Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finally overheating

5 posters

Go down

Finally overheating Empty Finally overheating

Post by andy pyke Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:20 pm

This is my third Hijet and I've never had one overheat before so have always felt a bit....left out. Well, now I can report that I have joined the overheating club!

Went out and bought the new caps, did the watering can fill up and got water coming out everywhere before I put caps on and did stuff up.

However, this is where things differ to the way other people describe it. People talk about nipples. Now, I'm a great fan of nipples, but I can't see anything that vaguely represents a nipple in my van so I haven't had any bleeding nipples. When I refilled with coolant, it wasn't like there was actually any missing. When I took the caps off, there was collant right there coming out so I don't think I've got a big leak somewhere.

Anyway, refilled everything, and ran the engine which just ran straight up to hot in about 8-10 minutes. The fan didn't come on. It has a n override switch and that doesn't seem to work either. Do you think I have an electrical problem and have just (probably) introduced air into the system for no reason?

Where is the sensor that causes the fan to switch on under normal circumstances? Was really looking forward to a day out windsurfing tomorrow Sad

All and any advice truly appreciated, thankyou!

andy pyke
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Finally overheating Empty Re: Finally overheating

Post by andy pyke Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:23 pm

I should have said, mine is a 2002 1.3 LPG version....not the one in my profile picture which was my 2nd one.

andy pyke
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:34 pm

Could be the Thermostatic switch Andy which is on the Radcap pipe under the seat. Just follow the metal pipe down and you will find it. It is either that or the relay which is bolted onto the bodywork next to the bracket that secures the metal pipe close to the Radiator Cap.

I have done an article on fitting an override switch directly to the Fan Relay earlier this year. Piece of cake to do Andy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:35 pm

Oh yes. I have got both items in stock too.

Back to top Go down

Post by andy pyke Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:40 pm

I'll go and have a look right now Woodie, thanks.

andy pyke
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by andy pyke Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:45 pm

If the radcap pipe is the pipe with the radcap on it (logically), it doesn't have a part going down anywhere. It's a horizontal thing.

Finally overheating Gplus177710119

andy pyke
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by andy pyke Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:47 pm

This is the only electrical looking bits I can see below it

andy pyke
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by andy pyke Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:56 pm

Not this thing is it?

Finally overheating 2017%2B-%2B1

andy pyke
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by andy pyke Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:35 pm

There's no switches on the metal pipe from the rad cap that I can see. It dives down under the handbrake and heads forward from there.

andy pyke
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by buttondup Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:57 pm

Hi Andy, that picture is the electrical solenoid switch for the gas reducer. I had very similar problems to yours last November when after driving through some flood waters, I ended up with corroded contacts on the fan switch. I didn't notice the fan wasn't kicking in until it was too late. The van overheated in the middle of nowhere - boiling all the coolant into the header tank. I had to ramble through the wilderness to find a nearby stream, wait 45 mins for van to cool down (coolant pipes had pinched together.) We later took out the fan switch (it's at the bottom of the radiator,) sprayed with contact spray and it has been fine since - kicks in fine halfway up gauge and truck hasn;t overheated since.
buttondup
buttondup
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:46 am

If you have got a fan switch on the radiator, then you must have got an early 1300. Most of them are on the metal pipe from the engine to the radiator the one with the Radcap on. Its not that easy to see with all the LPG clutter under there but it is near the end of the metal pipe.

This why you need to state what year vehicle you have. I see it so many times on here. DETAILS PLEASE WHEN YOU ARE ASKING QUESTIONS.
You should know better by now Andy. Take an hour's detention and write out 100 times : I MUST SUPPLY ADEQUATE DETAILS IF I WANT AN ADEQUATE REPLY.
lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by andy pyke Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:46 pm

Woodie I did put my details...2nd post from the top  Very Happy Very Happy

Went for a fiddle this morning with that mass of wires and sellotape and the fan override light came on. I'm guessing whoever fitted the override just bodged it together. The electrics in this van are weird. If you flash the lights, the radio cuts out.  When you open the door, you get a repetitive beeping alarm...unless the rear window heater switch is on in which case the door alarm doesn't operate.

All very dodgy and I don't have a clue where to start with the wiring!

andy pyke
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:51 pm

Box of Matches and a gallon of Petrol??

Back to top Go down

Post by andy pyke Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:51 pm

Cruel!

andy pyke
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:20 am

Beeping would be lights-on reminder. Sounds like there's an earthing issue, at least

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by CoolJet Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:59 pm

Shouldnt overheat so easy at idle with the stat working properly. So i also suggest checking the thermostat.
To do that let the van heat up to about 3/4 gauge and feel the lower hose of the radiator. If it doesnt get very hot it indicates the stat has not openened and is faulty or there is no water flow wich indicates air in the system or a faulty pump.

To check.... take out the thermostat and put it in boiling water and check if it contracts the spring mechanism.
CoolJet
CoolJet
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:01 pm

I really can't believe this idiot. You are as stupid as some of the back street abortionist garages telling people that their overheating engine is caused by a faulty water pump. Water pumps don't suddenly stop working. In over 50 years of working on cars I have only once seen an impellor come off the shaft and that was a rusty cast iron impellor on a Mini water pump.

What a load of cobblers. Water pumps are ONLY faulty if they leak, caused by a hardened water seal or worn bearings and that was generally in the days when water pumps had heavy metal fans on them.

My best advice to you is to go back to bed and carry on dreaming and see what other stories you can dream up to give us all a good laugh.

Back to top Go down

Post by CoolJet Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:44 pm

Ooops. i see maybe not the water pump then alien cat rendeer
CoolJet
CoolJet
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:30 pm

Right laughs over. Humility has never been my strongest point (UNDERSTATEMENT) so much respect to you there H.J.

It is one of my Pet Hates when a "so called Garage" tells a customer that their overheating problems is probably the water pump failure. I get so angry at this Rippoff statement that they make to extracate as much money as possible from someone who can least afford it.

As I have said a water is only faulty if it is leaking. It may start making a lot of noise from worn bearings but then you know it on its way out and will soon expire.
Anyway, rant over and forgotten about on my part.

Back to top Go down

Post by CoolJet Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:41 pm

Yes, I got that with the water pump now. My statement was just a theoretical assumption without the required knowledge about how water pumps fail. I got a bit too ambitious. You are right. Tone was a bit harsh... never mind. Thanks for clarifiing. We all apreciate your comitment to the forum. Will take you advice now Sleep
CoolJet
CoolJet
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:45 am

Yes sorry about that H.J. As I said in the other post Humility has never been my strong point, and at this age I can't be bothered to change.
If you look at my profile it says : Sense of Humor : Definitely acerbic, taking no prisoners.
But thank you for your humility. Shows good character, something that I could learn from - - but I'm not going to.
I do have some redeeming features and all of them can be counted on one finger - but my memory is so poor these days, that I can't remember what that one is either.

Perhaps some of the other members might remind me of them - - - but then again - - - lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by andy pyke Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:54 pm

drunken drunken

andy pyke
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by verryoldman Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:57 pm

The Toyota Hi-ace water pumps used to corrode to the point of overheating can remember 3\4 of them.
As you say woodie not a common problem the first one drove us mad, funny thing the all belonged to one company but different ages
verryoldman
verryoldman
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down