Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hijet 4x4 fuel tank

4 posters

Go down

hijet 4x4 fuel tank Empty hijet 4x4 fuel tank

Post by jbenny2 Fri May 04, 2012 3:39 pm

i'm having some problems with my fuel tank.

The fuel gauge has always been a bit doggey reading half full when you've filled up to the top and 3/4 when you've just run out on the side of the road! but now it's stopped working compleatly about 6 months ago.

It's always' smelt of petrol after i filled up i just put this down to the breather was venting or possibly me spilling a bit. but when i filled up yesterday and drove round the corner and parked up there was a patch of petrol on the ground under the tank when i came to drive off half an hour later.

Now i've got home i've had a good look underneath the tank looks a lot older than the van (it's only 2 years old so shouldn't be rusty) and i've also noticed then the rear to fuel tank fixing bolts have been replaced with cable ties ??? as the bolt holes don't line up. Also the seam around tank hs been hammered over to provide clearence around the rear leaf spring hanger?

I'm now thinking it's not the right tank for the van. It's a 2010 Piaggio Porter 6 seater van with optional 4x4. Can anyone tell be what the fuel tank should look like as i've seen a few different ones on ebay and google searches. I don't mind swapping it over but i need to get the right one.

Any help much apreciated
James

jbenny2
Clubman

Back to top Go down

hijet 4x4 fuel tank Empty Re: hijet 4x4 fuel tank

Post by jbenny2 Tue May 08, 2012 12:34 pm

I've found the culprit of the fuel leak it was the large 3/4" hose that joins into the top of the tank had perrised as it was only a bit of old heater hose that had been stuck on. I've managed to find a company that sells 3/4" fuel grade hose had will hopfulley get if fitted this week.

Does anyone know what this large hose is for?

It's much to big for a fuel line must me a breather or something i'm guessing, unless anyone can suggest different

jbenny2
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Tue May 08, 2012 1:22 pm

Ye may struggle for answers here, the 4x4 is a rare beastie, ive never actually seen one in the flesh.
Reckon its a breather, post a piccy of your tank and ill compare it to the new one I have
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by 8bit-ash Tue May 08, 2012 1:25 pm

When I was looking at the list of recalls the other day I noticed there was a recall for rusty fuel tanks. Might be worth calling your local dealer.

8bit-ash
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

hijet 4x4 fuel tank Empty fuel tank

Post by emmabskin Tue May 08, 2012 8:00 pm

Sounds like someone has mashed a 1000cc one on there, you might be alright with a normal 1300 one. Sorry we haven't got one at the moment.
emmabskin
emmabskin
Chatterbox

http://daihatsuhijet.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 8bit-ash Tue May 08, 2012 8:52 pm

8bit-ash wrote:When I was looking at the list of recalls the other day I noticed there was a recall for rusty fuel tanks. Might be worth calling your local dealer.

oh yeah ignore this I only read half the opening post. Recon someone drilled the tank for fuel...only reason I can think why someone would swap it.
8bit-ash
8bit-ash
Centurion

Back to top Go down

hijet 4x4 fuel tank Empty fuel tank

Post by emmabskin Wed May 09, 2012 8:02 am

mm especially as it's only a couple of years old, bet someone was p...ed off.
emmabskin
emmabskin
Chatterbox

http://daihatsuhijet.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jbenny2 Wed May 09, 2012 1:19 pm

The large pipe is actually just connected to the fuel filler just under the drivers seat, must me a vent to help when your filling up quickly to stop airlocks in the filler neck.

I always thought the 4x4 system was fitted by an aftermarket company, but i've just noticed a nice big Dihatsu D logo on the transfere case that conects onto the PTO output on the gearbox and drives the front propshaft.

Spares for the 4x4 bit are going to prove imposible to get as hijet spares are as rear a rockin horse poo! Mad

jbenny2
Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down