Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aircraft Mechanic with a Hijet, ohh the possibilities!!!!

5 posters

Go down

Aircraft Mechanic with a Hijet, ohh the possibilities!!!! Empty Aircraft Mechanic with a Hijet, ohh the possibilities!!!!

Post by RobRoy1975 Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:27 pm

Hi all, Firstly I'm a newbie and hijet virgin until this week, when I purchased my first hijet and drove it in a 'wunner' over 500 miles from the south coast all the way up to not so sunny Ayrshire. I'm an aircraft mechanic not a car mechanic so I'm after plenty of advise please in sorting out its wee problems.

Okay problems I've encountered so far along with those I was initially aware of are as follows;

1. Speedometer needle bounces like a kid on a spacehopper going down the dunes at Irvine beach park (until it gets to 40mph then it behaves). Is this just a simple cable replacement job?

2. Odometer works but VERY slow and inaccurate, is this down to the possible 'gubbed' cable?

3. Temperature gauge is intermittent comes on shows medium running temperature then gauge stops working again (oil and water are spot on so no overheating problems).

4. Fuel gauge doesn't work at all, could this be a bad earth or is it more likely a faulty fuel sender needing replaced?

5. On about 5/6 occassions driving home, and all at different speeds, the engine seem to stop and come back on again in a split second as if its not getting fuel, this would happen up to a dozen times on each occassion then the fault would stop and the wee van would go back to running great again. Now before I go delving too deep, other than the fuel filter, whats best to check for first?

6. The dash lights are virtually non existent, even when it was pitch black outside it was very difficult to see, is this common, if so other than the obvious checking all bulbs are servicable, how can I make the dash brighter?

I wonder if my employers would mindme taking the flight deck out a boeing 737-800 series and fitting in ma van, noo theres an idea!!!

Cheers,

Roy

RobRoy1975

Back to top Go down

Aircraft Mechanic with a Hijet, ohh the possibilities!!!! Empty Re: Aircraft Mechanic with a Hijet, ohh the possibilities!!!!

Post by Logi Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:43 pm

Welcome, what, Ayrshire's no sunny? sunny Smile

Mine's has a jumpy speedo too, prob cable related
Dash lights are shite
More folk will be along shortly to help cheers
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Aircraft Mechanic with a Hijet, ohh the possibilities!!!! Empty Re: Aircraft Mechanic with a Hijet, ohh the possibilities!!!!

Post by rich the mechanic Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:59 pm

Hi and welcome

RobRoy1975 wrote:

1. Speedometer needle bounces like a kid on a spacehopper going down the dunes at Irvine beach park (until it gets to 40mph then it behaves). Is this just a simple cable replacement job? This is normal

2. Odometer works but VERY slow and inaccurate, is this down to the possible 'gubbed' cable? This is normal

3. Temperature gauge is intermittent comes on shows medium running temperature then gauge stops working again (oil and water are spot on so no overheating problems). Could be loose wire or loose sensor

4. Fuel gauge doesn't work at all, could this be a bad earth or is it more likely a faulty fuel sender needing replaced? prob take fuel tank out and go float fishing

5. On about 5/6 occassions driving home, and all at different speeds, the engine seem to stop and come back on again in a split second as if its not getting fuel, this would happen up to a dozen times on each occassion then the fault would stop and the wee van would go back to running great again. Now before I go delving too deep, other than the fuel filter, whats best to check for first? Fuel pump while sorting fuel gauge there is a filter on the pick up I think/ loose wires

6. The dash lights are virtually non existent, even when it was pitch black outside it was very difficult to see, is this common, if so other than the obvious checking all bulbs are servicable, how can I make the dash brighter? This is normal get white dash kit that some day I will get sorted as I need to do mine as first test has faded in a year.

I wonder if my employers would mindme taking the flight deck out a boeing 737-800 series and fitting in ma van, noo theres an idea!!! sounds good to me

Cheers,

Roy

Hope that helps and I'm sure someone else will point you to the relevant topics for the various know probs glad you like it.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:20 pm

RobRoy1975 wrote:1. Speedometer needle bounces like a kid on a spacehopper going down the dunes at Irvine beach park (until it gets to 40mph then it behaves). Is this just a simple cable replacement job? 2. Odometer works but VERY slow and inaccurate, is this down to the possible 'gubbed' cable?

Cables go bad, so if you slip the inner out you can clean it up and give it a good lubing. Bet it will be sweet
RobRoy1975 wrote:
3. Temperature gauge is intermittent comes on shows medium running temperature then gauge stops working again (oil and water are spot on so no overheating problems).
Sounds like the sensor and the gauge work so it could be just the wiring, pretty easy to test out. Might just be the connector on the gearbox end of the cylinder head.
RobRoy1975 wrote:
4. Fuel gauge doesn't work at all, could this be a bad earth or is it more likely a faulty fuel sender needing replaced?
Very common! Play the game! There is normally a fuel light and a fuel gauge. If neither work then the float has most likely fell out the bottom of the tube - read this https://hijet.forumotion.com/t1101-faulty-fuel-gage-petrol-tank-wires#9496
RobRoy1975 wrote:
5. On about 5/6 occassions driving home, and all at different speeds, the engine seem to stop and come back on again in a split second as if its not getting fuel, this would happen up to a dozen times on each occassion then the fault would stop and the wee van would go back to running great again. Now before I go delving too deep, other than the fuel filter, whats best to check for first?
Does the engine warning light not come on when the powers gone, but then come on as soon as it springs to life? Check the two little wires that go to the live terminal on the battery, bet they fall off if you pull them or look suspect.
RobRoy1975 wrote:
6. The dash lights are virtually non existent, even when it was pitch black outside it was very difficult to see, is this common, if so other than the obvious checking all bulbs are servicable, how can I make the dash brighter?
Loads of your bulbs have probably failed, but you'll need to pull the dash out to get to the speedo cable anyway, which is a 5 minute job max!
RobRoy1975 wrote:
I wonder if my employers would mindme taking the flight deck out a boeing 737-800 series and fitting in ma van, noo theres an idea!!!
They fly pretty crap in a side wind mate - the Hijet that is Laughing
RobRoy1975 wrote:
Cheers,

Roy

Welcome, Good luck, and Best Regards,

Matt
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:17 pm

If it is a 993cc they don't have a low fuel light
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by RobRoy1975 Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:24 pm

Hi all, thanks for the response.

Just to clear some things up its a 2002 1.3ltr EFI LPG.

When the engine 'cuts' out at speed, no dash warning lights appear or light up at all, I know all warning light bulbs are all working from when you turn the ignition key so i don't think this is an electical fault most likely to do with fuel?

Trying to download the manual on here but the link gets lost half way through the download, dying to see some diagrams to get to work fixing the wee beauty, the naivity of an aircraft mechanic lol.

Hope to start work next weekend on the this first list of jobs so thanks so far for everyones input Wink

RobRoy1975

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:00 pm

Get some piccies up so i can look out for you cyclops
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:19 am

try downloading them off my site:- http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk/manuals-downloads/
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:21 am

and check those two power wires in the boot as it's been one of the most engine cutting out faults we've had on this forum in the last 4 years.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:46 am

Hi there
Mine used to have problems like point 5, like it had had run out of fuel, then kinda kicked in again and kept going, didn't have engine light come on at same time, although it did come on at other times! turned out to be wiring behind the passenger seat, I didn't do that job so can't be more precise but with the panel off the wiring is just there so presumably it should be obvious if its worn or got loose connections

Oh, and hope everyone had a good Xmas and new year. :-)
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:57 am

To you too daisy cheers
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down