Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

660 engine compression pressure?

4 posters

Go down

660 engine compression pressure? Empty 660 engine compression pressure?

Post by Junglebiker Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:29 am

I did a search for this but came up with nothing.

Can anybody tell me what the compression pressure for a 660cc 3 cylinder EF engine should be? It's the SOHC 6 valve engine, at least, that's what it looks like from the outside, I haven't actually pulled it apart. It's got a nice, even 130 psi dry/135 psi wet across all three cylinders, so I'm thinking it's probably fine, but I'd just like to know for sure; I'd hate to think everything was fine if there's supposed to be 160 psi minimum or anything like that.

The engine is in a 1992 JDM Diahatsu Hijet 2wd. It was bought used from Japan and apparently used to belong to a shoe store or something, it's got DC Shoe stickers all over it.

Junglebiker

Back to top Go down

660 engine compression pressure? Empty Re: 660 engine compression pressure?

Post by 8bit-ash Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:24 am

Welcome. We don't really have many (maybe any) of those engines over here in the UK, might be worth paying a visit to http://www.minitrucktalk.com/forumdisplay.php?4-Daihatsu-Hi-jet too as i'm sure they'll be a lot more 660cc owners on there.
8bit-ash
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:06 pm

I would think your ok at that pressure a 993cc 3 cylinder has about 140ish.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by Junglebiker Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:57 am

Thanks for all that. I'm thinking that this engine is probably fine. I know I've seen a few postings on this forum about 660 powered vans, anybody else care to weigh in?

Junglebiker

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:09 am

It doesn't sound bad at all.

I've messed with 660 copens and cuores, but not very much.

What is wrong with it, why are you wondering what the compression should be?
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Junglebiker Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:29 am

Well, it came into the shop smoking pretty badly (looked like oil smoke). We cleaned the plugs, ran it again for a short time, then checked the plugs again. Numbers 2 and 3 looked fine, number 1 looked wet. We decided to do a compression check, but all that showed us was a remarkably consistent set of compression figures. We discovered that the crankcase oil had been overfilled, so once we rectified that issue, the amount of smoke went way down. I'm thinking we've more or less solved the smoke issue, (unless we discover that fuel has been leaking into the oil, though the mechanic who was working on it didn't say anything about the oil he drained off smelling like petrol or anything like that).

Valve adjustment is good, carburetion good, etc. While the mechanic was working on it he discovered a big water leak, so right now we're waiting on parts to fix that, (that'll take a couple months anyway, just for them to get here), so it's sort of "back-burnered" for now.

Part of me was almost hoping that it had died so that I could pick up the carcass cheap and put my BMW K1200 engine in it...

Junglebiker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down