Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie from London searching for the Hijet for her.

+2
FrontBackSide2Side
mailou
6 posters

Go down

Newbie from London searching for the Hijet for her. Empty Newbie from London searching for the Hijet for her.

Post by mailou Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:24 pm

Hello, I'm Maila, new on here and looking to buy a Hijet or a Piaggio Porter with the aim of transforming it in a small camper. Already finding this forum very useful... I would appreciate any tips on the best places to find one of those little vans Smile

mailou

Back to top Go down

Newbie from London searching for the Hijet for her. Empty Re: Newbie from London searching for the Hijet for her.

Post by FrontBackSide2Side Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:37 pm

Welcome to the forum :-)

I bought my hijet off eBay but I have no doubt you have already been scouring there Smile
FrontBackSide2Side
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Newbie from London searching for the Hijet for her. Empty Re: Newbie from London searching for the Hijet for her.

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:04 am

welcome  Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:59 am

Hellooooo Smile
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:33 pm

Welcome along.  Very Happy
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:00 pm

Logi wrote:Hellooooo Smile
Calm down, dear! - has the Sussex sun gone to your amorous head?

Welcome, Mailou - it may help to know more about what you're looking for?

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by mailou Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:09 am

PFM wrote:

Welcome, Mailou - it may help to know more about what you're looking for?

Hi, thanks everybody for the welcome.
I was initially really looking for a cheap, older (1994-1999) with a budget of around £600/800 but my other half is trying to convince me to get something newer, which would provide a bit more peace of mind regarding the mechanical/rust/general state of the baby (and he hates old things with a passion, he only believes in brand new shiny and soulless objects).
I have since then been also been looking at the 2004 onwards Piaggio Porters. Thing is, insurance is much more prohibitive with those, and road tax is more to, as well as purchase price, which are all to take into consideration. Basically, I feel a bit lost  Neutral  I don't know what you guy's thoughts are about that...

I am looking at the panel vans and the 6 seater versions, with no hard to fix problems since I am not very mechanically gifted (albeit happy to learn simple things).
Also, since I would be travelling a bit around, been looking for petrol (I have heard Diesel is just too damn unreliable) and 1.3l.

Any advice?

Last edited by mailou on Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot to mention things :))

mailou

Back to top Go down

Post by mailou Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:12 am

FrontBackSide2Side wrote:Welcome to the forum :-)

I bought my hijet off eBay but I have no doubt you have already been scouring there Smile

I've been having a look there yeah, but I do have some sort of mental blockage about buying a car off Ebay somehow. How did you go about it? Didi you go view it before putting in an offer? Are you still protected by the Ebay/Paypal buyers protection?

mailou

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:39 am

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/daihatsu-hijet-for-sale/1070628029#photo-content

View before offer? Well yeah! I'm not going to actually trust somebody else's description.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:37 pm

Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by FrontBackSide2Side Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:37 pm

Unfortunately I'm not very sensible when it comes to these things and bought it on a whim Laughing
FrontBackSide2Side
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by mailou Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:20 pm

Went to see the one in Enfield, nearly got it but did a few checks and turned out the mileage recorded in 2009 was higher than the current mileage....Suspect  that and the owner kept trying to invite me out for a drink and on a weekend away...

mailou

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:28 pm

mailou wrote:
Went to see the one in Enfield, nearly got it but did a few checks and turned out the mileage recorded in 2009 was higher than the current mileage....Suspect  that and the owner kept trying to invite me out for a drink and on a weekend away...

I might be selling mine if yer that hot.. Twisted Evil
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by mailou Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:43 pm

[quote="Logi"]
mailou wrote:

I might be selling mine if yer that hot.. Twisted Evil

I'm not that hot, he's just that creepy

mailou

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:30 pm

To be fair, i'm pretty creepy too Laughing

Just watch for overheating or terminal rust, a good Hijet is great, a bad one a nightmare.
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:43 am

Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by FrontBackSide2Side Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:43 am

well we wont be hearing from her again Laughing
FrontBackSide2Side
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:17 pm

mailou wrote:

I wouldn't worry about it too much. It won't have been intentionally clocked.

Most likely had new clocks because either the VSS sensor had stopped working or fuel gauge or temperature gauge wasn't working.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by mailou Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:24 pm

FrontBackSide2Side wrote:well we wont be hearing from her again Laughing

Still here, just had a few hectic days.

HighlyJetted wrote:

I wouldn't worry about it too much. It won't have been intentionally clocked.

Most likely had new clocks because either the VSS sensor had stopped working or fuel gauge or temperature gauge wasn't working.

Thanks for the info. There was also something about the VIN number not being recognised with the registration number, is that something I should worry about? I have been reading and re-reading your post about the things to look out for when buying a Hi Jet but don't really feel confident in my ability to detect a lemon.

mailou

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:32 pm

As long as the VIN matches the one on the v5c log book it'll most likely be the right vehicle!

Shame you don't live a bit closer as I love a bit of car shopping.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down