Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hijet 03 1.3 lpg/petrol stopped running on petrol ?

3 posters

Go down

Hijet 03 1.3 lpg/petrol stopped running on petrol ? Empty Hijet 03 1.3 lpg/petrol stopped running on petrol ?

Post by Carpetcleanvan Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:47 pm

Help and advice needed for a self check
The old girl from 03 although low milage has spat the dummy and "suddenly stopped running on petrol " and wont run on petrol at all.

Have no idea why and was hopeful its possibly something simple that I could check first before using a garage .

Unfortunately electrics are not me having seen the posts on here requiring some electrical knowledge..

I dont have a driveway or home garage its parked on a busy london street but as its running on LPG ok for now ....times on my side so I could possibly check a few simple things one by one over the spring.

So far running on LPG is ok although it starts only after 4-5 trys ....not first time like it usually does. I must run it regularly every two/three/ days or the battery drops its charge .

Only other issue recently is this 2 yr old 45ah Bosch battery from Euro car parts going flat during the cold spell in feb which required removal and charging ....I think its just about done .
I will replace it this summer.

Does anyone have any ideas of whats needed in order of simple checks to get her running on petrol without a garage bill?

I sniffed around the fuses but need to double check them all again and perhaps other unknown  fuses that are not in sight.
Woody would probably know this one but he seems to have retired so I wont bother him yet or perhaps at all .

Last edited by Carpetcleanvan on Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Carpetcleanvan
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Hijet 03 1.3 lpg/petrol stopped running on petrol ? Empty Re: Hijet 03 1.3 lpg/petrol stopped running on petrol ?

Post by Roddy Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:47 am

I can't help I'm afraid, but I recently bought an 03 on petrol/LPG. I can find no switches or controls and have no idea how to switch between the two fuels. I think I shall be ending a garage to check it all out for me.
Good luck with your own problem.

Roddy
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Hijet 03 1.3 lpg/petrol stopped running on petrol ? Empty Re: Hijet 03 1.3 lpg/petrol stopped running on petrol ?

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:51 am

Put a screwdriver on an injector and listen to it tick with your ear on the screwdriver, then you know the electronics are firing the injectors.

Obviously your ignition system is working, thus it runs on gas.

If its ultra low mileage, and it gets run on gas quite a bit, then the fuel tank will be past its sell by date...This is just a guess... but see if you have any fuel pressure by removing a fuel pipe to the fuel rail. More than likely the tank will be rusty inside, which has stopped the fuel pump from working.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Carpetcleanvan Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:15 am

The fuel filter seems like it might be a diy fix ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmjY97GLGcM

If so I thought changing that might be first and  easy enough if the pump isnt completely blocked up as well ?
You didnt mention the fuel filter so does that mean its unlikely the filter and more likely the pump ?

Its about 51000 miles on the clock and runs on gas all the time, petrol is a backup till I find a LPG station which are few and far between .
I have always had some petrol in the tank generally about a quarter or sometimes less .
The petrol fuel gauge after a service in 2017 did start playing up ie.working not working etc

Carpetcleanvan
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:53 pm

The fuel filters on early ones are a nightmare, the metals screw fittings on both ends are always corroded to death, and normally changing the filter results in replumbing fuel lines in flexible pipe.
That one in the video is not how they normally are fitted on a pre 2005 Hijet... that video looks like a late model Piaggio Porter.

But hell, don't do the injector test or check for fuel pressure, which is free and easy.... jump into changing loads of parts and hoping for the best Wink
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Carpetcleanvan Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:04 pm

I read your advice and got it !
Wasnt disregarding the injector test or checking fuel pressure at all .

Bigger picture is I have to decide if too use the dealership where it was purchased as diy options are really very limited anyway .
Last time it went in I paid £1500 .
Woody helped with advice on the rusted octopus cooling pipe during that service when I was lucky to find one on ebay .

I did wonder why you didnt mention the fuel filter though !

Reality it sounds like this job could mean another big bill if the garage messes up fragile rusted fuel system parts some which you cant buy now except via the used market.

The you tube clip was a porter I believe mines a 03 .

Last edited by Carpetcleanvan on Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Carpetcleanvan
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:32 pm

I would stay far far far away from any piaggio/daihatsu dealership. They will just mug you.

You would just fit a universal fuel filter anyway, but a dealer wouldn't.

Can you hear the fuel pump run when you turn the key on like they always do?
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Carpetcleanvan Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:42 pm

I will have to look at Highlyjetted,s points of analysis this weekend as I have a few other things pressing .
In hindsight I wish I had got down in the pit checking the pump filter and lines when it went over the pit at my MOT centre recently .
That pit would be a luxary .

Carpetcleanvan
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Carpetcleanvan Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:49 pm

https://i.servimg.com/u/f84/19/39/12/77/van_fu10.jpg
https://i.servimg.com/u/f84/19/39/12/77/van_fu10.jpg

Can someone advise on the linked photos on a past fuel pump thread by wrightgeordie.

The photo shows two blue 15 amp fuses in a block which I believe are EFI 1 AND EFI 2 fuses and also two orange fittings under the glovebox of Wrightgeordies 2002 ? van.

Unless Im seeing it or reading it wrong ?
(Also what are the two orange fittings does anyone know?)

I assume one of the blue 15amp fuses is the fuel pump fuse.
Which I believe to be called EFI 1 or EFI 2 in the photo as thats what wrightgeordie is pointing out in his thread.

Looked a number of times under the glove box and Im starting to doubt my 03 van has this Double EFI 1 AND EFI 2  15amp fuse block for the fuel pump in the same area ?.
I just cant find the blue fuses... !

So either they are tucked up higher completely out of sight or Im looking in the wrong place ?

Are these EFI 1 and EFI 2 Fuse blocks normally easy to see or possibly in another area ?

Carpetcleanvan
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Carpetcleanvan Thu May 06, 2021 11:11 pm

Just to update on my van which suddenly stopped running on  petrol .

The van suddenly started running on petrol last bank holiday weekend !!!

No idea what the issue was (which is probably still present whatever it was.)

I never found the two 15amp blue fuses under the glove box but did give the loom a good rattle and shake looking for them.... that was about it  .
I checked the two fuse blocks under the steering column which didnt seem to help .

So I put 1/4 tank of unleaded in and will run it more often on petrol from now on vs LPG and see if and when it fails to run on petrol again.

Carpetcleanvan
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down