Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Total Recall HJ -- memory -- not parts.

5 posters

Go down

Total Recall HJ -- memory -- not parts. Empty Total Recall HJ -- memory -- not parts.

Post by Guest Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:37 pm

I don't know if it was you and if so whether you would remember HJ but April/May time last year there was an "S" reg Metalic Blue 16v. MPV for sale on E-bay by a chap with the handle of "MusicalTim" in the Oxford area and he had auctioned it because it would stop while driving or wouldn't start and his garage had looked at it numerous times but couldn't get to the bottom of it.

Then somebody very kindly emailed him some advice about the fuel pump-- dis-connecting a connector block and applying power to one of the terminals-- I think it was something like that and my guess is that it was your kind self as whoever it was, was certainly very knowledgeable and my guess is that it could have been you. Can you remember doing this HJ. Woody50

Back to top Go down

Total Recall HJ -- memory -- not parts. Empty Re: Total Recall HJ -- memory -- not parts.

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:39 pm

Although I do email people left right and centre - I don't remember this.

I would say this one sounds more like the two little wires on the battery live connector breaking up.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Total Recall HJ -- memory -- not parts. Empty Re: Total Recall HJ -- memory -- not parts.

Post by Guest Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:08 pm

Oh drat !! I felt sure it was you. I won it in the auction on E-bay last year -- as I said, an S reg 1300 6 seat MPV with some spares for just £321-00. I brought it back from Oxford and with petrol and Red Funnel Ferry fare it owes me around £390 so a reasonable bargain.

I have my doubts about the battery feed leads as everything else works. It's just the engine that fails. HANG ON !!! I wonder if its a dodgy connection on the cam sensor ?? Now that would be ironic wouldn't it ?

Its sat in one of my yards behind my X reg Romahome which when I can get these piccies sorted you will see. The engine sounds sweet when it decides to run so cant make up my mind whether to break it or sort it and and use it as a spare van to keep my handyman tools dry in the winter or on rainy days.

Seats and belts will make £250 headlights, radiator, doors etc will give me a good profit-- but I will have been beaten by not knowing what the problem is.

If I decide to get it running in a month or so --- (am very busy at the moment putting a Romahome body off a customers Honda Acty onto an 04 plate with 49,000 miles and LPG -- another Ebay bargain at £1050 ) could you help me with diagnostic ideas if I run the symptoms past you. ? Would be more than glad to help you with a donation to help you support your local pub. sunny

Oh yes. I had a go at joining the Photobucket thingamydooferwotsit and each time I put in the sme password twice I had created it said it was wrong and both words need to be the same. THEY ARE I was screaming at the stupid thing. Seven times I tried it and each time came up with the same stupid fault. So that's it for Photobucket - into the bucket more like. Woody 50

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:17 pm

Seats and belts will make £250

Really? I have 2 front seats with 9000 miles on them, can't sell them for £15 ?
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:31 pm

Try Ebay. Thats where I sold my last ones last year and wished I hadn't. I will gladly give you £15 for them Logi. Find out out how much the carriage is and I will stick a cheque in the post to you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:42 pm

I broke up a Y reg one that I bought from Romahome that had only done 9000 miles. Tt was a Meals On Wheels one for the WRVS in Croydon that we had built and a sacked employee got into the WRVS compound of ten newish ones and played bumper cars with it and I got it as salvage for £200. I still have the seats, gearbox, rear axle, springs and loads of imacculate interior bits. I used the engine in a dead 02 plate van.

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:44 pm

Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:28 am

Get hip - get wrappin'

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:45 am

Hi Logi. I note your disdain. 2 years ago when I bought my 03 MPV it had been a Mobility Vehicle built by Charles Warner & Co. It had a carpet covered 1" thick plywood liner on the floor with four quick release wheelchair mounting and had had a folding ramp which had been removed.

I bought it from a friend locally who had wanted to put seats in it but had been scared off by the prices quoted down south here, so decided to sell it and I was in the right place at the right time . It had done only 26000 miles and I gave £2000 for it.

I was shocked when I enquired about getting the right colour seats for it. the cheapest I found were up by London Airport and were £250 PLUS vat and when I got there to pick them up expecting to have the seat belts included was told Oh no, they are £50 plus vat extra. SO when I advertised an MPV breaking I put them up for £275 including belts and got £250. Bit different in Scotland is it Logi??

Is your name LOGI taken from the Greek word meaning " The Word" or LOGOS meaning " GOD "? Just curious .

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:50 am

woody50 wrote:Is your name LOGI taken from the Greek word meaning " The Word" or LOGOS meaning " GOD "? Just curious .
I can hardly bear the wait to hear his answer to that one!

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:56 am

What, do you mean I will HEAR the answer down here on the Island first before I get a reply PFM. ???

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:36 am

woody50 wrote:I have my doubts about the battery feed leads as everything else works. It's just the engine that fails.

Thing is, one of those little wires is the feed to the EFi system.

Everytime someone has had this issue, their headlight still work, their wipers work, their radio works, all of the lights on the dash still work.... except the engine warning light doesn't come on Wink

I originally found this out, because I was gunning it home one night, when I hit a hump back bridge at some serious pace. Bouncy bounce..... engine cuts out.

It wouldn't start, started worked fine. Everything else was working too. You won't get the fuel pump kicking in though either.

Purely by chance I decided to have a look at the battery connectors, and I noticed one of the tiny wires had fallen apart. So I bodge it with some speaker wire and it worked like that ever since.

Since then I'd say around 10 other people have come on this forum with non start issues, which have turned out to be the batter wire.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:39 pm

I bow to your experience HJ. I will check that out in the morning. If you are right I will be asking for your address to send you a gratuity. I will be be over the moon if you are right. Thank you very much for your kindness.

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:04 pm

I'm just a lad mate, I mess with stuff, it's what I love. Do not worship me as I am often wrong about lots of stuff!

What I do like though is to follow peoples experiences, and to make sure they let me know how it all goes so I can help other people and my self in the future.

Someone recently has been PM'ing me about a hijet that has starting issues. They were in belief that it was the cam position sensor, which had been replaced in the last diagnostic attempt. Turns out their cam doesn't actually turn where the sensor connects to it. Turns out its got a snapped cam shaft. They replaced the head, and guess what happened after a few miles.....

Total Recall HJ -- memory -- not parts. Img_2413

Ouch!!!

Would seem they have an oil starvation issue as I suggested at first when the snapped cam was found.

Also it seems their oil warning light wasn't working. Funny coincidence hey?!

So now they are fighting their way to remove the sump and oil pickup to see what is/or isn't blocking the gauze up. I'd bet the gauze is totally gummed up, but time will tell.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:05 pm

p.s. So if you've got a spare head with cam for this poor soul for small cash, please let us know as it would make them very happy!
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by oldie Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:59 pm

PFM wrote:
woody50 wrote:Is your name LOGI taken from the Greek word meaning " The Word" or LOGOS meaning " GOD "? Just curious .

'The word' is.....Logi IS 'God' lol! .

oldie
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:37 pm

oldie wrote:
PFM wrote:

'The word' is.....Logi IS 'God' lol! .

The Scottish word most used in my direction is Bawbag..... Laughing

Sadly, the boringly true answer is my name is Logan. Sleep
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:20 pm

"Logan, Logan the bear....everyone knows his name"

Catchy, ain't it? Very Happy

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by waz Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:32 pm

The Scottish word most used in my direction is Bawbag.....
You Logi!Never Very Happy Very Happy
waz
waz
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:54 pm

Yes no problem HJ . I have got a couple of dead engines in the workshop. Give me until Monday and I will get one off for you. Can you arrange to get it picked up by Shipley or Parcel Monkey or a carrier of your choice ? I will weigh it and let you know what it is, unless you already have a idea what it is .

If you give me a ring on 07863030309 we can sort out an a favourable price as I don't want to discuss that on open Forum.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:00 am

LOGAN ? Ah , I comprehend now. Mind you its only old Farts like me and thee that would remember the Hannah-Barbarra Cartoons of Yogi Bear and Boo-Boo isn't it Logi ?

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:02 am

I had no idea what they were on about, so I just kept quiet!

Turns out they have bought another cylinder head this afternoon, but thanks for the offer.

Had a guy ringing me earlier for some engine mounts, but sent them to Dave up north.

Fancy selling parts or are you just a hoarder?
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:15 am

Just had a thought HJ. It is a 1300 you are talking about I hope cos looking at the picture it looks a bit short. Is the other bit still in the head ? If it is a 3cyl you need then I am afraid I cant help. Really hope for your friends sake its a 4cyl. sunny bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:16 am

Yes, both the cams are from a 1300, but they have been "mechanically shortened" Laughing
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:11 am

The answer to both those questions is yes HJ. I tend to hang for my own trucks to: bumpers, front and rear lights, starters, radiators. door handles etc., all the regular damageable parts.

I have got plenty of grilles, interior parts (not door panels -- hens teeth ) window winders, steering columns,servos, master cylinders, seat belts and stalks, a 1400 Diesel head + plus starter and gearbox, doors, side-doors, 11 sets of dropsides ( 4 new sets ) low mileage gearboxes ( 9000 miles and 21000 miles, 9000 mile axle, lots of fuel injection manifold bits. etc etc.
Oh yes and a blue Longbed/Widebody Piagio Porter bed and sides.

Always give me a ring if you are stuck though. I dont at the moment want to go too mad selling stuff but like you like to help folk if I can. I am planning later this year to break more vehicles and Ebay the parts and make a small business out of it --- if my Handyman Business allows me more time that is.

As this is only a hobby I may not be able to send bits off straight away especially if it is still on a vehicle .

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down