Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rear Folding Seats

4 posters

Go down

Rear Folding Seats Empty Rear Folding Seats

Post by rajrakhiria Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:57 am

Hi All,

I've recently 'flogged' my beloved 1998 Hijet, and purchased an 'Extol' whatever that means in Japanese!? Hijet was still going strong but wanted an Extol before they become as rare as 'David Essex' records! Subsequently this Extol is in great condition both inside and out, just hope the engine and organs are equal to the strength of the Hijet!

Anyway long story short I'm after a folding seat, something I can self fit preferably that folds flat against the back of front seats? Not sure however what the regulations are with regards to how I fit and if I can fit seat belt restraints?

Kind Regards
Raj

rajrakhiria

Back to top Go down

Rear Folding Seats Empty Re: Rear Folding Seats

Post by buttondup Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:56 pm

no l sounds in Japanese.

Extol v: Praise enthusiastically
buttondup
buttondup
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:33 pm

Not sure that was your wisest move. I had one and didn't like it - sold it at 40k miles and the engine blew on the next owner some while later. Hope yours fares better.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by buttondup Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:39 pm

introducing the new daihatsu Sarky
buttondup
buttondup
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:22 pm

If you fit a rear seat without the proper factory threaded capsulated floor fittings it won't pass an Mot and you are breaking the law and common sense.

Worse still is the same for the seat belt mounting points. There aren't any obviously so you would have to fit them illegally, immediately after the Mot, and then have to live with the consequences if you were involved in a serious accident, especially somebody hitting you from behind.

As you foolishly want to face the seats backwards then your children or adults would be hurtled backwards towards the incoming vehicle.
I really find it unbelievable that you are stupid and irresponsible enough to even consider this idea.

I know that a few members on here have risked fitting a rear bench seat , but at least they were facing forward. Still doesn't make it right though does it??

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:32 pm

Wouldn't the dead people in front cushion the impact? bounce

FFS nothing will survive a crash in a Hijet, My foolishly fitted rear seat faces forward, is held in by chewing gum(ok, bolts) and has the seatbelt built in. I try very hard to avoid crashing Wink
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:54 pm

Yes I appreciate that Logi. We have had this conversation so many times about fitting rear seats in a van including the Extol . Only the MPV's had the floor and pillar fittings for both. The threaded holes in the floor are not relative to the seat holes footprint in a Hi-Jet Van.

The Extol has a raised floor at the top of the wheel arch height. It is about as strong as two Sardine cans. The floor of the Hi-Jet is much stronger as it is part of the unit construction of the vehicle. You could take the false floor out of the front of the Extol I suppose to get to the original floor which would place the seats lower.

I wanted to take the floor out of the Extol I had and undid virtually every bolt I could find, but I couldn't get the beggar out and gave up with the idea.

Anyway I have had my say and will say no more about it,

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down