Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Hijet EFI 1996

3 posters

Go down

New Hijet EFI 1996  Empty New Hijet EFI 1996

Post by reddogfishman Tue May 15, 2018 3:33 pm

Hi all,

I have had a read through and some of my points may be repeats but hopefully someone can help.

So I have recently purchased a 1996 1L EFI Hijet. it has a number of superficial issues along with one major issue if anyone has experience with fixing any of the below problems or any general advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Firstly the big problem - From cold start the van takes a bit of time to warm up and begin to idol, whilst finding this point the revs regularly drop to low and the engine cuts out. This wasn't a huge issue but irritating however I have noticed that after running for anything over 20min if we stop for less than 10min the engine will not turn over again. The battery holds its charge fine as it has no issue turning over from cold starts (I have also double checked it with a meter) a family member has suggested it sounds as if the engine is flooding.

Small problems - The Sliding doors don't open from the outside , they run fine on the tracks but the outer handle is jammed.
- The back door lock is jammed is there a more common model of back door lock that I could possibly replace this with?
- The driver window doesn't run straight on its tracks I am having trouble getting to the pin which holds the handle in place in order to get the door panel off.

I understand the vague concepts of engines but I have no real experience working on cars unfortunately as any new cars have had to much electrics for me to get involved with.

Thank you in advanced for any specific or general advice for these vehicles.

Cheers

reddogfishman

Back to top Go down

New Hijet EFI 1996  Empty Re: New Hijet EFI 1996

Post by Raggy Tue May 15, 2018 8:10 pm

Welcome, firstly add your location to your profile info, you never know someone else with a hijet may live nearby who could help.
As for the problems:
Big Problem: No idea, does it cut out whilst driving or just not start up after a brief stop?

Small Problem 1 (Side Door): If handle is jammed, may be broken but first take the inside door panel off and see what happening when you pull the lever. Does the door unlock when you pull the door button up?

Small problem 2 (back door): See above. Similar locks are available from....another Hijet. There are plenty being broken on eBay or just put a wanted add on here or FB forums for hijets and mini trucks.

Small Problem 3 (Front window): probably come off it’s bottom mounting, so will need gluing back onto it with Polyeurothane adhesive (don’t bother with any other glue). Tiger Seal adhesive is a typical one, search ebay. Other than that may just be sticking in its runners, without seeing what it’s doing it’s difficult to say. Before you do that you will need to remove the window winder handle as you have found out is a tricky thing.
The trick to getting the handle off is having the right tool. You need something with a small hook or metal rod/strip with its end 3mm bent at 90degrees as it has to go between the handle and the door and hook the wire clip so that you can pull the clip back to release the handle. I will see if I can get some photos of the clip etc. DON NOT UNDERESTIMATE THESE CLIPS, THEY HAVE A LIFE OF THEIR OWN ONCE RELEASED AND CAN SPRING OUT SO FAST THEY DISSAPEAR INTO THE ETHER! Well maybe not the last bit but they do flick off and get lost if not careful (I know!) and they are not easy to come by.

Even better found a recent topic about the same thing. CLICK ME
Use the Advanced Search at the top of the forum to find more info.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by kernowjon01 Tue May 15, 2018 8:20 pm

The problem you describe - not turning over until it has cooled down - would appear to be either a partial seize - what is the longest continuous run you have undertaken?  
Or alternatively (and less expensive to fix) an electrical issue in the starter motor circuit.  (so think about this first) When It won't turn over can you hear the starter motor solenoid clicking? - If No it may be a faulty solenoid!  If yes then Try this.  Turn on the headlights you go to the front of the truck - get someone else to turn the key.  Do the headlights go dim when the key is turned? If Yes I think you are probably back to looking at a mechanical fault.  If they do not dim I would be looking at the starter motor.

Beware diagnosis from a distance is very difficult - but they are the lines I would be looking along.

The window winder removal - watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUzR5fEvs0E Instead of the cloth I use a cable-tie to push the clip back.
Jon
kernowjon01
kernowjon01
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggy Wed May 16, 2018 6:33 pm

For your big problem have a look at this link, it’s sounds similar to yours CLICK ME NOW
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down