Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suzuki Every/Carry DA64V Road Legal in the United States

3 posters

Go down

Suzuki Every/Carry DA64V Road Legal in the United States Empty Suzuki Every/Carry DA64V Road Legal in the United States

Post by AdamR Sun May 10, 2015 4:20 am

Hello, I am just now discovering these vehicles. I would like to have a DA64V shipped in from Japan. I have been told that some people have been able to make them legal to drive on all roads with some modifications. I live in California. Does any anyone have any info on how I would go about this (the modifications, and the paperwork involved)? If you don't know, do you know where I could go to find some information to get started?

Thank you kindly in advance!

AdamR

Back to top Go down

Suzuki Every/Carry DA64V Road Legal in the United States Empty Re: Suzuki Every/Carry DA64V Road Legal in the United States

Post by HighlyJetted Mon May 11, 2015 7:32 am

We don't know round here,

Because we mostly live in the UK.

You need to find people that know about the Californian smog tests and how you go about registering an import.

But I think California is one of the most strict states in America to import a vehicle into, although there may be some loop holes the mini van will slip into.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Suzuki Every/Carry DA64V Road Legal in the United States Empty Re: Suzuki Every/Carry DA64V Road Legal in the United States

Post by Substar Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:45 am

AdamR wrote:Hello, I am just now discovering these vehicles. I would like to have a DA64V shipped in from Japan. I have been told that some people have been able to make them legal to drive on all roads with some modifications. I live in California. Does any anyone have any info on how I would go about this (the modifications, and the paperwork involved)? If you don't know, do you know where I could go to find some information to get started?

Thank you kindly in advance!

I know its an old post, but I know some folks will stumble on this, just like I did, so here is an answer to this.

In the US, there is a 25 year rule which applies to these mini vans and mini trucks. Basically, vehicles that are at least 25 years old from the year of manufacture can be imported to US without any restrictions and can be driven as on-road vehicle legally.

In some cases some people want to buy newer vehicle than 25 years old as it is pretty old. So in that case if the vehicle is newer than 25 years old it can still be imported to USA with some restrictions which can be used as off-road vehicle, but some states won't allow it even as off-road vehicle.

In California for example,  Allowed in California as long as the vehicle is used in a natural island of more than 20,000 acres with a population not less than 4,000,000 in that county.

Hope that helps Smile

Last edited by Substar on Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding info)

Substar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down