Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need a fuel gauge sender unit anyone have one for sale

3 posters

Go down

Need a fuel gauge sender unit  anyone have one for sale  Empty Need a fuel gauge sender unit anyone have one for sale

Post by MATTT Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:34 pm

Just dropped the tank and checked the sender wires on the top all ok (it had a new tank about 5 yrs ago )
pulled the 2 pin plug apart all fine,shorted out each wire individually and neither the gauge or the warning light come on
went through all the electrics and found the cigarette lighter also no good,no power to socket
Everything else seems to work,dropped down the fusebox and checked all the fuses ok

Any ideas?

Last edited by MATTT on Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total

MATTT
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Need a fuel gauge sender unit  anyone have one for sale  Empty Re: Need a fuel gauge sender unit anyone have one for sale

Post by MATTT Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:03 pm

Earthed it properly and the gauge and bulb are okay
The tank out and found the end cap off,so fixed that back on okay, but the slider isn't giving a reading on the wires when it moves up and down
The top wires are okay so it's the slider or the resistors inside the sealed top cap,if anyone has a sender immediately in need of one

Thanks

MATTT
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Need a fuel gauge sender unit  anyone have one for sale  Empty Re: Need a fuel gauge sender unit anyone have one for sale

Post by danielfrisbee Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:02 pm

I have to try and fix mine too so reading with interest, though no help to you I'm afraid..
danielfrisbee
danielfrisbee
Chatterbox

Back to top Go down

Post by MATTT Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:23 pm

Well
2 weeks after fitting back the sender unit that read open circuit ,it decided this morning to suddenly work
The fuel warning light was on this morning,so put £10 in and it's reading on the gauge too
Been working all day !

MATTT
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Manks Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:44 am

MATTT wrote:Well
2 weeks after fitting back the sender unit that read open circuit ,it decided this morning to suddenly work
The fuel warning light was on this morning,so put £10 in and it's reading on the gauge  too
Been working all day !
Have you used any fuel additives at any time?
I've heard conflicting stories that they can harm the float unit on some cars and that they can 'unstick', faulty sender units!
Manks
Manks
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:38 am

The main problem with the 1300 sender units is that the plastic tube the float and circuit board are housed in distorts like a certain Fyffes product and consequently the float jams in the bowed tube usually at the bottom.  Also the slotted plastic disc  which holds the printed circuit board that the float slides up and down,  falls off the bottom of the tube and the float  goes for swimming lessons and does come back. Tank out and play hunt the thimble is the only answer there. 

If the black tube is banana shaped even slightly then it will give problems.  My MPV gauge plays up all the time and I I find that if I fill the tank right up and do about 80 miles so tank is around half empty,  I reverse up at speed and then stamp hard on the brakes  the fuel sloshing  about will dislodge the float and hey presto the gauge is working again for a while. It's been working for the past couple of weeks and I try to alternate between running on LPG and petrol. 
Trying to find a working second hand fuel sender unit is very hit and  miss. And no guarantee how long it will work if you should find one. I just won't sell them now.  Shell out for a new one is sometimes the only option.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down