Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fitting a Tow Bar to pick-up

2 posters

Go down

Fitting a Tow Bar to pick-up Empty Fitting a Tow Bar to pick-up

Post by kernowjon01 Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:26 pm

Hi just thought I'd share this - I thought and have been told to fit a TowBar you need to remove the fuel tank - WRONG

I found these instructions by Witter - they know a thing or two about fitting towbars
https://www.pfjones.co.uk/witter/DH16.pdf

Then on Ebay I found 400mm Drill bits (in Imperial 16 inches long)!

It took 2 of us because the second person is responsible for checking - rechecking the drill is kept square to the chassis members - I bought 2 drill bits - 8mm for the pilot hole and 12mm for the bolt holes. Very pleased with the result - now my welder is making an extension to run under the well of the Romahome -.

Van owners Witter fitting instructions https://www.tadcomms.com/productpdfs/DH17.pdf

Jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Fitting a Tow Bar to pick-up Empty Re: Fitting a Tow Bar to pick-up

Post by buttondup Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:37 pm

That is great stuff.
Often wished I could get one on there but put off by technical challenges.
buttondup
buttondup
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by kernowjon01 Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:41 pm

It is simples - Look at the diagram - see the sideplate "C" clamp this to the outside of the chassis member - now you have the position of the bolt holes. I drilled through the outer side then using a small square the second person ensured the drill bit was square (at 90 degrees to the chassis member before i drilled through the inner edge of the box section.
You need a 2 speed drill running on low and I lashed some old oil over the bit to keep it cool!
In the case of the Romahome pod we then have to weld up a box section extension to clear the well of the pod.

Jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down