Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thwarted by sliding door handle MOT fail

2 posters

Go down

Thwarted by sliding door handle MOT fail Empty Thwarted by sliding door handle MOT fail

Post by andy pyke Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:08 pm

This is very annoying. I have changed sliding door handles 4 times over three different Hijets and managed to make them work again every time.

This time, However, I have failed. Just seems that there isn't enough movement to sufficiently pull the cable to release the mechanism.   In the picture below, the rod from the outer handle mechanism goes through the plastic sheath and it is that mechanism that moves to pull the release cable. For some reason, the plastic sheath sits in a approx 1cm long "hole" and it is the fact that the slack is taken up in moving it along that "hole" that means it doesn't have enough overall movement to release the catch.

The outer door handle seems free enough to move through it's full range (I bent the door in behind it rather than shave plastic off at the weak spot).

This has caused me an MOT failure. I have a re-test tomorrow but having spent a couple of hours fiddling, I'm not making any progress.

Has anyone else had this and solved it without engineering up their own solution?

Many thanks!

Thwarted by sliding door handle MOT fail 20170803_121915

andy pyke
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Thwarted by sliding door handle MOT fail Empty Re: Thwarted by sliding door handle MOT fail

Post by andy pyke Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:32 pm

Shocked Sad

And to make things worse...I've now dropped the stupid plastic sheathe down inside the door and it is lost for ever unless I take an angle grinder and cut the door open in anger!

FFS!

andy pyke
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Thwarted by sliding door handle MOT fail Empty Re: Thwarted by sliding door handle MOT fail

Post by andy pyke Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:05 pm

And just to cap it all, I've now pulled out the pin that pokes to the outside and is completely inaccessible to put back.

I think I need a complete new door Rolling Eyes

andy pyke
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:09 pm

Take the seats out?
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down