Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clutch replacement

4 posters

Go down

Clutch replacement Empty Clutch replacement

Post by jamesstanley Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:52 am

The clutch on my 993 has started slipping. I've never done a clutch before but I understand the gist is:
- prop shaft off
- gearbox off
- clutch is now accessible

Is there anything special I need to know? Or any special tools I'll need? And anything I should look out for when buying the replacement clutch?
jamesstanley
jamesstanley
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Clutch replacement Empty Re: Clutch replacement

Post by FrontBackSide2Side Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:23 pm

Buy a decent branded clutch, don't go for a cheap brand you have never heard of as they are very hit and miss. I tend to drain the gearbox oil but I don't know if that is necessary on these (I've only done front wheel drives where the drive shafts actually go into the box) A clutch alignment tool is handy but not crucial, some clutches come with one. Make sure your new clutch is the complete kit with the release bearing too as you might aswell change the lot whilst you have the box off.
FrontBackSide2Side
FrontBackSide2Side
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:09 pm

Agreed as above although it is possible to improvise a clutch alignment tool if you have a good selection of sockets and don't skimp on the clutch release bearing you will regret not changing it if it gives up and you have to have it all apart again and take a little emery cloth to the flywheel if it looks shiney and check it is flat too while you are there.

Last edited by rich the mechanic on Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sieve like a brain!!)
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:02 pm

Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by jamesstanley Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:13 am

Update on this in case anyone is interested:

I've been driving around a bit more carefully lately and can pretty much avoid slippage entirely so long as I don't floor it going up hills. This is fortunate as I'm fairly busy with university at the moment. I'm doing the Mongol Rally (unfortunately not in the Hijet) from mid-July 'til about September so unless there is catastrophic failure I don't plan to touch the clutch until after I get back.

The advice here is well appreciated and will be useful when I come around to doing the job!
jamesstanley
jamesstanley
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down