Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

alternator

4 posters

Go down

alternator Empty alternator

Post by elfin girl Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:14 pm

im after a working alternator for a 99 1.3 hijet. or if anybody knows any companys selling links would be great

sick to death of my battery dying every winter, every mechanic says the alternator is fine (not one has checked it!) but im pretty damn sure its not puting out enough to charge the battery.. through the summer the battery has just enough power in the mornings to start it. come winter when i need the lights, blower ect it eventualy gives up due to lack of power... now in my eyes if the lights dim as i switch on more electrical stuff there is something up with the alternator. if anybody else thinks it may be somethong else feel free to offer your theories !
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

alternator Empty Re: alternator

Post by HighlyJetted Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:01 pm

Check the voltage at the battery when running.

Should get 13.8 or more if the alternator is good.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:09 pm

that wouldbe easily done... except it now wont start so i also cant drive anywhere to get anything! its too bloody cold for me to do anything now too. i know i have two multi meters.... somewhere, cant find either... or any of the three battery chargers i own! mot due jan 9th so ill be stuffed if i cant find anything before then!
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by bushwhacker Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:03 pm

I would be suspicious of the battery. How old is it and how is it rated (Ah, amps and test standard SAE, EN, DIN)?.
bushwhacker
bushwhacker
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:16 pm

battery bought last winter, to replace the one i bought the winter before... cant remember the ratings but same as the one that was in van when i got it that lasted four/five years after i got it.
till i started noticing loss of power when more electrics used.
im just having a look at the booster battery things as was considering getting one anyway. for a bit of extra power when camping.
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:21 pm

essentially even when the van starts there is not enough power being generated to run the lights and the blower (lights dim more with each electrical instrument switched on) so yes the battery is most likely shagged... the most likely cause being that it never gets properly charged while in the van. in summer i just about get away with it but come winter i cant drive short distances or in the dark or cold because otherwise the battery doesnt get enough charge to start it up the next time!
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:32 pm

daisydon wrote:essentially even when the van starts there is not enough power being generated to run the lights and the blower (lights dim more with each electrical instrument switched on) so yes the battery is most likely shagged... the most likely cause being that it never gets properly charged while in the van. in summer i just about get away with it but come winter i cant drive short distances or in the dark or cold because otherwise the battery doesnt get enough charge to start it up the next time!

What is your daily/regular commute/usage?
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:49 pm

three days a week i do two to four 5 min drives to work, dog walks, not enough to recharge, the other four days either two 20 min drives or none at all then the occasional 30-60 min drive at weekends. then the odd several hours of driving.
the week before it died i had been doing a fair bit more driving about, 45 min journeys but mostly needing lights and blower going
i
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:51 pm

mind you, i had been sitting with the engine running, no electrics on for for about 5 mins after each journey last week too as i was well aware the problem was likeley to repeat itself!
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by elfin girl Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:36 pm

so battery booster is on charge. hopefully this will keep the van battery going for longer. a much cheeper option than buying an alternator and finding battery still wears out. and the booster is multi function, has a pump, light and cigarette lighter socket so should come in handy when camping

oh.. and i found my multi meter so at leats now i can check the volts and see whats going on when the van is running
elfin girl
elfin girl
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:47 pm

If you can lift the caps on the battery, get someone to hold the key in the crank position(even though it's not turning over) and look in the cells, if any are bubbling yer battery's goosed.
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down