Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi from Holland + looking for a van

+6
Raggy
Manuel_nl
elfin girl
danielfrisbee
HighlyJetted
sputnik
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hi from Holland + looking for a van Empty Hi from Holland + looking for a van

Post by tornas Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:57 pm

Hi all,

I registered to this forum because I'm thinking about buying a microvan. Ever since I saw one for the first time I've liked the little cute vans and during a recent visit to India I just fell in love with them. While doing research I found this forum, lurked around for a bit and decided to register. So here I am!

Here in The Netherlands microvans are not popular. They are a rare sight on the roads and at any given time you can find only between 5 and 10 for sale on the conventional online channels. Normally all of these are either cargo vans (no side windows) or pick up trucks. I would like to buy a passenger car (is that the right term?) with side windows. Brand is not important, as long as it's the cute loaf of bread shape like this little guy: america.pink/images/1/1/5/1/7/9/0/en/2-daihatsu-hijet.jpg (as a new member I am not allowed to post links).

I'm not a technician and unfortunately have never fixed cars in my life. When I read this forum I get the impression this is almost a requirement when you buy a microvan. Luckily I know a guy who fixes vans for a living and I am eager to learn the basics myself (even with my two left hands).

I've got a few questions. Sorry if some of them already had been asked before on this forum!

1. Would you advise against me buying a second hand microvan, as I'm completely unexperienced?
  2. Recently I did a test drive in a microvan pickup truck with camper set-up. As I'm quite tall (1.89m / ca. 6 feet and 2,5 inches), the drive was quite uncomfortable. Are the seats of the non-pick up versions better adjustable for tall persons? And if not, is it easy to change the set up of the chairs?
  3. As the supply in Holland is limited, I'm thinking about importing a van. I would like to import a left hand drive, preferably from somewhere in Europe so I can pick up the car myself. Can anybody recommend a European country? And are there other tips, especially when it comes to finding a trustworthy company / contact person in such a country?
  4. My dream is to find and buy a very small caravan in the long run, just big enough to provide a bed for two persons. Does anybody have experience with towing caravans with their microvan? Would it even be possible with the ca. 600 cc versions or should I look for a van with a bigger motor straight away?
  5. Any other thoughts for a microvan noob?  What a Face

Many thanks in advance!!

tornas
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Hi from Holland + looking for a van Empty Re: Hi from Holland + looking for a van

Post by sputnik Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:12 pm

Hello there.

The side window (6) passenger option is usually called an MPV over here. I'm just over 6' and find my one (Hijet mpv) surprisingly comfortable to drive. I believe there is more adjustment in the MPV seats than for ones with a bulkhead, but may be wrong here.

There have been a few owners on here from the Netherlands over the past couple of years. They may be able to give you an idea of where to find a van over there - I can't immediately remember their forum names though, sorry. Hijets were manufactured by Piaggio (see also Piaggio Porters) so I'd have thought Italy may have a few knocking about but vans may be more common than mpvs.

I am not particularly experienced with car maintenance (and only slightly better with motorbikes) but am generally willing to have a go at the more straightforward jobs. There are lots of very helpful people on here for advice. I'd say as long as you are realistic and open to the fact that stuff may need doing then there is no reason to avoid a micro-van but you should probably be all the more careful in choosing a good one to start with. Read Highlyjetted's buyer's guide near the top of the General forum as it'll give you a good idea of what to look for and some checks to do when you are irrationally tempted by some crappy old rust bucket.

Any other thoughts? Yeah - do it! They are great fun (in a frustrating, slightly unreliable kind of way).

sputnik
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Hi from Holland + looking for a van Empty Re: Hi from Holland + looking for a van

Post by tornas Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:25 pm

Wow sputnik, thanks for the rapid reply! You've made me even more motivated to go and buy one (after some more research that is).

For the others: keep the tips / info coming! I'll try to find the other Dutchies myself but if anybody of you is reading this: top als je zou willen antwoorden, in English of course Wink Or send me an PM. Thanks again!

tornas
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by sputnik Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:33 pm

Manuel_nl, jeremiah1992, Lex_Michdebus, hatsusan, JohanNL and scotia have all made appearances from NL in the last year or so. I've a feeling Scotia may have changed van and abandoned us but if you do a search for Netherlands then their posts may give you an idea of whereabouts they are. Don't say I'm not good to you! Laughing

sputnik
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by tornas Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:46 pm

Haha I already spotted a few of them myself and right now am harassing them via PM.

Tnx for your help. You've earned yourself the rights to take a ride in my soon-to-be-owned-imported-lefthand-drive-microvan-caravan-combination Wink

tornas
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:24 pm

tornas wrote:

1. Would you advise against me buying a second hand microvan, as I'm completely unexperienced?
  2. Recently I did a test drive in a microvan pickup truck with camper set-up. As I'm quite tall (1.89m / ca. 6 feet and 2,5 inches), the drive was quite uncomfortable. Are the seats of the non-pick up versions better adjustable for tall persons? And if not, is it easy to change the set up of the chairs?
  3. As the supply in Holland is limited, I'm thinking about importing a van. I would like to import a left hand drive, preferably from somewhere in Europe so I can pick up the car myself. Can anybody recommend a European country? And are there other tips, especially when it comes to finding a trustworthy company / contact person in such a country?
  4. My dream is to find and buy a very small caravan in the long run, just big enough to provide a bed for two persons. Does anybody have experience with towing caravans with their microvan? Would it even be possible with the ca. 600 cc versions or should I look for a van with a bigger motor straight away?
  5. Any other thoughts for a microvan noob?  What a Face

1) Good luck!
2) Pick up truck types have little leg room and not suited for proper man sized owners. I cannot drive them for very long without discomfort.
3) Look towards Itally for Piaggio Porters, that is where they come from and are very common.
4) Make sure you buy a 1.3 petrol whatever you want to do with it. The others are not very good in comparison.
5) Read the buyers guide! https://hijet.forumotion.com/t1367-daihatsu-hijet-buyers-guide-a-little-information-for-getting-a-good-one?highlight=buyers
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by danielfrisbee Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:53 am

yo, your reasons for wanting a microvan are exactly the same as mine, always thought they looked amazing, and then had a few experiences in india etc and really appreciated how versatile they are. I got one with windows and six seats. It's funny having to fold the front seats back to get at the engine. I also know nothing about mechanics but don't mind trying, and everyone here is very helpful. I've only had mine for two months but it seems alright so far, just a few little things to fiddle with. You can buy new ones I've noticed for around 10,000 euros so if you're rich you could just get the 'mpv' one of those. Mine has a tow bar, but I doubt you could pull a caravan safely, though it would definitely be hilarious to try. I'm 172cm and find it quite comfortable, though I would like the windscreen to have more upward visibility, so for taller people they must only see a little bit over the horizon on the flat.

Ultimately they are both amazing and ridiculously shit, with the Japanese ingenuity and the cheapness of them combining into a kind of unarguable beauty. If your friend who fixes vans is on board then I can't see any reason not to go for it, you only live once. I love mine and everyone else loves it too, and it's so useful. BUY BUY BUY!
danielfrisbee
danielfrisbee
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by tornas Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:43 am

Haha I love the positive vibes on this forum!

I'm looking into importing a second hand 1.3 version from Italy now (no budget for a new one I'm afraid, although €10K is dirt cheap for a new car). I will most definately read the buyers guide as well as the other posts on this forum. Will keep you all updated!

tornas
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:22 pm

I'm only 5'2" so I have my seat right forward to reach the pedals but my mate who is over 6'4" drove my van back from Cornwall when I broke my wrist (300 miles or so) and loved it, said it was surprisingly comfortable.
I suppose it would tow a small caravan on the flat in good weather but i doubt it would get up any hills! It does get very blown around on motorways feels like I'm driving a baked bean can!!
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:27 pm

I am 6ft tall and find the MPV very comfortable to drive and throw about round our country roads. I also have a 2004 Romahome which I imagine is the vehicle to which you refer. It uses the pickup as the Base Vehicle.

Several problems here with Beanpoles like you and me. The Pickups have limited legroom. Because you have to access the engine under the seat, and the seatback folded forward, it has just one upright position. It cannot be reclined due to the limitations of the Cab. It has a catch to fold the seatback
right forward.
The seatbase and back are a good bit thinner than the MPV or Van seats, and aren't very comfortable. If you put the much more comfortable Van seats in, it is a pain in the bum to to get the access to the driver's side engine access. You have to recline the the seat back forward which involves a copious amount of turning the reclining wheel, sliding the seat slightly forward, lifting the seat and inspection cover up just past the steering wheel and then sliding the seat as far forward as possible and then lifting it up as far as it will go and then Gorrilla it up a bit more to get the Seat Support Strap secured on, which is where one could do with an extra arm - - - just to check the oil level. It's easier to undo the two 12mm headed set-bolts and lift the seat and Base out altogether.

However, the later Piaggio Porter's from around 2006 I think - I have a 2007 one, have a cab extension which when the seat is right back I can barely reach the pedals.
The Pickup also has a very uncomfortable ride when empty. The front spring rates are higher and the leaf springs have thicker leaves in them, and also are bolted up directly onto the axle, metal to metal, making for a harsh ride.
The Vans and MPV's have rubber insulation around the spring so not metal on metal, which makes for a much softer ride.

As has already been said by Highly Jetted, get a 1300 PETROL. Do not even THINK ABOUT A DIESEL HI-JET. Also forget the Japanese import 660cc models as they are underpowered, being half the size of a 1300 engine. Spares would be very hard to find too.

Back to top Go down

Post by tornas Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:38 pm

Many thanks for the info Woody! It's much appreciated.

I decided to be a good boy and take all of your advice to heart. Found a 1.3 petrol van/mpv with side windows - I'm gonna take a look at it coming Friday. It's in Germany though (I'm from NL) so I'll have to import it.

As it's on a commercial license there are no rear seats. Don't really mind that though. I heard it can be a real pain in the ass to get it on a normal license so I'm not even going to try.

I've got a question concerning the tyres and rims though. Almost afraid to ask as I'm aware that there are MANY threads about this already.

Right now this little guy seems to be on 12" wheels (see pic below). I suspect all 4 tyres will have to be changed in order to get it through APK (Dutch MOT). And on this forum I read that it might be easier just to change the wheels to 13" as 12" tyres are hard to find (right?). And I wouldn't mind pimping the van with some steel/alloy rims anyway Smile

The service agency that's gonna help me import the car have been extremely helpful so far and have given me lots of tips without any obligations. Normally they import big ass luxury cars and they seem to be touched by the naive nitwit that wants to bring a completely worthless yet extremely adorable piece of junk to the Dutch roads. So I decided to trust them to do the APK (MOT) and if needed change the tyres/wheels.

Luckily for me they have technician that loves to tinker around with cars. Still I want to make things as easy as possible for them and as economical as possible for me. So I'm wondering which wheels are the best option in terms of availabilty and with the least need (preferably no need) of modding of the van.

Please excuse me if this question already has been answered on this forum, I found many threads about using wobbly nuts and was hoping for an even more straightforward solution. Or are wobbly nuts straightforward when you're a technician? (for me the term just reminds me of wearing loose boxer shorts bounce bounce )

Could I just tell the guys to find wheels from one of these cars (I found this list in one of the earlier threads) and fit them on the van?
Berlingo 96> 4x108 15 to 20 65.1
C2 03> 4x108 15 to 25 65.1
C3 02> 4x108 15 to 25 65.1
C5 01> 4x108 15 to 25 65.1
Saxo 4 Stud 92> 4x108 15 to 20 65.1
Saxo VTR/VTi 97> 4x108 15 to 20 65.1
Xantia 93 -97 4x108 15 to 20 65.1
Xsara 97> 4x108 15 to 20 65.1
Xsara Picasso 99> 4x108 15 to 20 65.1
ZX 90 -98 4x108 15 to 20 65.1
ZX 16v 92 -98 4x108 15 to 20 65.1

106 4 Stud 91> 4x108 15 to 20 65.1
106 GTI 96> 4x108 15 to 20 65.1
205, 309 84 -99 4x108 15 to 25 65.1
206 98> 4x108 20 to 25 65.1
306 93 -01 4x108 15 to 20 65.1
307 01> 4x108 15 to 25 65.1
405 87 -97 4x108 15 to 20 65.1
406/406 Coupe 95> 4x108 15 to 25 65.1
Partner 93> 4x108 15 to 20 65.1

Oh and this is the little fella, isn't he cute!!

Hi from Holland + looking for a van _2710

Thanks a lot guys!

tornas
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:21 pm

Sorry Tornas, but NONE of the above wheels will fit. The Hi-Jet has a PCD of 110mm,and hence the choice is VERY limited.
Personally I would never risk using Wobble Nuts. There is a website that you can have a look through to find suitable donor vehicles having the 110mm PCD.
Bear in mind that the back brake drums are flat and easy to accommodate any 110 wheel, but the front hubs have the protrusion of the wheel bearings housing, so the hole in the centre of the wheel needs to be big enough to go over.

I ground the housing down with an Angle Grinder with a strut gripped in the vice, with the disc and hub spinning round driven by the spinning grinding disc . You have to keep the grinder upright and absolutely central as the hub spins round to avoid damaging the threads of the studs. It's best to do it with the disc on the hub as it gives you the flywheel effect, whereas if you removed the disc and knock the studs out, the hub would spin too fast just on its own. Alternatively bolt the disc back on minus the studs in the hub and then use the grinder
I can't remember whether the Hi-Jet bearing housing is 56mm or 65mm, one or the other I think. The Daihatsu Cuore and the Move L601 have both got 110mm PCD.

The Website is called: Wheelfitment. eu
There address is :www.wheelfitment.eu
I hope that this helps you and many other Forum members.

Back to top Go down

Post by tornas Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:40 pm

Yes this certainly helps. I did an ultra quick search on Google and you are right: those rims are hard to come by - so far I haven't found a Dutch site that offers them (they seem to be abundant in Indonesia though Wink ).

Am I right that even if I would find 13" 110 PCD wheels, they still would require some modification and that I'm stuck with 12" 110 PCD if I don't want to make any other adaptations to the van?

Oh well, I think I will just have to wait and see what the guy from the import service agency will come up with!

tornas
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex_Michdebus Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:52 pm

Als je niet zelf kunt sleutelen dan denk ik dat je bij de aankoop geen gebruik moet maken van de koopjes op Marktplaats. Reken erop dat je voor een goede bus zo'n 2000 euro kwijt bent. Let goed op de km-stand, deze busjes worden ook vaak gebruikt voor korte stukjes, dat is niet handig voor de levensduur.

Als je een Suzuki Super Carry wil dan ben je NOG duurder uit. Deze zijn over het algemeen 2x zo duur als een Hijet, gewoon omdat het een bekender ding is. Of ze ook daadwerkelijk beter zijn weet ik niet, ik heb zo eentje nog nooit onderhouden.

Het is een kwestie van een half jaar lang Marktplaats in de gaten blijven houden en een beetje op de hoogte komen van de prijzen die gevraagd worden en die geboden worden. Ik heb op een gegeven moment een bus online zien komen met maar 22.000 km op de teller bij een handelaar. Hiervoor heb ik een beste prijs betaald, maar zo'n goed exemplaar heb ik in het afgelopen jaar nog niet voorbij zien komen. Deze wilde ook nog wel wat geven voor mijn vorige auto, dus eigenlijk dubbele winst.

Wat ik verder nog te weten ben gekomen is dat je beter de wat modernere kunt hebben (1997-200?) dan de versie tot en met 1996 (dus die van de foto is de goede). Deze hebben een wat grotere tunnel tussen de voorstoelen waardoor het blok beter gekoeld wordt.

Over de wielen (ik zie dat je hem al bijna gekocht hebt): blijf gewoon op 12" rijden dan weet je zeker dat je geen gekke dingen gaat krijgen. Met een spuitbus verf (felrood bijv.) kun je ook al een heel effect krijgen onder een witte bus en het scheelt je een hoop geld en een hoop gedoe. All-seasons in 12" zijn er alleen van Petlas als ik me niet vergis, maar ik heb geen ervaring met dat merk. Kijk op http://banden.autoweek.nl/ om te vergelijken, dan heb je een idee van wat het gaat kosten etc. De maten zijn 155/80 R12 als ik me niet vergis.

Winter- / zomerbandensetjes kun je ook hebben natuurlijk, maar dan zit je wel weer iedere keer te klooien met het omleggen van de wielen/banden. Een extra set velgen zien te vinden is ook al een uitdaging, dus zoiets is ook weer niet zo aan te raden. Je banden ieder half jaar van de velg halen en terug erop leggen is NIET goed voor de banden!

Importeren ben ik geen fan van, in het buitenland is het terugdraaien van de kilometerstand makkelijker dan hier, dus een auto van het buitenland is in mijn boek al meteen verdacht. Als je zelf kunt sleutelen en onderhouden is dat probleem niet zo groot, maar als je moet betalen voor de uren dat het onderhoud kost, dan krijg je heel veel spijt. Let vooral op de roest en dingen die slijten aan een auto die gebruikt wordt. Gaspedaal, handgreepjes...

Dan een laatste opmerking: de distributieriem die er al te lang op zit is geen APK afkeur... Het eerste wat je dus doet (bij alle auto's is dit trouwens een belangrijke) is een nieuwe distributieriem (en spanrol) laten plaatsen. Laat een nieuwe waterpomp (deze wordt niet aangedreven door, maar zit wel achter de riem, dus het is handig om die ook te doen als de riem er toch af is) niet door de eerste de beste beunhaas plaatsen, maar door iemand die de Daihatsu Hijet goed kent. Zoals hier overal te lezen is, is het goed luchtbel en lekkage vrij houden van je koelsysteem het belangrijkste van deze hele wagen. En het is bij deze auto een specialistisch werkje, niet zoals de standaard auto... Eenmaal te heet geworden, dan is het voor een niet-sleutelaar onmogelijk om (economisch gezien) weer rijdend te maken.

If there's a need for a translation, let me know. But I guessed my long story was a little irrelevant for the UK market.

Last edited by Lex_Michdebus on Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lex_Michdebus
Lex_Michdebus
Centurion

https://youtu.be/zAH2jjzAhU8

Back to top Go down

Post by tornas Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:54 pm

@WOODY:
sorry for all my questions but this site says it offers the right wheels, but that is not true, right?

Hi from Holland + looking for a van A10

(As a new user I can't post a direct link, if you would like to see the website please copypaste underneath link in your browser address bar)

bandenleader.nl/aluminium-velgen-auto/daihatsu/hijet/hijet-bestelwagen-14104

@LEX: thanks for your reply! Gotta run now but will reply asap!

tornas
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:56 pm

If you have got a wheel with the right PCD, then the only concern is the centre hole. You can take the disc and hub off and remove the hub and get it turned down to the size you need at an Engineering Shop.
Doing both of mine took me 30 mins and two grinding discs. No contest in my book.

And for those who say that the wheel needs to locate firmly on the bearing house stub, it would ideal as the wheel does the steering and braking. But ultimately it is located on the studs as is the rear wheels are. I have had no problems in 3 years with mine with 5"X13" and 185/60/13 tyres.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex_Michdebus Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:57 pm

tornas wrote:@WOODY:
sorry for all my questions but this site says it offers the right wheels, but that is not true, right?

[picture]

(As a new user I can't post a direct link, if you would like to see the website please copypaste underneath link in your browser address bar)

bandenleader.nl/aluminium-velgen-auto/daihatsu/hijet/hijet-bestelwagen-14104

@LEX: thanks for your reply! Gotta run now but will reply asap!

The PCD in the pictures is 4x100, the Hijet is 4x110. So the holes are in the wrong place, they're not the right wheels.
Lex_Michdebus
Lex_Michdebus
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:03 pm

Bit difficult doing that on a Mobile Phone.

You are correct about the wheels. They fit the rest of the Daihatsu Car range with 100mmPCD, as are Ford's Peugeot Citroën etc. but not Hi-Jets. Shame really as they are lovely looking wheels.

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:08 pm

Fronts are under more load than rears, especially the odd forces of turning and braking at the same time.

I'm sure there is very little chance of correct PCD wheels moving with an incorrect centre bore.

But incorrect centre bore and incorrect stud pattern is a pretty dodgy combination.

Speaking of which.... I have a set of 5 x Mazda wheels, and a pair of machined down hubs up for sale Wink

They do need tyres, as the current ones are too big for a Hijet.

But they are all hand polished and very sexy!
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by tornas Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:24 pm

Sorry for Dutch, guys!

Lex_Michdebus wrote:Als je niet zelf kunt sleutelen dan denk ik dat je bij de aankoop geen gebruik moet maken van de koopjes op Marktplaats. Reken erop dat je voor een goede bus zo'n 2000 euro kwijt bent. Let goed op de km-stand, deze busjes worden ook vaak gebruikt voor korte stukjes, dat is niet handig voor de levensduur.
De vraagprijs van de bus die ik op het ook heb, is 2,2K. Heeft wel ruim 100K op de teller staan.

Het is een kwestie van een half jaar lang Marktplaats in de gaten blijven houden en een beetje op de hoogte komen van de prijzen die gevraagd worden en die geboden worden. Ik heb op een gegeven moment een bus online zien komen met maar 22.000 km op de teller bij een handelaar. Hiervoor heb ik een beste prijs betaald, maar zo'n goed exemplaar heb ik in het afgelopen jaar nog niet voorbij zien komen. Deze wilde ook nog wel wat geven voor mijn vorige auto, dus eigenlijk dubbele winst.
Tja. Geduld hebben is eigenlijk het slimste, daar heb je gelijk in. Maar ik wil er nú een! ;-)

Wat ik verder nog te weten ben gekomen is dat je beter de wat modernere kunt hebben (1997-200?) dan de versie tot en met 1996 (dus die van de foto is de goede). Deze hebben een wat grotere tunnel tussen de voorstoelen waardoor het blok beter gekoeld wordt.
De mijne komt uit 2001 Smile

Over de wielen (ik zie dat je hem al bijna gekocht hebt): blijf gewoon op 12" rijden dan weet je zeker dat je geen gekke dingen gaat krijgen. Met een spuitbus verf (felrood bijv.) kun je ook al een heel effect krijgen onder een witte bus en het scheelt je een hoop geld en een hoop gedoe. All-seasons in 12" zijn er alleen van Petlas als ik me niet vergis, maar ik heb geen ervaring met dat merk. Kijk op [link] om te vergelijken, dan heb je een idee van wat het gaat kosten etc. De maten zijn 155/80 R12 als ik me niet vergis.
Oké, dank voor de tip! Ik denk inderdaad dat ik hem voor nu zo standaard mogelijk laat (mocht ik hem kopen), dan kan ik er later altijd nog aan gaan klooien.

Winter- / zomerbandensetjes kun je ook hebben natuurlijk, maar dan zit je wel weer iedere keer te klooien met het omleggen van de wielen/banden. Een extra set velgen zien te vinden is ook al een uitdaging, dus zoiets is ook weer niet zo aan te raden. Je banden ieder half jaar van de velg halen en terug erop leggen is NIET goed voor de banden!
Klopt,bij mijn vorige auto's heb ik eigenlijk nooit winterbanden gehad. Ik rijd ook niet zo gek veel. Alleen als ik 's winters naar Duitsland rijd zou het nodig zijn.

Importeren ben ik geen fan van, in het buitenland is het terugdraaien van de kilometerstand makkelijker dan hier, dus een auto van het buitenland is in mijn boek al meteen verdacht. Als je zelf kunt sleutelen en onderhouden is dat probleem niet zo groot, maar als je moet betalen voor de uren dat het onderhoud kost, dan krijg je heel veel spijt. Let vooral op de roest en dingen die slijten aan een auto die gebruikt wordt. Gaspedaal, handgreepjes...
Thanks. De auto is origineel Duits, gelukkig een relatief veilig land wat dat betreft. Het blijft sowieso wel echt een gok natuurlijk, zo'n auto kopen. Vooral omdat ik er zelf niet zo veel van af weet. Maar ja, zekerheid is ook weer zo saai!

Dan een laatste opmerking: de distributieriem die er al te lang op zit is geen APK afkeur... Het eerste wat je dus doet (bij alle auto's is dit trouwens een belangrijke) is een nieuwe distributieriem (en spanrol) laten plaatsen. Laat een nieuwe waterpomp (deze wordt niet aangedreven door, maar zit wel achter de riem, dus het is handig om die ook te doen als de riem er toch af is) niet door de eerste de beste beunhaas plaatsen, maar door iemand die de Daihatsu Hijet goed kent. Zoals hier overal te lezen is, is het goed luchtbel en lekkage vrij houden van je koelsysteem het belangrijkste van deze hele wagen. En het is bij deze auto een specialistisch werkje, niet zoals de standaard auto... Eenmaal te heet geworden, dan is het voor een niet-sleutelaar onmogelijk om (economisch gezien) weer rijdend te maken.
Dank voor deze en alle andere technische tips. Ik heb daar echt heel veel aan. Mocht je een goede Hijet monteur weten dan houd ik me aanbevolen.

tornas
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by tornas Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:26 pm

HighlyJetted wrote:Fronts are under more load than rears, especially the odd forces of turning and braking at the same time.

I'm sure there is very little chance of correct PCD wheels moving with an incorrect centre bore.

But incorrect centre bore and incorrect stud pattern is a pretty dodgy combination.

Speaking of which.... I have a set of 5 x Mazda wheels, and a pair of machined down hubs up for sale Wink

They do need tyres, as the current ones are too big for a Hijet.

But they are all hand polished and very sexy!
Ha! I just promised to Lex (in Dutch) not to temper with the wheels just yet. But I know where to find you should I change my mind Wink

tornas
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:32 pm

Hi from Holland + looking for a van Latest?cb=20070621173931

schmoke and a pancake?
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:39 pm

What was all that Advertising rubbish on here a few minutes ago from Sponsored Content?? It was about Uba taxi scooters and some other rubbish. Did any of you see it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex_Michdebus Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:55 pm

tornas wrote:Sorry for Dutch, guys!

Lex_Michdebus wrote:[..]
De vraagprijs van de bus die ik op het ook heb, is 2,2K. Heeft wel ruim 100K op de teller staan.

[..]
Tja. Geduld hebben is eigenlijk het slimste, daar heb je gelijk in. Maar ik wil er nú een! ;-)

[..]
De mijne komt uit 2001 Smile

[..]
Oké, dank voor de tip! Ik denk inderdaad dat ik hem voor nu zo standaard mogelijk laat (mocht ik hem kopen), dan kan ik er later altijd nog aan gaan klooien.

[..]
Klopt,bij mijn vorige auto's heb ik eigenlijk nooit winterbanden gehad. Ik rijd ook niet zo gek veel. Alleen als ik 's winters naar Duitsland rijd zou het nodig zijn.

[..]
Thanks. De auto is origineel Duits, gelukkig een relatief veilig land wat dat betreft. Het blijft sowieso wel echt een gok natuurlijk, zo'n auto kopen. Vooral omdat ik er zelf niet zo veel van af weet. Maar ja, zekerheid is ook weer zo saai!
[..]
Dank voor deze en alle andere technische tips. Ik heb daar echt heel veel aan. Mocht je een goede Hijet monteur weten dan houd ik me aanbevolen.

Sorry, continuing in Dutch, because the UK market (and tax rules etc.) is different from The Netherlands.

2,2K voor import (Duitsland is helemaal niet zo betrouwbaar als je denkt) met meer dan een ton is veel te veel. Ik wil je feest niet verpesten, maar ik zou hard wegrennen. Voorbeeldje van een Nederlander die eigenlijk teveel geld wil, maar voor iemand die er ECHT PER SE EEN WIL, akkoord. Het risico van een Duitse import is in elk geval veel groter en dan ook nog eens duurder! De mijne was minder dan 2,2K en had maar 22.000 km... En dan was ik bereid om iets meer te betalen omdat ik met zo'n km-stand over 50.000km nog steeds een goede prijs zou kunnen krijgen ALS ik er vanaf zou willen.

Een half jaar geleden stond er eentje (dezelfde als van jouw foto) voor 1900 met minder dan een ton te koop ergens bij een handelaar in de Randstad. Iets teveel betalen omdat je graag een busje wil zou ik in orde vinden, maar 2,2k is gewoon erg veel geld. Volgens mij draaien ze je een poot uit. En dan ben je er nog niet met de aanschaf, want je bent meteen geld kwijt aan een grote beurt (filters, olie, bougies, 150 euro bij een beuner?) en een nieuwe riem met spanrol (150 euro bij een beuner? Allemaal dingen waar niet naar gekeken wordt met de APK). En dan ook nog eens 4 nieuwe sloffen! Ik snap dat je graag snel een bus wil (het is echt iedere dag een feestje als ik met hem kan gaan rijden), maar heb gewoon iets meer geduld met Marktplaats. Zekerheid is voor mensen met een dik inkomen misschien wel saai ja, maar waarom dan niet een afgetrapte kopen voor 750 en zien waar het schip strandt? Net zo onzeker, maar wel geld over om de klappen op te vangen... Hier een voorbeeldje van de kosten/prijzen die je kunt verwachten. Te bekijken in Amsterdam, kijken kijken niet kopen mag altijd!.

Een goede monteur in de Randstad zou ik niet weten helaas; ik zit in Limburg, maar misschien zijn er andere Nederlanders met die kennis. Kijk ook eens op Facebook, daar zit een Daihatsu Nederlanders groepje ofzoiets (ik heb zelf geen Facebook, dus ik heb geen flauw idee hoe dat werkt). Voor mij is aan auto's sleutelen ook maar een hobby trouwens, maar ik ken mijn auto's beter dan de meeste monteurs die in een garage werken. Kun je ze ook niet kwalijk nemen, want er zijn zoveel verschillende merken/types/uitvoeringen, dat is onmogelijk om bij te houden. Mijn auto's zijn ook nog eens allemaal stukken waar niet veel specialisten meer van over zijn. Ik weet niet wat het kost in de Randstad, maar een jaartje avondcursus automonteur doet wonderen en heb je na 20.000 km rijden terugverdiend. Hier vlakbij over de grens in Belgie kost zoiets 200 euro per jaar en je hebt dan 1x per week een avond van 3 uur een gehele werkplaats (van een middelbare school, 4 bruggen) ter beschikking, inclusief docent met een eindeloze bron aan kennis. Om terug te komen op die betrouwbare Hijet specialist in de Randstad; die ken ik misschien wel en dat ben je zelf, maar misschien alleen nu nog niet Wink

@Woody, I didn't see it.
Lex_Michdebus
Lex_Michdebus
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by tornas Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:53 am

^ Translation for non-Dutch: ABORT MISSION! DO NOT BUY THE VAN! YOU ARE PAYING WAY TOO MUCH!!

Lex, thanks for the warning. I might still just take a look at the van (stubborn and impatient as I am), but I will def take your warnming into consideration. However, as you know, it is easier to fall in love than to end it..

@HighJetted: youtube.com/watch?v=IRfluaMKoOY

tornas
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:39 am

Laughing I love the way the rest of the world stereotypes the dutch !

HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by tornas Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:46 pm

So what do you guys think would be a realistic price for a 2001 Hijet with sidewindows with 100.000KM in good shape?

I found one in Cologne, Germany with a pricetag of € 2.200 (1.700 pounds) - Lex told me this is way too much. But it is a van with sidewindows (exactly what I want) and those types of Hijets are very scarce in Western Europe (and I'd rather not import one from Spain/Italy). What would be the max amount I should pay?

Thanks again guys, without you I would be lost.

tornas
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by tornas Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:45 pm

OK I've made a mental u-turn. F silent ck the guy in Germany, I'm gonna take a look at a Dutch microvan first. Will update on how that went. Haha I'm all over the place Wink

tornas
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex_Michdebus Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:39 pm

You're right about the scarcity of the window type vans. Why would you like one with windows?

Mine is a closed van, but the previous owner had an after market window put in the passenger side sliding door. Maybe that's an option? If it's not too expensive of course.

Like I said before, take your time with finding a good van. Go and do a few test drives, keep checking Marktplaats, kijken kijken niet kopen! Keep an eye on the km's, the rust in the wheel arcs, it'll come eventually. I'm not sure about how old you are, but you've got the time. It's not like you're going to die soon.
Lex_Michdebus
Lex_Michdebus
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Manuel_nl Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:30 am

Hi there Tornas, I'm driving the Hijet/Porter for 6 years now and I've have seen a lot of Hijets passing by in The Netherlands since then. I to was to eager buying my 1.3 Porter in the dark and in the rain and paid to much. But I'm still happy with it.
If you have any doubt purchasing I'll give you my free opinion. :-)
Manuel_nl
Manuel_nl
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next