Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worst MOT fail ever!

4 posters

Go down

Worst MOT fail ever! Empty Worst MOT fail ever!

Post by PFM Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:40 pm

Well, my worst one anyway. OK, I knew the tailpipe wasn't connected to the back box and a wiper rubber needed replacing, and the horn worked for me even though it didn't for the tester! But also got:
1) O/S/F suspension component mounting prescribed area severely distorted affraid - HTF did that happen?
2) N/S/R spring mounting prescribed area excessively corroded - OK, par for the course I guess
3) O/S/F inner lower suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated - I presumed this was the lower swivel until I read it again, not sure what they're referring to now
But it also failed on the emissions test - apparently they had 3 red lights on the first test, so held the revs at 3,000 for a bit, then it boiled. Not sure why, as I checked the rad was full just before I took it in.

So..... how much would the detached tail pipe affect the test (I'm presuming they put the tube into the silencer)? Also, I was shocked to discover just now that it probably hasn't had an oil change for Embarassed 6 years/21,500 miles Embarassed so how much difference would that make and would you agree it would be sensible to flush it first or might that open other worm cans (and leaking seals/rings?) Had been thinking of doing it anyway as it's been sounding a bit 'tappety' lately when revved which is most unusual.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Worst MOT fail ever! Empty Re: Worst MOT fail ever!

Post by Logi Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:58 pm

Well, look on the bright side, mine passed on Saturday..... Wink

TBH i reckon emissions are a bit down the worry list Crying or Very sad

Need pics of your distortion too. Shocked
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:41 pm

Drove 1.5 miles today and suddenly noticed temp gauge in the red - rad had sprung a leak which accounts for boiling on the emissions test. Queried the distortion as I couldn't see anything out of shape and was told it should have read 'excessively corroded', close to it on the drop-down menu apparently - so that's just welding then.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:48 am

OK, nearly all done except the new lower suspension arm I bought for £44 (Firstline FCA 6531) has a taper-pin fitting onto the hub and mine has a straight pin with a locking bolt going across it. Am being quoted silly money for a Blueprint ADD68620C arm which should be the right one - any ideas where to get one cheaper?

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:27 pm

Loads on Ebay. Worth asking the sellers about fitment?
Looking up the part no I see what you mean price wise. Daihatsu stuff is rediculously dear Sad
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:46 pm

I might be able to do you a second hand wishbone/arm if you want one?
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:08 am

I'm a bit wary of something like that s/h, but if the bush and joint are good enough to pass the MOT there's no real reason why not. Am up against it time-wise though, so am going to take a deep breath and order today so it can be fitted tomorrow or Sat morning.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:42 pm

Well finally got the van back late afternoon, all good except the exhaust is a tad rattly. Just totting up the costs.......Mot £54, Labour (including welding) £201, suspension arm £130, exhaust £60ish - with VAT it tops £500 plus the rad and service bits - around £700 all in affraid

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:14 pm

It had better be a bloody clean rot free hijet to spend that sort of purse on it, either that or your love it very much!
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:59 pm

PFM wrote:Well finally got the van back late afternoon, all good except the exhaust is a tad rattly. Just totting up the costs.......Mot £54, Labour (including welding) £201, suspension arm £130, exhaust £60ish - with VAT it tops £500 plus the rad and service bits - around £700 all in affraid

Foly Huck Batman!!!!!!!!! affraid

Thats dedication cheers
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:54 pm

Well, it's neither clean or rot-free but you're right, HJ. I've had it since 1995 and driven it virtually daily for 17.5 years. If I found another jet for £700 (unlikely round here) I'd probably still have to spend more on it.

Must admit that I might have thought twice about having it all done if I'd known at the outset that the suspension arm would cost £100 more than the Frontline one, but by the time I knew that everything else had been done.

Sorted the exhaust rattle though, pin wasn't pushed sufficiently through the rear mounting and it was knocking against the rear spring hanger.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:40 pm

PFM wrote:I've had it since 1995 and driven it virtually daily for 17.5 years.

That's one serious long term relationship, I've only had a driving licence coming up for 13 years now Embarassed

Better the devil you know than the devil you don't.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by 8bit-ash Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:51 am

PFM wrote:I've had it since 1995 and driven it virtually daily for 17.5 years.

You should get on the Blower to Guinness.
8bit-ash
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down