Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hijet fuel tank sender

4 posters

Go down

hijet fuel tank sender Empty hijet fuel tank sender

Post by jbenny2 Tue May 08, 2012 12:57 pm

does any one know what the fuel tank sender should look like.

Mines a black plastic tube with what looks a strip of curcuit board inside, but no float, might this have dropped off insode the tank?

If i look on the work shop manual it shows a traditional float on the end of an arm?

Have i got the wrong one fitted as my fuel gauge don't work.

Does anyone know how to test the sender, i've tried putting a multi meter (set on resistance) between blue and the black/white and both to graound (black) and nothing.

also does anyone know how to check the fuel gauge? can i connect in to 12v and earth and then just earth the sensor wire and it will go up to full?

jbenny2
Clubman

Back to top Go down

hijet fuel tank sender Empty Re: hijet fuel tank sender

Post by 8bit-ash Tue May 08, 2012 7:13 pm

I would say your float is floating about in the tank...Mine did it and i've seen others do the same. I'd say you pretty much definitely need to find yourself a new sender.
8bit-ash
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by jbenny2 Wed May 09, 2012 1:28 pm

Simply fix i found the float in the bottom of the tank popped it into the tube, and hey presto the fuel gauge works again.

Must have been removed and refitted by someone that didn't know the float falls out, as the tube is only a couple of mm from the bottom of the tank and there's no way it could fall off unless the tank was heavaly distorted!

Just waiting for the new fuel pipes and i can get the hijet back on the road. Very Happy

jbenny2
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri May 11, 2012 10:38 am

jbenny2 wrote:Simply fix i found the float in the bottom of the tank popped it into the tube, and hey presto the fuel gauge works again.

Must have been removed and refitted by someone that didn't know the float falls out, as the tube is only a couple of mm from the bottom of the tank and there's no way it could fall off unless the tank was heavaly distorted!

Just waiting for the new fuel pipes and i can get the hijet back on the road. Very Happy

That turned out alright Smile

Trying to find a new sender seems pretty rare, as I'm after one Mad
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by agagag Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:51 pm

Do you need to empty and remove the fuel tank in order to replace the fuel sender?

agagag
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by 8bit-ash Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:02 am

Not to replace it. You have to drop it down to get access to its on top of the tank.
8bit-ash
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by agagag Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:26 am

I see, was going to look at it today but will probably leave it for a dryer day.

How heavy is the tank? Dropping it down and back up Assuming that It has very little petrol inside.Can I just do it by myself?
Seems like I will need to arrange some assistance for this job.

Thanks!

agagag
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:42 am

Some big blocks of wood or tyres are handy for propping it up Wink
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by 8bit-ash Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:24 pm

I did it by myself no problem. Just be careful not to pull any pipes apart as there's a few that get in the way from memory.
8bit-ash
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

hijet fuel tank sender Empty Fuel tank sendor

Post by jbenny2 Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:02 pm

I've had my tank off several times now to fix the fuel gauge but still no luck.

The trick to removing the tank is to drain most of the fuel out as it is way to heavy and a bit dangerous to remove full Sad then place something underneath it to lower it on to like some blocks of wood as you won't be able to lower it straight to the floor in 1 go.
Next remove the large fuel filler hose at the front and if you can reach it, the electrical connector at the back, which is near the brake balance compensator (large spring thing on the back axle)
Then undo the front bolts then the rear and drop it on to the blocks of wood, now you should be able to get to the mass of pipes that go into the top of the tank and remove them without putting any strain onto the connectors. You can also get to the electrical connection at the rear this way if you can't find it before.
One word of caution, make sure the tank is nearly empty otherwise you will need something to put the fuel into and don't be temped to put it into a rusty old Jerry can then reuse it as it will block the pump pick up filter inside the tank, and you might be a long way from home when this happens! Rolling Eyes

Problem i have is after several attempts i can't get my fuel sender to work inside the tank when installed under the van. I've tested it before fitting it and all is ok but as soon as i'ts fitted it very quickly fail, I've even run a separate earth to the sender but it just won't play ball confused

At first i thought it was the tank pressurizing and bowing the bottom of the tank out to allow the sensor to come out the bottom of the dip-tube but when i removed it, it was still inside the tube.

I'm now stuck with a Jerry can in the boot and waiting for the tail tail hesitation that I'm out of petrol again, just pray I'm not overtaking someone at the time!

jbenny2
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by 8bit-ash Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:06 pm

jbenny2 wrote: just pray I'm not overtaking someone at the time!

Don't think you have to worry about that. Laughing

8bit-ash
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down