Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

replacing fan belt on hijet

2 posters

Go down

replacing fan belt on hijet Empty replacing fan belt on hijet

Post by Gc24265 Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:34 pm

Hi Guys

looking for some advice from all you Daihatsu experts I have had the one and only squeaky fan belt recently Crying or Very sad I have purchased a new belt and made an attempt at the weekend to replace unfortunately I could not get the old one removed due to the lack of knowledge on how to move the alternator any advice would be grateful.... last resort I will take to the garage.

cheers
Bert Very Happy
Gc24265
Gc24265

Back to top Go down

replacing fan belt on hijet Empty Re: replacing fan belt on hijet

Post by Raggy Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:35 pm

Loosen the hinge bolts on the alternator then further on top there is a bolt that holds the tension (it clamps the alternator to a sliding bracket so it pivots on the hinge bolts) It should then be able to pivot and loosen the belt so you can swap it and re tighten it with tension on the belt. If you have loosened the top bolt (adjuster) probably just needs pivot bolts at bottom loosening a touch so it moves.
Raggy
Raggy
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

replacing fan belt on hijet Empty Fan belt

Post by Gc24265 Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:43 pm

Cheers Raggy I did loosen both these bolts on Saturday when I gave it a go but their didn't seem to be any movement could it be seized
Gc24265
Gc24265

Back to top Go down

Post by Gc24265 Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:03 pm

Hi Raggy 
Just read through your reply again is their more than one hinge bolt? As I only loosed one hinge bolt at the bottom of the alternator and removed the tension bolt but couldn't get any movement
Cheers
Bert
Gc24265
Gc24265

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:05 am

Yes only the one bottom bolt Bert. Just cut the fan belt off. If the bolt slackened off then a bit of WD40 and a bit of gentle persuasion is needed to push the Alternator backwards and forwards towards the nearside and back towards you on the offside of the van.

Once you have it loose put the new fan belt on and the bolt in the adjuster arm fitted, you will need to gently lever the alternator towards you with a large screwdriver, or flat bar, but don't force it too hard against the flimsy finned construction of the Alternator. The alloy breaks very easily.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gc24265 Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:10 am

Cheers Woodie I will give that a go later today.

cheers
Bert
Gc24265
Gc24265

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down