicester to Crewe Crying or Very sad

Looking at the coolant system on this thing, the LPG system has made the troublesome hijet coolant system even more complicated, and more difficult to bleed. Before I go taking the engine apart I will test and inspect the radiator and pressure test the whole system. I can already see the radiator cap under the passenger seat is shot.

From hearing about so many other overheating hijet saga's, I'm not so sure the head gasket is the cause although it will be a symptom with time.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:53 pm

Pretty good body for the money, looks like a bargain Very Happy

Inclined to agree with you on the overheating, had a wee hot spot with mine on the way home from York last week. Boiled due to losing a wee bit water, refilled it, bled it got it home, put 2 new rad caps on, found the bottom hose was weeping(prob accenuated by the new caps) just before going to pick up the Yam yesterday, new hoseclips fitted, bled it, still getting warm, dropped the bottom cap off to force coolant through(wastes a bit of coolant but purges a lot of air) bled it from the valve, ran well. checked it again this morning, topped up before going to Glasgow, it's fine now. Problems arise i guess when garages/owners don't spend the time bleeding it thoroughly, it's a pain but neccessary.
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:18 pm

HJ I have a pair of van sliding doors that need less repairs than yours but are blue you are welcome to them if you collect.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:44 pm

Aw man thats so good, but to look a gift horse in the mouth - thanks but i'll pass on them. But if i see a blue one at the right dollar with fucked doors i'll be on your doorstep! I'm crap with paint n stuff so it'll cost me more than i've seen some red ones on egay. Firstly thought my money and time goes into fixing the coolant system on this, bar those damn wheels logi stitched me up with.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Another bloody hijet but this time on LPG gas Empty same lpg as mine

Post by elfin girl Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:35 pm

hi, ive just joined and found your post while browsing, i notice you have the same lpg conversion as me, and you say this causes more problems with the cooling system? dont suppose you have any more info or advice (in simple terms please, im no mechanic!) mine has been suffering with overheating for some time, its getting worse, when i went out to refit a seal on the rad cap last night i had real problems filling system up and getting the air out, it just keeps bubbling up now Crying or Very sad im getting to my whits end with it, and just dont know what to do, i feel like im going to be restricted to short drives forever!
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:28 pm

While you have overheating issues you really shouldn't drive it at all, and it should be doable to get to the bottom of this.

What I mean by the LPG system is that it adds more complication to the coolant system because the vapourizer is piped to the engines coolant system. This will add to the already difficult to bleed system, not making things any better really. I'm replying to you on facebook as you already know but it would be best to keep to one topic on here.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:32 pm

just noticed this, yeah, would make sense to have all the posts here, ill try and remember to log on AND check any replys! Very Happy
cheers for the advice already, im gonna run it tommorow and see if the new seal works on the rad cap and check the bottom of the rad too
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:44 pm

How are you going about bleeding it? When you say fit a new seal, do you mean a new cap?
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:49 pm

Does sound like it, didn't know you could get them anymore - them were the days! (Well, so my Grandad always said!)

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:51 pm

got new caps as rubber on old ones were perrished but the new ones wernt a good fit, about a rubber washer not deep enough so wasnt sure if this was why its now leaking there, im not sure im bleeding right tho, filling up from rad till water flows out from the pipe under seat, put cap on that then top up the rad more, this did seem to be working but yesterday there seemed to be loads of air in the system, i have noticed the last couple of times i open the cap under the seat its like opening a fizzed up pop bottle, is that normal? it never used to do that! this after its been run but left till next day so totaly cooled
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:54 pm

I'll reply on your own thread, save hijacking this one. Smile
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:31 pm

So as promised I have mostly tonight been dicking with this Gas Jet.

I have drained it all out, taken the bumper off and refilled it. Now it seems to run fine but without a proper test drive it is an assumption.

I have left it ticking over for about an hour, with it kicking in the electric fan every 5 minutes or so, plus I've put a load of carpet over the radiator to get it about 3/4 of the way up the temp gauge.

It no longer boils over, the heaters inside are hot, the LPG vapourizer is hot. I'll let it all cool down then have a look to see if its gained an air pocket later or in the morning.

What I found was at fault was the main rad cap under the passenger seat was fucked, and having a spare new one in the garage was quite handy!

Bleeding it was pretty easy, I just followed the instructions under the grill at the front, but instead of using the nipple which it doesn't have as the LPG vapourizer is connected their, I just pulled the hose off while I got my girlfriend to pour water in. When It came to spew out I reconnected it and tightened up the jublee clip. Rocket science!

Another bloody hijet but this time on LPG gas Radcap10

Another bloody hijet but this time on LPG gas Radcap11

This is my fucked hijet rad cap collection, the two on the left are blatantly the wrong cap as the rubber is to wide to fit the hole properly, while the one on the right is getting worn out from being on and off too many times. The one on the left is off the new Red LPG hijet van, while the two on the left are from Ernie the pickup.

Make of it what you will, and I shall get this van in for an MOT asap next week. Plus the bonus is the LPG pickup has 3/4 full tank of gas in it!!! But pretty much no petrol Sad
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:33 pm

p.s. someone had messed with the wiring under the dash trying to fit an immobilizer, the immobilizer was crap and would continuously drain the battery. Class act. Typical Hijet owner.

This might have effected the electric fan, but I'll never know as I fixed it all up to fully standard spec before I tested it all out.

Great at messing with unneeded stuff but fully overlooking the obvious. Seems like I might be getting a free gasket set after all!
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by 8bit-ash Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:22 pm

Stop messing with the engine and fit them wheels.
8bit-ash
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:30 pm

8bit-ash wrote:Stop messing with the engine and fit them wheels.

Here Here!!! Razz
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:34 pm

No point having wheels if the engine don't work! Rad caps can be a pain, but also it's worth checking the metal the rubber washer is trying to seal against - if there's loads of crud or corrosion there then water will find a way out before the pressure gets to 0.9

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:54 pm

thats all in bang tidy condition, actually i'm shocked at how little rust there is everywhere on this van. The inner arches are ace and so are the other bits which tend to go on them. That top coolant pipe with the rad cap in it barely has any rot on it all together. Blown away for the cash, luck comes and goes hey!

Those rims have a centre bore that will fit straight on too and the tyres on this are in great condition so i can just swap them onto the compomotives.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:28 pm

Well that rad cap from your LPG van is in much worse state than mine was! I don't have any instructions under my grill!
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:35 pm

I'm just running it through warm up session number three.... its running outside now and I've just heard the fan kick in for the 3rd time.

Before I started it this time there was the most tiny bit of air in the top hose, we are talking two tea spoons to fill it up.

Now I'll let it cool back down again over the evening, and when I get back home at 11:00pm I'll see if its airless.

One thing for sure, it's definitely not boiling up or getting any big air pockets growing.

MOT this week I think!! Better go switch it off before my neighbours get hacked off too much (just heard the fan for the 4th time)
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:38 pm

p.s. It sound fu*king rawkus with that stainless steel decat exhaust on it!!! Rarrrrrppp rarrrrp Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:18 am

Well after about 10 warm ups and cool downs I keep ending up with this pocket of air at the rad cap under the passenger seat.

Not sure if its fresh air or combustion gases, so I've order a chemical block testing kit which should be here any day.

If that come up positive I know its 100% the head gasket or a cracked cylinder head etc.

If it comes up negative or if it come up positive I'm pressure testing the radiator, after all it could be a leaking radiator which caused the overheating which ended up in head gasket failure - (if you get me!)

Anyone who ever replaces a head gasket without testing the rest of the system is a numpty bounce bounce bounce

yeah I'm underlining that.

I have this theory that I have a tiny air leak somewhere because I have not lost any fluid throughout these warm up cool down cycles as I have drawn a line on the header tank bottle, and when I replace the air gap in under the rad cap with water from the header tank I end up back at the line. I get good pressure in the system when its hot, so it would seem to be pretty pressure tight-ish. What I think happens is this:-

Engine warms up, cooland gets pushed out to the bottle with expansion.
Engine cools, water contracts, pulling air through a tiny hole somewhere.
I put the water back into the system from header tank. Back round the cycle I go.

Heres hoping anyway
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:19 am

Mine boiled on the way back from York, bottle was full, drained, refilled, got home. Replaced the coolant & both rad caps. Was better but not right. Noticed a wee leak then from the bottom rad hose. Replaced with quality hose clips. No probs since. I tend to agree about the pulling air in. Anyone with overheating issues needs to replace those stupid spring clips first. Or at least squeeze them to see if they are still springy. Mine looked fine. Squeezed it and it halved, rotten and not springy therefore not sealing.
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by 8bit-ash Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:30 pm

HighlyJetted wrote:

Anyone who ever replaces a head gasket without testing the rest of the system is a numpty bounce bounce bounce

silent
8bit-ash
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:41 pm

Do you fall into this catagory?! Laughing

You have to ask yourself is it the cause or the symptom. And also ask yourself do you want to do the head gasket again in a month when it's ran out of water.

I'm making friends left right and centre today, I've just told the lads who've laid a patio at my grans that its coming back up and this time they are doing it properly Evil or Very Mad The fall is all wrong, there are loads of high and low spots, the edges are on the piss. Told them to go home, drink loads of beer to wash today away and come back tomorrow to do a nice proper job. Lets see what happens hey.....
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:14 pm

It been raining all evening since I got in, but I thought I'd have a play with the red gas jet:-

Drained out all the "coolant" = brown sludgy crap obviously had rad weld sort of products in it.

Flushed out the system best I can without a strip down by disconnecting some hoses and pumping clean water through with the hose pipe, easiest is the heater matrix, and the LPG vapouriser. Flushes hundred of litres though it all, water runs nice and clean so far. I removed the header tank overflow bottle, and cleaned it inside and out till its perfectly clean like new. Trying to reduce the radweld contamination.

Then I've surfaced both the rad cap fittings with a flat steel block wrapped in wet and dry emery paper, and for the inner seal point I've found a nice flat round grinding tip which fits in the hole so i've surfaced the inside seal point too.

Finally i've refilled the system with just plain clean water (piping hot to help speed up the warm up cycle), bled it best I can via the label method. Then i've warmed it up till the fan kicks in a few times, rev'd the bollocks of it, drove it up and down my little yard. Now I wait till it cools back down to see if I have got rid of the air gap. Either later tonight or maybe in the morning.

Got the weekend off from any jobs or tasks so this is getting my concentration for the weekend. Want it on the road so I can sell the clean white low milage one before I crash/blow up/melt tyres etc or all the above! Laughing
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:25 pm

Just got my fail certificate:-

Fog light not working (not the bulb though)
Windscreen washers insufficient liquid flow
Both front wiper blades
Rear brake flexible pipe corroded

Pretty damn good that is!
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next