Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

idle speed

4 posters

Go down

idle speed Empty idle speed

Post by singledad Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:18 pm

im back with another little problem! my 99 1.3efi is running very slow on idle so slow that when i pull up it dies its been slow since i got it but has got worse latly, is there a idle speed adjustment on these anywhere ?
thought id ask here as this has been the place i get all my answers lol
great bunch on here learnt so much
i got a hijet and im still smiling!! lol

singledad
Centurion

Back to top Go down

idle speed Empty Re: idle speed

Post by rich the mechanic Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:54 pm

On the 1.3 I don't know if it is the same but on the 993 there is a little rubber bung on the throttle body and under it is a screw which adjusts something that affects idle speed alternatively have you checked the timing? You can do it by ear if you have an adjustable distributor hold or get held the throttle at a fast Idle and rotate the dissy back and forth untill you find the highest engine speed then see what it is like and make sure you clamp it back up I don't know which way the dissy spins but it could cause loss of engine speed if it is slipping round.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by singledad Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:37 pm

thanks, but timeing is fine and it doesnt have a dizzy on the 1.3

singledad
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by nc30 Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:05 pm

When I put the new head on my 1.3 I had a similar problem. There's actually an idle speed air control valve, which is a little wax-filled air bleed valve which bleeds air into the throttle body to control the idle speed. When the (warm) coolant passes through this valve, it heats up and melts the wax, allowing the valve to operate (correct me if I'm wrong here somebody). Once I'd bled every last little air bubble out of the coolant system, my van ran and idled sweet as a nut, with no stalling.

What I'm suggesting here is that an air bubble might have got stuck in the idle speed air control valve, which could prevent the wax from melting, and thus give you a funny idle speed.

HighlyJetted's coolant bleeding method is something I definitely recommend, once you've done it you'll realise how many little air pockets and bubbles can get stuck inside the system. I'm not going to detail it here, but I really would recommend it. Can't hurt the van to have an air-free system anyway!

Again, check out HighlyJetted's coolant bleeding write up, it worked absolute wonders for mine!

Best of luck!
nc30
nc30
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by nc30 Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:08 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXQD-38y-94 - 1:55, you'll see the pipe from the back of the cyl head you'll need to bleed from. All credit to HJ here!!!
nc30
nc30
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:54 am

Why thank you nc30, i'm glad that since you've done the coolant fill this way that it has become obvious how much air there was in there after the initial fill!

singledad wrote:thanks, but timeing is fine and it doesnt have a dizzy on the 1.3
Well the 1.3 does have a cam sensor where a dizzy would normal be which determines the timing, and if you retard them they idle slow.

Also if you put the timing belt on wrong they idle slow.

And if you put the timing belt on wrong, then retard the ignition timing - they idle like a POS!!!

But if it just started doing it without the cambelt being changed, and the cam sensor hasn't moved - then I would go checking sensors like the TPS sensor, MAP sensor, and the coolant temperature sensor.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by singledad Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:50 pm

thx hj will try to get out there and check the sensors over weekend, the cambelt hasnt been changed since last year and its been running fine until it was parked up for a day waiting for new battery put that on and thats when it started playing silly beggers!!!

singledad
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by singledad Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:41 am

well tightening the throtle cable worked for about ten days, now when first started cold its rough idle revs up and down then after a min or two its ok  doesnt stall drive a cpl of miles temp gets close to normal and it dies when you pull up a mile or two later its at normal temp and then it doesnt do it!! odd
ps where is the tps on my 1999 1.3efi?

singledad
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down