Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carb gasket kit 993cc

5 posters

Go down

Carb gasket kit  993cc Empty Carb gasket kit 993cc

Post by Orangejuice43 Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:13 pm

Hello!

I've been having trouble with my Hijet not idling... Long story short, I've taken the carb off for a clean and rebuild.

Problem is, I can't for the life of me find anywhere or anyone that has supply of gaskets and diaphragms (aside from a company in the USA who don't ship here) so I can put the carb back together knowing it's got nice fresh bits on. Does anyone know where I should be looking?

Thank you in advance,

Orangejuice43

Back to top Go down

Carb gasket kit  993cc Empty Re: Carb gasket kit 993cc

Post by normskey Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:39 pm

Yo! I have just cleaned my intake/throttle assembly (Mine is the 1.0i!) and used Victor-Reinz Reinzosil Instant Gasket Silicone It's not like any silicone I have ever used before.... when it cures its more like rubber, great stuff. Put it on as tidily as you can so as not to get any spill etc getting into the carb As for diaphragms, no idea sorry....

Cheers...

normskey

Back to top Go down

Post by vonThinkpadstein Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:17 pm

Hello,

I also wanted to rebuild the carburator of my '95 carb fed 993 Hijet.

At the moment i'm almost done rebuilding my carb.
My van suffers choke issues caused by a sticking choke plate/shaft > as in max reving no choke adjustment possible.
Even after cleaning it with solvent, replacing all vacuum hoses and clips and greasing the choke mechanism it still got stuck. In the end, after removing the airfilter assembly, it came clear the shaft holding the choke plate
is worn or slightly bended, which causes this lock up.

Taking the carb apart to invest further led me on a search for a carburator repair kit.
Most kits found online are mend for USA hijets which very often only have a small 600cc engine.
The carbs they use are not the same as the ones used in our vans.

In the end, I discovered the solution in the form of a suzuki SJ410/410 carburator repair kit.
Suzuki SJ410/410 (F10A) models are also carburator fed and share the same carburator brand, namely AISAN.
Furthermore they share almost 80% of the (internal) parts of a hijet 993 carb!
That goes for gaskets, diaphragm gasket(s), springs, small washers, clips, etc as well.

Both carbs share the same internal layout (single sidedraft carburators are what they called) with the hijet differing beacuse it is vacuum operated.
The suzuki carb works just plain old school style, like a bike engine carburator.
They share the same inlet/outlet diameter (= 32mm). Sadly the Suzuki carburator is no bolt-on swap replacement
for the hijet carburator. The suzuki carb flange which bolt to the inlet manifold, slighty outlines the hijet one.
Also the center mixture carb output does not line with that of the hijet inlet manifold.
Possible sollution is to make a adapter for it, perhaps I will look into this in the future.

So, I ordered this kit. Look on Ebay, mine cost about +/- €55.
The one you need is this one:

APCO Auto parts (made in Japan)
Carburator repair kit
Suzuki SJ410/410 (F10A engine)
13200-80000/20/40

Because the hijet is 993 cc and the suzuki F10A engine is 1000cc (actually 1024cc), I re-used the hijet
valve's and jets after cleaning and inspecting them on wear/tear.
It's probably save to use the valve's and jets from the suzuki because they don't differ
that much on size and diameter > Both engine only differ +/- 7cc in grand total.

The only thing holding me back to do so is the fact our little engines have 3 cillinders
while the suzuki SJ410/410 (F10A engine) has 4 cillinders.
I read somewere that this might lead to mixture issues regarding the filling rate per cillinder
especially running on high rpm. But perhaps this is solved by adjusting the carburator, set it to a bit richer fuel mixture or so.
I still need to experiment with this. To be clear I'm not a carb tech guru.

Hope this helps you a bit further.
vonThinkpadstein
vonThinkpadstein

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:49 pm

vonThinkpadstein wrote:
APCO Auto parts (made in Japan)
Carburator repair kit
Suzuki SJ410/410 (F10A engine)
13200-80000/20/40

cheers cheers cheers cheers

I did look briefly to see what carb they have but its nothing I know about.

Great research, great post !!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carburetor-Gasket-Jet-Nozzle-Repair-Kit-Japan-Suzuki-Samurai-Santana-1-0-SJ410/164077424210?epid=18021977805&hash=item2633c6ce52:g:xxIAAOSwnpleQs77
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Orangejuice43 Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:14 am

Really amazing work! Spot on. Thank you very much.

Orangejuice43

Back to top Go down

Post by vonThinkpadstein Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:41 am

You're welcome.

Always nice to help a fellow "carb powered" hijet owner.
I'm under the impression carburator fed hijets are quit rare on the hijet.motion forum.
Most of them are 1.0i or 1.3i.

I took me some digging to get all this information.
Long story short, I got really lucky when a old cheap Suzuki SJ410 carb turned up on a online local marketplace.
Got it vey cheap and used it for measurements & dimensions and comparison regarding the hijet carb.
That's were i got confirmation they were almost 80% alike.

Please do pay attention to the following:

The suzuki repair kit holds 2 gaskets which are used for the inlet manifold & insulator(= black "plastic" that sits between carb and inlet manifold).
These 2 gaskets can't be used on a hijet. This because the suzi main carb output is centered but the hijet's just sits off center.
Solution: Create your own by getting some gasket paper online.

The hijet carb has a small regulator screw on top (incapsulated by aluminium ring & temper proof > location right on top of the flange that bolds to the inlet manifold).
The repair kit holds a full replacement for this, including adjustment screw, spring, etc.
To keep things save regarding MOT you can leave the original regulator.
If you happen to have a workshop manual (or better, a workshop CB41 engine manual, which I have) you could
try to replace this regulator screw with the one from the kit. Aftewards you can use the manual to set it
to its "default" position. To make it 100% MOT proof I would visit my local garage and ask them to measure
the exhaust output & fine tune using the new regulator screw.

All in all the Suzuki carb holds a lot of interchangable parts.
Besides that, it (as in OEM part nr.) can be used to source out/track & trace possible alternative replacement carb parts online, which can be used in our vans.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
I'm not really an active forum member but i visit the hijet forum regular on a weekly bases.

Cheers.
vonThinkpadstein
vonThinkpadstein

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:23 pm

Nice one indeed! Yes, most Hijets that have graced these pages have been injection ones.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down