Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

radiator cooling fan

2 posters

Go down

radiator cooling fan Empty radiator cooling fan

Post by gandalf Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:01 pm

I have a X reg 1.3 hi-jet which i've used now for 9 years done 118000 miles 90 thousand of which i've done. Recently having electrical problems which culminated in blown fuses for indicators , wiper while driving in a very heavy rain, then after another couple of miles the engine stopped as well. Called the RAC who tried his best but it just kept blowing fuses so he towed me the 4 miles home. There is an excellent auto electrician near me who subsequently found the wire insulation for, the left rear indicator was braking down causing a short also water presumably having got on the coils had blown a fuse next to the ECU which had stopped modulating the current.

In the meantime i bought another hijet 51 plate only 51000 miles which appears to be in great condition, stainless exhaust, professionally reconditioned petrol tank, drives exceptionally well, feels like a new vicle compared to the X reg, even boarded out however the fan has been wired so it runs constantly and was like that when he bought the van two years ago, he asked a guy in south wales who is apparently an excellent mechanic with good knowledge about hijets about having it put back to standard and was advised to leave it as it is.
I've done around 400 miles and the fan started making a tapping noise when starting from cold which completely disappears quickly once the engine starts to warm up, but when i turn the engine off just before the fan stops rotating it ticks again.

I'm presuming the fan is wearing out ? also any comments on the fan being hardwired would be appreciated, also considering removing the fan fuse as a temporary measure till i can find time to replace the fan if in fact thats what is needed thanks

gandalf

Back to top Go down

radiator cooling fan Empty Re: radiator cooling fan

Post by HighlyJetted Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:10 pm

If you keep the fan running, it won't last very long.

They just are not designed for it.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by gandalf Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:21 pm

Thanks i thought that myself, its already been running over two years already although the guy i bought it from only did about 1500 miles in that time.   Must have been waiting for me.  Maybe put a switch in for now if i can work out what they've done with the wiring

gandalf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down