Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possibly the worst hijet I've been to look at yet!

2 posters

Go down

Possibly the worst hijet I've been to look at yet! Empty Possibly the worst hijet I've been to look at yet!

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:22 pm

I have to get this off my chest as i'm sitting here shell shocked at what some people will try and pull.

Anyway I've been tyre kicking again this evening, responding to communication of a late 90's hijet pickup 1.3 in white, near manchester.

Been off the road for a few years, spares or repairs. few hundred quid - well worth a look I thought.

The chassis just behind the cab has been chopped with a gas axe badly, then the back end of the chassis from a different off white-ish colour pickup has been put next to it then random bits of steel stick welded to patch over the join. Its two vans in one!!

How dodgy? Is it half stollen? Christ knows, they hadn't even seam welded or aligned it in any way, it was bent at a bannana!! but safe to say I got away from there asap, without saying too much. I prey to my gods that some clueless young sweat heart doesn't buy it and it breaks in half at 60mpg. Death trap.

If it has ever had an MOT like that, the garage needs reporting to VOSA, its a really bad accident waiting to happen.

Last edited by HighlyJetted on Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:08 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : exact details removed to not get overly involved)
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Possibly the worst hijet I've been to look at yet! Empty Re: Possibly the worst hijet I've been to look at yet!

Post by rich the mechanic Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:25 pm

If you have the reg then report it as dodgy even if it's just to crime stoppers! Those of us that care how we chop things about get a bad name from stuff like that.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Possibly the worst hijet I've been to look at yet! Empty Re: Possibly the worst hijet I've been to look at yet!

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:14 pm

I thought about that, but the 'lovely' looking guys in the yard know my face, car and telephone number.

I actually got my phone out to take a picture, but I thought, if these boys are bonkers enough to try this crap what else would they do?

If the police/dvla went sniffing around, last thing I want is a car full of crazy heads at my front door on a return payback visit.

I'm just a sad little guy wanting to build a mad box of frogs van, i'm not here to save the world. I truly wish I could though.

From as early as I can remember I grew up in my dads land rover garage business, we did genuine brand new half chassis replacements etc. So i'm with you all the way. Its peoples lives your playing with, and not just the people in the chopped one. Things have to be 100% straight, structural, and lastly - well presented too.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:23 pm

Here here I've always been in the motor trade mainly bikes though and when we had crashed bikes and chassis changes to make Harley always had the original head stocks back so the frame was out of use, we saved one that weren't to bad and sent it off to a custom frame maker mate of the head tech who I found out later learned his trade at the firm I'm with now and he made a new head stock up and straightened the frame and welded it all in with gussets and more rake for our drag bike it was the only bent bike we ever touched.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down