Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sticking Steering Lock

3 posters

Go down

Sticking Steering Lock Empty Sticking Steering Lock

Post by PFM Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:23 pm

Can't find any reference to this problem on here, which surprises me. Years ago I had a problem on my '95 Hijet where the ignition key sometimes wouldn't turn. I was told the answer is to remove the plastic cowl and use a hammer and punch to hit a little pin in the top of the barrel. This works for a while, but the problem recurs and in the end the lock has to be replaced. My '98 Hijet is now having the same problem and I found that someone has butchered it in the past, damaging the casting around the pin.

Anyone know what the pin does? I'm thinking of filling the hole with epoxy metal and a self-tapper so I can screw it down, what do you think?

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Sticking Steering Lock Empty Re: Sticking Steering Lock

Post by rich the mechanic Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:44 pm

I haven't looked but it sounds like a retaining pin for the barrel do you have to remove the pin to get the barrel out of the casting?
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:40 pm

It could be a retaining pin - I can't see one anywhere else, but don't know if it has a pin or some other means of restraint, possibly under the bezel around the key-way. Somebody's had the lock off the column in the past and helpfully used headed, rather than shear, bolts so it's easy to get off. They've enlarged the hole in the casting, and I can clearly see what's left of the pin. Pressing this down reduces the number of times the key won't turn, and when the key has turned it will press down further. However, when pressed down hard the key won't return to the 'off' position so can't be removed.

I can't quite grasp how hitting the pin has helped in the past, but it certainly did.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:21 pm

I did have a look in the manuel but without looking at the van it wasn't clear and no mention of the pin other than to remove the barrel you need to turn the key to acc and slide a rod or similar through a hole and then you can slide the barrel out.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:48 pm

Thanks for taking the time, Rich. Can't see a hole to slide a rod through though. I'll have another go at it next week.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:56 pm

Have you got a copy of the manuel? If not PM me your email and I'll send you the relevant section.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:13 pm

I have the S85 manual, which doesn't seem to refer to the steering lock, and the Porter 1.3 16v manual which refers to it only briefly on pages ES 86 & 87. Do you have anything else?

Interestingly, my driver used the van today with a spare key and had far less problems.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:08 pm

mine is the S85 manuel as well and it is in steering (SR) page 3.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:01 pm

PFM wrote:

Interestingly, my driver used the van today with a spare key and had far less problems.

Chauffeur driven Hijet, eh? Wish i had a driver... Wink
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:14 pm

Me too, but just remembered I got a spare key cut and it works fine in everything except the boot which is a little sticky so maybe it's a wear issue.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:11 am

LOL, Yogi - you mean you guys have to drive yourselves?

There's no steering or suspension section in my manual - not even listed in the index! The file is 3 cyl EFI.pdf at 76,436Kb. Am I missing out on something better?

Tailgate locks can get sticky - I think it's either lack of use or muck thrown up from road. WD or graphite powder should do it.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:09 am

Sorry to be serious for a mo. But DO NOT use WD40 on door locks other than to free them off. Always use oil to lube them. WD lubes them for a wee bit but as its a degreaser it will strip all lube off and the lock will seize up
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:21 pm

WD40 is not all it's cracked up to be chain/spray grease is good in locks and PFM it sounds like you only have the EFI supliment everything else is covered in the main manuel I was lucky and found Essex Libraries listed a diesel manuel and I got it out so I had something even if it didn't cover everything to find it was the full book with all the supliments so I scanned the whole thing in except the diesel bit.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by PFM Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:52 pm

Sorry, should have made it clearer re WD40. Still think graphite powder is best though.

I think the S85 manual was one LP posted on here, but the link seems not to work now. The index lists General Information, Maintenance, Engine Mechanical (partial), EFi system (missing), Emission Control, Fuel System, Ignition System, Clutch, Manual Transmission, Body, Body Electrical and HArness & Wiring Diagram (partial), so it's obviously not complete but better than nothing.

PFM
Jet Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down