Micro Van Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie, track control arm woes and steering arm question

4 posters

Go down

Newbie, track control arm woes and steering arm question Empty Newbie, track control arm woes and steering arm question

Post by jonb67 Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:28 pm

Hi All,

Feel like I'm at an AA meeting....

My name's jon, and I recently made the mistake of buying my brother's hijet. It overheats, loses water, fuel sender works intermitantly and possibly not accurately, neither does the horn. The lights are cracked and the doormirror needs attention!

That however is all fine! When he finally gave me the mot certificate it had about 30 hours left and needless to say, it failed.

I've fixed everything but have a couple of things that may be useful, and a a question for y'all.

First things first, both the track control arms (lower wishones) on the front broke removing them (the threads sheared off). Replacements have been tricky. I'm not rich enough to pay oem prices. I ordered a pair and when the turned up they weren't right.

I was sent FCA6531 and FCA6530. these are firstline parts and they list them as correct for my vehicle and even cross reference them to the correct oem part number. However, they have a straighter arm, and the forward facing component was longer and a different angle. (both about three inches out) They also had a taper balljoint with a thread and nut, and the ones that came off mine were an unthreaded pin with a groove to take a clamping pinch bolt. VECO and Quiton Hazell and ADL list the right part, but no one has them in stock. I've managed to find one side, and assuming it's correct when it comes in later this morning, I'll just have one to repair with the welder (yes, I know thats not ideal.)

Ok, here's the question:

Is the centre steering arm the same on all models of the same age or is the pick up different from the van, and is the big deck pick up different again?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Jon

jonb67

Back to top Go down

Newbie, track control arm woes and steering arm question Empty Re: Newbie, track control arm woes and steering arm question

Post by rich the mechanic Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:25 pm

Hi and welcome I don't know the answer but you haven't said what year or capacity you have and there is nothing wrong with welding and re-tapping/threading it is a sound way of making a repair and if you have access then also using thread serts or heli-coils are next best.
rich the mechanic
rich the mechanic
Jet Addict

http://www.thread-bare.biz

Back to top Go down

Newbie, track control arm woes and steering arm question Empty Re: Newbie, track control arm woes and steering arm question

Post by HighlyJetted Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:07 pm

Likewise, I wish I could answer your questions but your in a community of limited enthusiast - although we make up for quantity with quality!

I would bet that the steering arm is the same on most of the models, but thats just a total guess.

Are you sure the "wrong arms" won't actually fit? Maybe the OEM replacement has shifted from the pinch/clamp bolt type to a threaded fitment.

If the length is about the same, and the taper is good, and the thread for the "steering rack" end is right then maybe they are compatible?
HighlyJetted
HighlyJetted
Hijet Overdose

http://www.daihatsuhijet.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Logi Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:06 am

Hello Jon, at least now you've taken the first step, admitting you have a Hijet. Very Happy

Firstly, i'd kick the sh Exclamation te outta your brother, then send him for surgery to remove the Hijet stuck up his....Anyway, i digress. Very Happy

I'm guessing as it's a big deck it's reasonably new?

I would guess they will be the same, simple cost fact, making them different on what is in all reality the same front end would be a needless expense.
Possibly asking your local(or not) "friendly" Daihatsu dealer? Obviously pretending you're prepared to get shafted for a gen part Wink
I'd guess the threaded part on the pattern part is cos in engineering terms it's easier to thread something than taper it(esp as it's prob made in a wee tin shed in some Far East shanty town)

Must be time for a parts manual?
Logi
Logi
Jet Warrior

Back to top Go down

Newbie, track control arm woes and steering arm question Empty move along the bus....

Post by jonb67 Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:57 pm

Mine's an '02 plate 1.3efi big deck pickup with Prins lpg conversion.

Thanks muchly for the responses.

The track control arm issue was more as a heads up for the users of the forum - I think there are two types and that after market (non oem) one type is much easier to get than the other. Following some excellent work by my local motor factors chasing up suppliers and them chasing firstline (the only manufacturer that seemed to have any of either type) I believe they have solved the cross referencing problem, the wrong stock holding issue and it should all be fine now for anyone that wants any.

Given that the oem ones are £170+vat each and the aftermarket ones £45+vat its useful to know!

My centre steering arm issue is based on the same problem. *If* there are two types... (and i don't know if there is) is it age related (ie they change after 2001 for example) or type related (ie vans and busses have one type and pickups another.)

Jon

jonb67

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down