Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 60 million dollar question AKA the overheating bugbear

+2
Logi
PFM
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The 60 million dollar question AKA the overheating bugbear - Page 2 Empty Re: The 60 million dollar question AKA the overheating bugbear

Post by rich the mechanic Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:23 pm

Here are the only pics that I have that show anything.

The 60 million dollar question AKA the overheating bugbear - Page 2 22012010

The 60 million dollar question AKA the overheating bugbear - Page 2 22012011
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

The 60 million dollar question AKA the overheating bugbear - Page 2 Empty Re: The 60 million dollar question AKA the overheating bugbear

Post by Reid Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:12 pm

Thank you Rich, it was carburettor connections I wanted.

Reid

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:19 pm

I can show you some carb connections as well but still don't think they will help much.

The 60 million dollar question AKA the overheating bugbear - Page 2 100_1715

Laughing
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:11 pm

Overheating topic revival...

I've just stripped down my 1300 engine that came in Ernie the pickup.

It had over heating problems, air locking, unable to make it stay full of water etc. Fan wouldn't kick in.

The head gasket HAD NOT failed anywhere!

I think the leaking earlier circled nipple and the non fitting radiator pressure cap under the passenger seat were to blame.

But I shall find out slowly.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Steviel81 Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:32 pm

Right, I went to Daihatsu, spoke to them, they said I had the wrong radiator caps fitted, so ordered some more, I was away with work so the missus went to pick them up, they gave her the same ones we've already got fitted!!! monkey

Can anyone picture what radiator caps are fitted exactly and have part numbers please?
Steviel81
Steviel81
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:03 pm

Steviel81 wrote:Can anyone picture what radiator caps are fitted exactly and have part numbers please?
Can't give piccys, but on the 1.0l the cap on the radiator should just be a flat cap, no spring. The cap under the passenger seat is a short-neck, narrow, 0.9 bar sprung cap. FRC74 is the one I get from my local factors, yours should be able to cross-reference from that.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Steviel81 Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:41 pm

PFM wrote:
Steviel81 wrote:Can anyone picture what radiator caps are fitted exactly and have part numbers please?
Can't give piccys, but on the 1.0l the cap on the radiator should just be a flat cap, no spring. The cap under the passenger seat is a short-neck, narrow, 0.9 bar sprung cap. FRC74 is the one I get from my local factors, yours should be able to cross-reference from that.

We've got two of them sprung ones (well four before I take the two Daihatsu sold my missus back to them), I'll have a phone about in the morning, thing is I've got to go back to work tomorrow night and we were going to go away in the camper this weekend, but I don't trust it if it's going to over heat with the wrong caps on it!
Steviel81
Steviel81
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Steviel81 Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:55 pm

Right,

Fitted new, correct caps. Bled it all. Ran fine, went on a 30 min drive, perfect, drove another 30 mins over some Welsh hill side, up and down some big hills, walked the dog, drove 30 mins back, up the big hill to get home, got to the bottom of the missus street, over heated! It filled the expansion tank to the max! Checked the cap seat, seems ok, going to take it off and clean it up with the dremel though to be sure.

Strange thing is, heaters work on hot when aimed to the screen, but cold when on middle and down are cold all the time? So I'm thinking there's a blockage in the heater matrix causing the over heating?

Drove it back to my work, stopped twice to let it cool down, empty the expansion tank and re-filled the system, missed the f*ckin football too!!! Neutral
Steviel81
Steviel81
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:52 pm

Guess guess guess... hope you have time and patience for the wild goose chase

Make yourself something like this, old tyre valve and a bit pipe:-

The 60 million dollar question AKA the overheating bugbear - Page 2 Pressu10

Then hook it onto the nipple under the drivers seat like this:-

The 60 million dollar question AKA the overheating bugbear - Page 2 Pressu11

Then get your foot pump, 12v fag lighter pump or bike pump out and charge it up.

Don't worry about over pressuring it, the rad cap will protect it.

First do it with all the water in the system, see if you can spot the leak. Also get a tyre pressure gauge and see if it loses pressure.

Then drain all the water out and see if you can hear the hiss and watch the pressure drop.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Steviel81 Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:58 pm

I'm pretty certain its just a blockage as it's not leaking any water out, it's all going into the expansion tank. I'm going to order a new thermostat and do another system flush out and go from there.
Steviel81
Steviel81
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:20 pm

Water kept within a container does not boil at 100 degrees. The fixed boiling point of water is a myth. You can have liquid water at 130 degree no problem, but if you open the container it will become steam instantly.

Water starts to bubble when heater at about 85 degrees if not kept in an enclosed environment. Even lower at low pressure e.g. up a mountain

A slight leak on one of the rubber pipes on top of the engine under the manifold will allow the water pressure to drop a little, thus allowing the boil to occur, thus resulting in an air pocket which expands quickly, thus the over heating.

You would never see this water leaking as it will evaporate instantly because it will be bloody hot. This is why the water gets pushed out into your header tank - because your making steam somewhere thus the pressure goes higher than the rad cap can retain - for good reasons too, you don't want it to explode.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:22 pm

P.s if you thermostat was stuck closed it would over heat in 5 to 10 mins from start up easy.

If it was stuck open you would never get half way up the temp gauge
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2