Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Hijet issues

4 posters

Go down

General Hijet issues Empty General Hijet issues

Post by crikeemikee Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:28 pm

Hi all, rather than posting a whole load of different threads for different issues I thought I would just stick them all in one!
I have just bought a 993cc 1996 Hijet EFI. It is literally the best thing and I love it already, but I print tshirts for a living and know absolutely nothing about cars! So here is a list of all the problems and if anyone has any advice or recommendations that would be greatly appreciated!

1. Steering wheel is on the piss, like if your handlebars are wonky on a push bike!
2. Speedo flicks all over the place and doesnt settle.
3. There is no light behind the speedo/dash so in the dark I can't see anything on there!
4. Sunroof is leaking (I've already read a post about this so will try and fix that.)
5. Passenger sliding door comes off the rails so is unusable. Top rail is dented and damaged so needs replacing?
6. Some of the seals are damaged/leaking so need replacing.
7. Drivers side and boot door panels are missing.
8. Temp gauge sits on cold and doesn't move. Should that worry me?!

Other than that it's a beauty, drives fine! I plan on doing it up a bit, maybe getting some wider wheels for stability then using it to drive my band around in! Smile I'll put some pics up once I'm allowed and not such a newbie! Thanks!!

crikeemikee

http://www.vinosangre.co.uk

Back to top Go down

General Hijet issues Empty Re: General Hijet issues

Post by PFM Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:50 pm

Welcome Mikee, you'll get several replies but our resident expert is on holiday in France I think so his posts are a bit spasmodic which is fair enough. In the meantime I'll give you my humble contribution:

1. Gently lever off horn-push, undo steering-wheel nut and wheel, reassemble in correct position (making sure wheels are straight). Probably worth getting the tracking checked first though - it can cause a fair misalignment.
2. Lubricate cable having pulled speedo housing forward.
3. Do the bulbs behind the heater controls work? If so, it's probably dim bulbs on the dials, so replace while doing 2 above. If not, maybe a fuse.
4. You know what to do.
5. Probably, if it comes off where the rail is damaged.
6. Probably.
7. Replace them.
8. Depends - if it stays on cold when the engine is warm enough that the radiator fan comes on, then yes. Probably a duff sendor or disconnected wire. If it comes up a little then it's probably OK. One of mine only comes up when really warm, the other sits about half-way when warm.

Why buy a van if you're in a band? You know you'll be the one to lug the PA, drums, lights etc for every gig! (I had 10 years of that, just because I had a van for work!)

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by crikeemikee Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:32 am

Thanks for the quick reply! In response, the bulbs behind the heater do not work either so it must be a fuse. And the temp gauge doesn't/hasn't moved at all. I'll check all the connections when I check the bulbs and move the speedo housing! And it's a lost cause... my bandmates are rubbish and I always end up driving van or no van!

crikeemikee

http://www.vinosangre.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:53 am

Welcome to the joys of Hijets. Theres never a time when something doesnt need fixed Wink
Dash lights will be crap even if they work.
But being a Hijet, the temp guage is REALLY important. Make that the priority.
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Black Van Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:00 am

Funnily enough I've never had a problem with my dash lights, they've always worked fine and been bright enough for me to see what I'm doing. Temp on the other hand...

Little Black Van
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:20 am

Hmmm? Both my vans are really dim. Maybe its my eyesight...... Wink
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Black Van Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:21 am

Maybe, I just know that mine work good. Smile The paint flakes off and catches the speedo needle quite often though.

Little Black Van
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:27 am

I have one van with dim dials one and one with bright ones. I know the bulbs in the dim one are original, so I guess it's not bad for 18 years service!

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down