Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

failed the MOT

+2
HighlyJetted
waz
6 posters

Go down

failed the MOT Empty failed the MOT

Post by waz Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:36 pm

Van just failed, not to sad as it was only the back box. I knew it would be a bit of a problem but hoped I might get an advisory. Ordered one of ebay £100 including delivery.

Waz
waz
waz
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

failed the MOT Empty Re: failed the MOT

Post by HighlyJetted Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:24 pm

Didn't fancy a bit of a bodge it and scarper, or maybe a nice custom stainless system?
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:21 pm

You coulda got an aftermarket backbox?

failed the MOT 41592_275407966698_3477327_n

Laughing
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by waz Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:48 pm

HighlyJetted wrote:Didn't fancy a bit of a bodge it and scarper, or maybe a nice custom stainless system?

Got to look after the penny's and I don't think I will have the van long enough to justify a SS one.

Waz
waz
waz
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

failed the MOT Empty failed mot....... me too

Post by bones 851 Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:19 am

never mind mate, mines failed as well, rear brake pipe (n/s) tried the old wire brush and grease job, didnt fool them though, just finished doing the job this evening, knackered now , sparkling mot cert 2 morrow ya hoo,,,,,,, santa happy motoring bones.... was that a standard exhaust from fleabay, what size engine,,,,
bones 851
bones 851
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:17 am

Keep in mind the MOT cannot dismantle componets.

So if you slip a bit of rubber tubing over a hose then they cannot see it, and thus they must test the vehicle as presented.

Another sneaky trick, if a car has blacked out front windows, it should fail, but if you wind the windows down, again they must test the vehicle as presented and it will pass.

Honda CRX's have big plastic side skirts that cover the whole cill, often they are completely rotten under the covers, but they still pass the MOT as the tester cannot see/test the rot.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by waz Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:57 pm

bones 851 wrote:n... was that a standard exhaust from fleabay, what size engine,,,,

This is the item number 120702562302, worth having a look as they do them for all the hijets. £90 + £9.99 delivery. The mot station quoted £165 + vat and a local exhaust place £125 +vat but that included
fitting.

Waz
waz
waz
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

failed the MOT Empty failed mot....... me too

Post by bones 851 Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:03 pm

yaa,hooo, back on the road again full mot, ,bloke at garage just looked over work done and printed out new mot, , the reason i had enquired re exhaust was i was sure i could here it blowing slightly, but it must have been ok, happy motoring, although jesus its windy up here, coming home was like being on a bloody barge boat in the middle of the north see,,,,,,, affraid
bones 851
bones 851
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by waz Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:13 pm

Ordered the exhaust yesterday after 4 pm delivered this afternoon. Well pleased with the service.
Is it easy to fit or best left to the garage to fit.

Waz
waz
waz
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:12 pm

HighlyJetted wrote:Keep in mind the MOT cannot dismantle componets.

So if you slip a bit of rubber tubing over a hose then they cannot see it, and thus they must test the vehicle as presented.

Another sneaky trick, if a car has blacked out front windows, it should fail, but if you wind the windows down, again they must test the vehicle as presented and it will pass.

Honda CRX's have big plastic side skirts that cover the whole cill, often they are completely rotten under the covers, but they still pass the MOT as the tester cannot see/test the rot.

Windows yes that works also if the outside door handles don't work then they must use the interior ones but if you fit a cover over something they failed and it's not a standard item they can remove it and they can ring the department to get permission to disassemble most don't becasue they start to lose money.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:23 pm

Mine's about to get it's pre-MOT list done.... affraid
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by bushwhacker Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:28 pm

I found that the cost of a stainless exhaust system was slightly less than half the cost of a standard complete exhaust supplied and fitted. Surprise, surprise mine ended up with a stainless system (actually as the Daihatsu garage advised; he thought it would be cheaper as well.)

There is a postscript to that: his boss refused to check the vehicle for performance problems on the grounds that it had a non standard exhaust fitted. Sometimes you just can't win.

Last edited by bushwhacker on Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Missing letter.)
bushwhacker
bushwhacker
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:31 pm

Logi wrote:Mine's about to get it's pre-MOT list done.... affraid

What? Loads of under seal so you can't notice the rot!
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

Post by waz Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:36 pm

[quote="bushwhacker"]I found that the cost of a stainless exhaust system was slightly less than half the cost of a standard complete exhaust

Bushwhacker were did you get the ss exhaust from?

Waz
waz
waz
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by bushwhacker Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:38 pm

Longlife exhausts I think it was called.

I am unsure as to whether it is a franchise or a centrally owned firm but the head office is in Wales somewhere. They have branches around the place. Mine came from Basingstoke.

Before you get too excited it is worth pointing out that Daihatsu quoted me over £800 for the complete exhaust and VAT. Fitting was extra but I don't think the whole job would have left me with any change out of £1000. Since it is not a Roller it was not a sensible proposition.

There are other firms doing this sort of thing so there is choice. In this case I rang up one firm only to find it was now Longlife.

I found the original number in the Carnoisseur accessories catalogue so that may be a good place to start. My catalogue is now out of date but I ordered it over the phone (0845 1301077).

PS
I seem to remember the original quote was £883 or thereabouts. The catalyst was about £480 on its own.

The only part available from the exhaust companies was the back box at about £125, I think. Everything else had to come from a Daihatsu dealer so I was told.

Since the exhaust had failed the MOT something had to happen. Certainly it could not have been bodged as the entire thing was rotten. So much so that when the fitter took it off and shook it, it rattled quite badly.

Last edited by bushwhacker on Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Remembered more about prices.)
bushwhacker
bushwhacker
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by waz Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:28 pm

well got the ticket on the van this morning so ok for another year. Bit surprised at the new mot, just a A4 printed sheet of paper than you can knock up on a computer. Had a look can't see a MOT station imprint either.
Bushwacker, thanks for the info on SS exhaust.
Waz
waz
waz
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:13 pm

Yeah, first new mot i saw, thought it was a fail....... Embarassed
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by HighlyJetted Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:11 am

No imprint, but its on the database, which is loads more fraud proof.

MOT certificates have been like this for 6 years or so round here.
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

Back to top Go down

failed the MOT Empty Longlife stainless steel exhaust dealer

Post by bushwhacker Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:20 pm

WAZ.

I got a bit bored today and had a look around the internet. It would appear that your nearest Longlife exhaust dealer is in Ashford:

Unit 11, Grove Business Park
Henwood Industrial Estate
Ashford
Kent
TN24 8DR
01233 210780
bushwhacker
bushwhacker
Centurion

Back to top Go down

Post by waz Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:38 pm

Thanks for that Bushwacker. I have got a new one fitted now and with a 2 year guarantee that will do for me. The van is sound bodywise,just cosmetic on the paint. There is no sign of bad corrosion underneath so for what it cost to keep on the road I will keep it for a long as I can.

Waz
waz
waz
Cinquecento

Back to top Go down

Post by rich the mechanic Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:42 pm

HighlyJetted wrote:No imprint, but its on the database, which is loads more fraud proof.

MOT certificates have been like this for 6 years or so round here.

That's just the dodgy Cheshire ones ours changed this year within the last few months got a transit MOT'ed for someone who was being taken for a ride at his tester got old type ticket took my car in couple mounts later got the new type then ran the van through.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down