Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do you lot do when your not playing with your Hijets?

+13
StvC
Fish
Tukz
kentgpz11
redneck
large519
rich the mechanic
SkippyGLI
bones 851
leopard_pagan
HighlyJetted
jetex
Admin
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What do you lot do when your not playing with your Hijets? - Page 2 Empty Re: What do you lot do when your not playing with your Hijets?

Post by kentgpz11 Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:19 pm

Build cars for a living.
Tinker with & ride motorbikes for fun.
But not in this weather.  Smile

Last edited by kentgpz11 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
kentgpz11
kentgpz11
Centurion

Back to top Go down

What do you lot do when your not playing with your Hijets? - Page 2 Empty Re: What do you lot do when your not playing with your Hijets?

Post by leopard_pagan Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:58 pm

not that you could tell from your name....... another biker on the site.

maybe we should start up a Micro Van Owners MCC.. lol
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kentgpz11 Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:50 pm

Micro vans & motorbikes, what a combination...
This impresses the hell out of me... Cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u17SnkgXx8
kentgpz11
kentgpz11
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:18 am

just had a fit of giggles!
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SkippyGLI Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:39 pm

I can hear that manic giggling from here LP!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Love the idea, and when and if Rivets motor ever gives up then I really might consider doing something similar with a Pan Motor or a Blackbird (Honda man me Smile ) I wonder what they did about reverse??? I know you can get diff adaptors for bike engined kit cars but they are a bit pricey - anybody know?
SkippyGLI
SkippyGLI
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by kentgpz11 Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:13 pm

I just assumed there was no reverse gear.
Check this one out, I know it's not a van, but it looks like fun... Cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gseTGwppbg
kentgpz11
kentgpz11
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Tukz Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:57 pm

It has reverse. It has a starter motor mounted on the rear axle somewhow.
Tukz
Tukz
Centurion

http://www.tuktuktravel.co.uk

Back to top Go down

What do you lot do when your not playing with your Hijets? - Page 2 Empty What do you lot do when your not playing with your Hijets?

Post by rich the mechanic Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:12 pm

You could always use a caravan mover adapted to give reverse we have seen them for sale at car boot sales.

Rich.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:20 am

id go for a shaft drive bike engine. a mate who builds trikes said thats the only engine that can cope.
but...... what would a TLR/SP/Aprillia Vtwin engine sound like.....mmmmmmmmmmmmm
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SkippyGLI Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:33 pm

leopard_pagan wrote:id go for a shaft drive bike engine. a mate who builds trikes said thats the only engine that can cope.
but...... what would a TLR/SP/Aprillia Vtwin engine sound like.....mmmmmmmmmmmmm

LP I ride Cx's 500 (& a GL650) - both 'V' Twin, both shaft drive and I don't think either engine would cope that well, hence the plether of badly built CX/Reliant based trikes that pop up regular as clock work on eburp etc.

I have an aquaintance down here in based in Newton Abbot who has been building trikes based on BMW K series engines for years, using a monoshock/torsion bar suspension system that actually works the way it should. Having had a beemer brick years ago I think perhaps it would be a great engine to utilise, it's even more compact than the 'Jet' motor and is also a single plate clutch similar to cars. If it had to be a v-twin then I think it would have to be a Guzzi lump - one of the later ones with a four valve head making abouty 130 BHP would be nice Very Happy Very Happy
SkippyGLI
SkippyGLI
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:57 pm

imagines how the insurance quote call would go...
"has it got any modifications"
"eeeerrrmmm... just one or two!"
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

What do you lot do when your not playing with your Hijets? - Page 2 Empty What do you lot do when your not playing with your Hijets?

Post by rich the mechanic Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:04 pm

Talking of mods and insurance my mk3 essy is on a modified classic insurance (limited miles) and not even the motor is stock on it and I can't match HIC for a quote its third part fire and theft and I pay about £270 ish a year anyone else and its over a grand they couldn't match the van for a quote but we needed business use. My mate also uses them and has a coke bottle cortina and when he asked them what they would and wouldn't insure it was only an american motor they didn't want to know.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

What do you lot do when your not playing with your Hijets? - Page 2 Empty car/motorbike hybrid...

Post by Guest Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:14 am

We have a very unique BMW R80 with a stretched frame, CX tank and a Reliant engine.
It's a motorbike not a trike. Just a foot or so longer than normal...and so ugly it's cute.
Can't show you a piccy as I can't paste the image on this site.
Built by a friend who used to work at MIRA - he discovered it part-built in a shed when looking for a reliant engine for a trike project - it has all the paperwork to approve the frame etc and old MOTS etc. Can be tricky getting insurance as many firms not interested in altered frames or charging as if it was built by the Orange County workshop rather than a cheap as chips bitsa. As we have the other bikes we just don't use it enough to justify the cost of keeping it on the road although it is lots of fun to ride and gets loads of interest. Might take it up to Farmyard Party or other big show with a For Sale taped on it...
Some mechanical knowledge useful due to ingenious solutions in mating everything together. Builder is willing to be paid to maintain it but is busy doing proddy racing so not always available on short notice.

Back to top Go down

Post by SkippyGLI Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:14 pm

When not playing with my Hijet I......................................................................................

What do you lot do when your not playing with your Hijets? - Page 2 Vaneatingtentstrikes-1

Go camping in February???????

What do you lot do when your not playing with your Hijets? - Page 2 Spotthevan

Cooking for the club members who were mad enough to stay on site at the show ground at Shepton Mallet last weekend

What do you lot do when your not playing with your Hijets? - Page 2 Coockingforthetroopssat

My mate Monty (back of photo) thought he would be nice and toasty in the back of his Freelander - he wasnt........ The temperature dropped to -8C over night, I was nice and warm in the van - until the airbed went down and my hip hit the deck, still I had a better night all round than Monty LOL!

What do you lot do when your not playing with your Hijets? - Page 2 ColdMOnty

Just a couple of the stand we assembled in the Marquee (cold it was too, inspite of any heating there might have been).

What do you lot do when your not playing with your Hijets? - Page 2 Clubstand2

Ian on the phone and NOT picking his schnoz as we all thought!!!!!

What do you lot do when your not playing with your Hijets? - Page 2 Clubstand1
SkippyGLI
SkippyGLI
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:00 pm

does your club go to the BMF at all?
we do.. but Hovis doent carry the massive marque.. would make the van over weight!
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SkippyGLI Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:47 am

leopard_pagan wrote:does your club go to the BMF at all?
we do.. but Hovis doent carry the massive marque.. would make the van over weight!

Not yet, the MCC managment have a policy of NOT paying to attend events and it seems to work! In years past the BMF have demanded that each club member attending pays the admission fee and the club gets a free stand (wow wee). Our response to this has, and remains 'why should we pay to bring our bikes etc. into a show so that paying members of the public have something to look at, so they (the BMF) can make money'? The vast majority of show organisers I've been in contact with now run a policy of free entry for those club members bringing bikes etc. to display on our stands! Even those organising 'Country Fairs' etc. appeared to have realised that without our support they don't actually have a 'show'. If they charge - we don't go, simple as that, and many other clubs seem to be adopting a similar attitude.

The MCC has some marque's nominally 6m by 3m I think. I have 3 of a similar size as well, that have been well used at various shows and are now starting to show it (scuse the pun). I have been pushing for quite some time now for them to authorise me to get an Ex Mod marque either a 12 x 24 or preferably an 18 by 24, but that would stretch the 'little ole bus' to the limit of load carrying and thats for sure.

I had a fair bit of kit on the back of the waggon at the weekend and Shepton is the first real long journey I've made in her; since I've had her she's mainly bopped around town!

It became very apparent that speed needs to be carried, gear changes planned in advance and some mechanical sympathy put aside esp. when tackling large steep hills. Other than that I've been very happy with the performance. I did approx 130 miles and she used about an indicated 3rd of a tank of fuel - having said that the fuel gauge does lie like a cheap Naafi watch (badly). I think the 1 ton load capacity is a bit optimistic,or the 750kg towing capabilty.............. One or the other certainly, I'd be more inclined to suggest 750kg load carrying between the axles or a maximum of 500kg inc trailer being towed..........

The biggest problem is encountered over the whole weekend was the bus wheel spinning on the mud due to zero weight over the back axle - cue 3 very heavy club members!!!
SkippyGLI
SkippyGLI
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:05 pm

fair dos to the BMF comment, we have been "affiliated" to them for 7 years now and TBH i am getting sick of the BMF show bull, no improvement this year. the only reason i keep the club with them is their public liability cover for the bike show we organise.
the only reason we now go to the BMF is to advertise the bike show we do to the target audience + chat to traders. best spots to put flyers? toilet doors! everyones gotta use one some time!
oddly enough i offer free club space at our show.. http://www.bikerfestuk.co.uk if you lot would up for it? only got a couple of spaces left now.
next year i will however restrict the pitch size to 7x7mtrs for clubs. running outta room for the other paying traders!

Last edited by leopard_pagan on Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SkippyGLI Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:28 pm

LP, we dumped the BMF years ago, we found we could get year round insurance for the whole MCC for heaps less than the BMF was offering and we could tailor it to suit our needs. We are currently with a well know motorcycle insurance company, have 600+ members and pay around £220 a year which covers us for 10 million public liability, and also insures the club/management team for 5 million each etc. etc. etc. I've got to say it beats the BMF policy hollow. Smile The most important thing we need it for is organising our own events, we don't do official ride outs because they specifically won't cover us for that, and everyone who rides on the road 'should' have their own insurance anyway!

I'll have a look at your show website and get back to you - sometimes short notice gigs are the best, however if you are available try to get to the Ace Cafe on the 14th March - its our club day and ride in, everyone is welcome.

Addendum ; the link don't work LP?????
SkippyGLI
SkippyGLI
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:36 am

opps sorry,, i forgot to the "uk" bit at the end.. works now.

whos the company your insured with?
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SkippyGLI Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:26 am

LP,

The fest looks ace - however, one major point with the website. Its not very evident exactly where the fest is being held!!! I dug around and eventually found the map ect. but even that is a bit general.............. You need something on the home page saying 'Bikefest 2010 to be held at........' then put the link to the map, an assurance that it will be signed off main roads and marshals at the entrance to guide riders in would also be good.

I'll post the link etc. on the MCC website and find out if there is any interest in attending, unfortunatley it fall only two weeks after our National Rally so it may not get the support from us this year it deserves. The other problem for me is that I am actually waiting to find out when I'm going into hospital in June, I have no idea yet so can't even say yay or nay either.. pale
SkippyGLI
SkippyGLI
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:25 pm

up until last month we wernt sure where it was going to be held! hence the kinda vague location.
the field doesnt have an address as such. i dont want to clutter the head part of the site more than it is, but will see if i can improve it.
the reason the map is where it is.. where do you look on any web site for an address? on the contact us page.
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

What do you lot do when your not playing with your Hijets? - Page 2 Empty Bikes and vans go together like ...

Post by Fish Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:24 pm

Hi there all, Just to say hello and glad there are others like me in love with the little devils. I'm an electrician working in London, shame my K1100 won't quite fit in the back ha. Later y'all

Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by leopard_pagan Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:46 pm

its official!
Bikers are small van drivers!
leopard_pagan
leopard_pagan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kentgpz11 Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:14 pm

Or small van drivers are bikers! Cool
kentgpz11
kentgpz11
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by StvC Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:24 am

Hmm thought I'd resurrect this thread, funny how I've decided to get my bike license a the same time as getting a HiJet - spooky.
Did you ever get your idea to market?

I'm a logistics manager by day, and buy and sell quirky cars by night when I'm not playing poker or being a family man (probably the wrong order). We have just started home educating out two boys 10 and 8 this September and enjoying being detached from the system a bit.

Current fleet is a VW T3 Doka I imported from Germany, a Reliant Scimitar GTE, a Reliant Scimitar SS1, a metallic beige Volvo 240 I've slammed and of course the HiJet for my wife (eventually).

StvC
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie0303 Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:56 am

I spend my time playing Bob the builder / Self employed Handyman service , and PAT testing around the Blackpool area , mostly B+Bs Hotels Residential homes etc , + the OAPs that live in the area , I also do a bit of buying and selling cars and keep the Hijet as a project build , although I plan to use it for work and leisure when / if I get it finished ,lol

Best to all

Eddie
eddie0303
eddie0303
Centurion

http://www.emhall-handyman.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:59 am

eddie0303 wrote:I spend my time playing Bob the builder / Self employed Handyman service , and PAT testing around the Blackpool area , mostly B+Bs Hotels Residential homes etc , + the OAPs that live in the area , I also do a bit of buying and selling cars and keep the Hijet as a project build , although I plan to use it for work and leisure when / if I get it finished ,lol

Best to all

Eddie  
Hmm? Pat testing oap's? Surely thats illegal........ Razz
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by LSD Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:48 am

Hey all moved to cornwall 8 years ago to get out the rat race, work part time @ a surf shop in newquay.
After taking care of my two kids i roll around the coast in my jet loaded with sk8/surf boards and mt bike yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Later
P.S K.I.D.S D.O.N.T D.O D.R.U.G.S
LSD
LSD
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:43 am

What do I do when not playing with the Jet?
Cars, bikes, jetskis, canoes, drinkin, shaggin, drugtaking, oh, and working Wink
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Lab_Rat835 Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:20 am

self employed mobile mechanic in northampton, when i amnot work i am restoring a couple classics i have a mk1 corting a 1968 mustang and 4/44 wolsely, when i am not doing them i am usually found proping up my local bar

Danny
Lab_Rat835
Lab_Rat835
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next