Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Snow driving

5 posters

Go down

Snow driving Empty Snow driving

Post by leopard_pagan Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:12 pm

so how many of you have been having fun in the snow?
skidded a couple of times now, thankfully i can feel it go so i can correct it quick enough.

:0)
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Snow driving Empty Re: Snow driving

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:05 pm

I was wondering about the other Jetters, this is my second hijet winter now. I find the hardest drive is down the un-gritted back roads, especially the ones that have a hump in the middle. When they are heavily iced over in the mornings keeping the van pointing the right way is seriously challenging!

Although I like to drift mine, come this time of year there isn't enough grip to control the slide. Keep safe Jetters.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:02 pm

last winter i drove in snow once, but it was snow drifts, nothing like the last 2 days. thankfully i live in the flattest part of the UK so hills arent too much of an issue!
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:19 pm

Have you noticed the sheer furious power the heaters in the Jets pump out?
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:09 am

lol.. i have mine set on 2 and windscreen. i dont feel any "warmth" until i get to work 12 miles on!
last few days i switched it to screen/feet as my toes were getting cold! ... toes still getting cold as the blower hits my shin!

set the blower any higher and it sounds like its about to take off.. lol
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:33 pm

The cover behind the drivers headlight (where you change the bulb) is loose on mine so I have cold air blowing in straight from the road. Thinking about that now I might fix it today, before I end up with balls like a brass monkey.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by jetex Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:48 pm

I don't have a thermostat in mine due to overheating problems, so the temperature guage barely gets off cold ( unless idling in traffic when it gets to mid-way, then the fan cuts in). Consequently, driving the van in this weather is a no no, unless I need it to move something. Luckily, I do have a car as well, so I use that.

jetex
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:38 am

Yesterday I deceided to keep myself warm! A peice of fabric hung over the first headlining hoop beind the sunroof to separate the cab off from the back of the van has ade a huge difference. The cab now gets so warm you have to turn the heater off! Check me out living the life of luxury.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:04 pm

ya know... i had thought about making something to enclose the cab from the back.. but with a window cut so i can see out the back! lol.......
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by large519 Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:03 am

I have to be honest, usually when the weather turns bad, I could've been one of the safest drivers on the road, but since owning my jet, it's great fun, coz it's so light and rear wheel drive, the temptation to tether the throttle and swing the ass end round a corner is too much to handle...in the safest way possible of course, haha!!
large519
large519
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:23 am

Hi all. What great fun ive been having in the little Jet.

The snow is great, I took my 9yr old down to the local Bq car park early yesteday and we had a blast. I was getting some poper Tokyo Drifting in and some great hbrake turns. It felt as though i was 18 again!!! There was a guy out walking his dog and he stopped and watched for a while he was laughing so I think he enjoyed it too.

We have named our Hijet "Pug" after the breed of dog and its a P reg. Being a van and only having 2 seats the kids fight over who gets to come out with me when i go out for stuff, most of which are made up excuses for me to take it out for a spin.

Merry Christmas to all and keep safe while your out and about.

Cheers
J.

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:15 pm

Get in there boys! Just watch for kerbs, makes a right mess of the bodyshell if you hit them side on with a wheel.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by bones 851 Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:20 am

Hi folks, its got grim up north, the snow has finally arrived and drifting in the jet has been the best fun i have had in ages. Went out today and felt very proud, driving along the road and came to a slightly small hill near my home , the gritters had not been there as such and noted a very big 4 wheel drive ( i noted the merc sign on the back) struggling to get up, well did my best low gear low revs and yes..... i passed the bloody big rig and a astra police car,, ha ha should have seen there face's unbeliveable !!!!, At least the police man gave a rare smile and a wave .Thats made my christmas..... MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL THE JET LOVERS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR... BONES 851 Laughing
bones 851
bones 851
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:27 am

Kodak moment.
Had a 1920's miniature piano in mine few days ago! worth £4K apparently.
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:26 am

Top skills bones, the look on their faces must have been corking! Good driving skills.

I've got a bandsaw in the back of mine, a christmas present for my dad. I drove all the way from crewe to jordie land to collect it, over 3 hours each way, in the snow and sleet. The motorway was a slush pit and those truck wheels looked damn scary in the little hijet.

I think my hijet behaves itself on the snow and ice better with the 65kg bandsaw over the back axle, seems to give it a bit more grip.

Merry Christmas to All Hijet Folk, may you feast till you wont fit behind the wheel.

Miniature Piano? Did you also have a Miniture Penis to sit and play it Smile
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:16 pm

no idea what they had back in the 20's.. lol
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin